Welcome to our new Citrix community!

HP ProCurve Switch - Link Aggregation - XenServer 6.5

Reyn Moran

Question

What is the best way to connect a XenServer Host to a ProCurve switch using link aggregation? I have LACP on for the ProCurve and the Xen set to LACP w/ load balancing based off IP (that was what I understood to be best practice) and I am still seeing bonds dropping (bond went from 2/2 to 1/2). Please advise.

11 answers to this question

If your ProCurve is on a stable firmware release upgrading XenServer would be the path as it would have the latest

more stable drivers in the build and 6.5 XenServer is no longer supported. It could be something simple like cabling

that is causing the links to go up and down. But there are no magic settings I can think of that would help. LACP 

is just suppose to work ! 

--Alan--

29 minutes ago, Alan Lantz said:

If your ProCurve is on a stable firmware release upgrading XenServer would be the path as it would have the latest

more stable drivers in the build and 6.5 XenServer is no longer supported. It could be something simple like cabling

that is causing the links to go up and down. But there are no magic settings I can think of that would help. LACP 

is just suppose to work ! 

--Alan--

Alan,

Can't upgrade (or SHOULDN'T) as the ML350 G6's that we run as hosts are not supported past 6.1 much less 6.5. We have a very mission critical server running on the system that I can't risk not working by going to latest.......right? Am I mistaken (I know I certainly could be lol)?

Sounds like it's time to get a replacement budget together. You're going to not get any security updates, patches, or anything now for any system older than XS 7.X.

I understand the need/desire to hold onto old systems, but at some point it's just not sustainable, not to mention finding anyone with a similar system on which to try things out on your behalf will also become increasingly difficult.

-=Tobias

34 minutes ago, Tobias Kreidl said:

Sounds like it's time to get a replacement budget together. You're going to not get any security updates, patches, or anything now for any system older than XS 7.X.

I understand the need/desire to hold onto old systems, but at some point it's just not sustainable, not to mention finding anyone with a similar system on which to try things out on your behalf will also become increasingly difficult.

-=Tobias

Tobias,

That is certainly in the works, but I have a VM running that none of the consultants we work with currently are willing to migrate to a new host. This leaves me counting down the days until the VM is considered unnecessary by management.

13 minutes ago, Alan Lantz said:

Maybe instead of link aggregation just go back to a good ole active/passive bond ? No reason to 

throw new technologies at an existing critical system that is unsupported.

--Alan--

Alan,

Does this require LACP at the switch or just two untagged layer 1 links?

Archived