Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Moving XenDesktop 7.15 database to a new SQL server

Hal Buruto

Question

Hi All,

We are running Xendesktop 7.15 LTSR (CU1) and our DB team are currently upgrading the SQL servers to a newer version of SQL/OS. We need to move the Citrix databases to this new SQL server.

I did a search on this forum and google and a lot of answers seem to point to https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX140319  for the Xendesktop bit -- however, (maybe it is just me) but this kb article seems to have been updated and do not outline and provide the steps to correctly move the database to a new sql server anymore. If anyone can provide the steps, advise or correct link, it would be much appreciated.

As for PVS, I found this https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX130499 -- my only question is, on step 3 it says to shutdown all target devices -- surely there is a way to do this without causing total downtime to our targets?

Many thanks to all in advance.

13 answers to this question

Hi,

Just to add. If you have two DDCs, then first disable Configuration- and Monitoring-Logging and then move one DC after the other to avoid downtime. You cannot leverage the LHC feature to avoid downtime in this case. If you have only one DDC you'll have downtime. The same applies to PVS (one by one). If you're using PVS Accelerator it might stop working after the PVS DB Move and needs to get reconfigured on the Xen Layer using CLI. After the PVS move I'll strongly recommend to test if machines can be booted successfully.

Regards

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Christoph Sinabell said:

Hi,

Just to add. If you have two DDCs, then first disable Configuration- and Monitoring-Logging and then move one DC after the other to avoid downtime. You cannot leverage the LHC feature to avoid downtime in this case. If you have only one DDC you'll have downtime. The same applies to PVS (one by one). If you're using PVS Accelerator it might stop working after the PVS DB Move and needs to get reconfigured on the Xen Layer using CLI. After the PVS move I'll strongly recommend to test if machines can be booted successfully.

Regards

Hi Christoph,

Thanks for the heads up -- we do have a couple of DDCs in our current farm. So basically you disable these items per DDC so that at least 2nd DDC can still broker connections while the 1st DDC is being configured to use the new SQL server?

12 hours ago, Carl Stalhood1709151912 said:

I copied the content from CTX140319 to https://www.carlstalhood.com/delivery-controller-1808-and-licensing/#changedbstrings

As for PVS, you can probably do it without stopping the targets. If you have a test environment, then test it while targets are running.

Hi Carl,

Thanks for that -- Citrix should pay you for hosting something that should be on their documentation website :)

I've had a look through and saw all the powershell commands that you need to run to perform this task. Do I need to run them on each DDC on our site (we have 2) ?

Cheers

On 10/9/2019 at 11:50 AM, THOMAS NG said:

Have anyone successfully updated the Citrix SQL strings using the PS scripts from Citrix, instead of running each command manually?  I have a standalone SQL server, so I only need to run "Change_XD_To_ConnectionString.ps1" I believe.  Thanks.  

I'd be interested to hear about your experience using those strings as well.  Has anyone run those strings instead of running the PS manually?

On 2/26/2020 at 8:03 PM, Bruce Payne1709160786 said:

I'd be interested to hear about your experience using those strings as well.  Has anyone run those strings instead of running the PS manually?

The script didn't work for me.  There were a couple of errors on detaching the DB that caused the script to fail.  In the end I had to run each command manually on each DCs.  It wasn't that hard, a lot of copy and paste.  

On 3/20/2019 at 11:36 AM, Carl Stalhood1709151912 said:

Yes, run them on both. Set them to $null. Then set them to the new string.

Hi Carl,

I ran the PS commands on my 1st DC without issues last night, but it all went wrong on DC2.  I got a load of errors and then when I tried to do anything further I got Permission denied and an advised solution of rebuilding the DCs and DC was also spannered.

Upshot is I am now restoring both DCs from backup :-(

Any idea why this happened? I ask as we have 4 production Dcs this needs to be done on (last night was test DCs thankfully).