Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Basic questions on Installing and Configuring LVDA on RHEL 7.5

John Salvo

Question

We are trying out Linux VDA to be launched from our storefront, but I am not a Citrix engineer or anything like that.  I am doing the necessary changes / steps on the RHEL7 guests VMs ( on VMware ) to test it all out, while our Citrix engineers are performing all the necessary changes / steps on the Citrix side.

I have been following the steps here:

https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/linux-virtual-delivery-agent/current-release/installation-overview/redhat.html#step-4-install-the-linux-vda

If you scroll up that page a little bit, prior to installing the LVDA, it says:

To prepare the machine for the NVIDIA GRID drivers, run the following commands:

yum install gcc

yum install "kernel-devel-$(uname -r)"

systemctl set-default multi-user.target

Basically, the last line above changes the default from "graphical.target" to "multi-user.target" ... or the equivalent of changing from "init 5" to "init 3".

So probably this is my confusion of the basic understanding of how it will all work, because nowhere in the document does it says to re-enable the "graphical.target" / go back to "init 5".  If I am reading correctly, the RHEL VM should STAY at "multi-user.target" / "init 3" and NEVER go back to "graphical.target" / "init 5" ??? Am I correct ? So this basically means Citrix LVDA takes care of "launching" X, etc ???

On a second point, if you go back again to the link:

https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/linux-virtual-delivery-agent/current-release/installation-overview/redhat.html#step-4-install-the-linux-vda

Again if you scroll up that page a little bit, just after the output of "nvidia-smi", it says:

Set the correct configuration for the card:

etc/X11/ctx-nvidia.sh

To take advantage of large resolutions and multi-monitor capabilities, you need a valid NVIDIA license. To apply for the license, follow the product documentation from “GRID Licensing Guide.pdf - DU-07757-001 September 2015.”

Problem is, at THAT point when you have only installed the nVidia grid drivers ( provided to me by our Citrix engineers as the nVidia grid drivers are only accessible by them ), and the Linux VDA has NOT yet been installed, there is no such file named /etc/X11/ctx-nvidia.sh. It only exists AFTER Linux VDA has been installed, so the installation was misleading and caused me confusion as I thought I missed a step in the instructions.

1 answer to this question

12 hours ago, John Salvo said:

We are trying out Linux VDA to be launched from our storefront, but I am not a Citrix engineer or anything like that.  I am doing the necessary changes / steps on the RHEL7 guests VMs ( on VMware ) to test it all out, while our Citrix engineers are performing all the necessary changes / steps on the Citrix side.

I have been following the steps here:

If you scroll up that page a little bit, prior to installing the LVDA, it says:

Basically, the last line above changes the default from "graphical.target" to "multi-user.target" ... or the equivalent of changing from "init 5" to "init 3".

So probably this is my confusion of the basic understanding of how it will all work, because nowhere in the document does it says to re-enable the "graphical.target" / go back to "init 5".  If I am reading correctly, the RHEL VM should STAY at "multi-user.target" / "init 3" and NEVER go back to "graphical.target" / "init 5" ??? Am I correct ? So this basically means Citrix LVDA takes care of "launching" X, etc ???

On a second point, if you go back again to the link:

Again if you scroll up that page a little bit, just after the output of "nvidia-smi", it says:

Problem is, at THAT point when you have only installed the nVidia grid drivers ( provided to me by our Citrix engineers as the nVidia grid drivers are only accessible by them ), and the Linux VDA has NOT yet been installed, there is no such file named /etc/X11/ctx-nvidia.sh. It only exists AFTER Linux VDA has been installed, so the installation was misleading and caused me confusion as I thought I missed a step in the instructions.

Never mind ... I have answered my own question:

Answer: YES

Archived