Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Issue with moving installation to new server

Nikolaos Beglitis

Question

Hi,

I had to move the XenServer 7.6 installation to a new server. Spec is similar but different. Old machine was based on a Supermicro X9SCM-F, new machine on a Supermicro X10SRi-F. Anyway the idea and expectation was to move everything across, PCI cards, disks etc, boot the new system and somehow have it power up just fine. I am fairly certain I've done this before. However, after the new system booted, I was not able to connect via XenCenter. As it has been reported before, XAPI keeps restarting, xcp-rrdd has high load, various xe commands get a Connection Refused until you keep re-running them and they succeed but any chances are actually getting lost etc. Looking at the logs everything is a bit of a mess but it looks as if some network driver is crashing. I don't have anything too concrete though, nothing jumps out. 

I don't have any VM backups or metadata - obviously this is not a production system.

Any suggestions on how could I salvage this? I'll move the main XenServer disk back to the old machine to see if it is behaving fine or if it is totally broken but I would rather avoid having to do so. Surely, XenServer can't be so brittle. Any checks I could do, logs to look at etc? 

Many thanks!

6 answers to this question

Thanks for your reply Tobias. Sure, doing a clean install and migrating everything would be ideal but it wasn't possible in that case. My fault for not exporing the VMs first of course. I would however be a bit surprised if the BIOS had anything to do with it. Drivers also. At the end of the day the correct drivers should be picked up during boot time. No matter what the situation is, the system should drop into some mode were it can be re-configured. Now it seems that the system is not usable. There must be 1 thing it doesn't like which should be possible to fix but I don't see what it could possibly be. 

XenServer has always been picky about hardware. There is a very good chance installing fresh would clean up the weirdness. Of course 

its also possible a clean install would have issues as well and your hardware just isn't XenServer friendly. I would make sure in BIOS 

and and all power savings items are disabled. BIOS is the latest version and see if that gets you anywhere. If not then exporting, clean

install and importing would be the next step.

--Alan--

Just to summarise the steps since the issue has now been resolved. Just to clarify that both the old and the new hardware are perfectly good and are "server" compliant. Reminder, the old set-up was a Supermicro X9SCM-F with an Intel Xeon E3-1220L v2 and 32GB of ECC DDR3 memory. The new setup is a Supermicro X10SRi-F with an Intel E5-2628 v3 and 64GB of DDR4 memory. Old system also had an Intel quad Ethernet PCI Express card and two LSI host adapters running in vanilla non-RAID mode passed through to a VM each for NAS virtualisation with FreeNAS and OpenMediaVault. These were also moved across to the new machine.

When I moved the Xenserver disk to the old machine last night, the issue persisted. Therefore and didn't appear to be a hardware issue. The whole hardware move could very possibly be a red herring. The day before the move I had updated via XenCenter the system from 7.2 to 7.6 by incrementally installing all the updated and hot fixes. Something must have gone wrong during that process. I wrote the installation image of 7.6 to a USB, booted the new machine loaded with all the hardware and chose the Upgrade option. XenServer reinstalled itself without touching any VM related data. That worked but left the network interfaces botched. That was fine though because XAPI was now working fine therefore I did an Emergency Network Reset and reconfigured the interfaces in all the VMs. Also reconfigured the passthrough options since now the PCI identifiers were different and was good to go 10 minutes after the update had finished, phew!!!

Thank you all.

Archived