Welcome to our new Citrix community!

What is the best practice when upgrading ELM device

Rob Jaudon1709158946

Question

All,

I am in the process of upgrading our ELM device from 4.13.0.26 to 19.2.0 and I'm trying to document the process.

On a high level are these the correct steps to take for each upgrade of the ELM device?

I am following the steps listed on Carl's page - > https://www.carlstalhood.com/app-layering-enterprise-layer-manager/#upgradeelm

Steps to complete

1. Upgrade ELM from 4.13.0.26 to 19.2.0
  2. Upgrade OS layer
  3. Upgrade Provisioning Service Agent

What is the best time to do this?  Is there any risk of doing this during the day?

5 answers to this question

Bascially.

Upgrading the OS layer just means updating the scripts you never run the setup64.exe again. 

We say to upgrade the pvs agent first but it doesn't really matter just do it before you use it.

We update filter drivers whenever you republish your images.  So that means you haven't really  upgraded until you publish new images.

Here is the official documentation

https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-app-layering/4/upgrade.html

1 hour ago, Rob Zylowski1709158051 said:

Bascially.

Upgrading the OS layer just means updating the scripts you never run the setup64.exe again. 

We say to upgrade the pvs agent first but it doesn't really matter just do it before you use it.

We update filter drivers whenever you republish your images.  So that means you haven't really  upgraded until you publish new images.

Here is the official documentation

https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-app-layering/4/upgrade.html

Rob,

Thank you for the update.  

Just to clarify, once the ELM device has been upgraded to  19.2.0 I will then need to go into go into each image template and publish to get the new ELM goods???

What is the best time to do this?  Is there any risk of doing this during the day?

There is no risk. Remember that we just make the image that you use to build end-user VMs with.  All we're doing is providing you with another image.  You still need to assign the new vDisk to your device collection before anything else would happen.  So publishing has no danger at all (as long as you don't run out of disk space anywhere important).  And the dangers for updating your target machines is the same as you would have without App Layering.

6 hours ago, Gunther Anderson said:

There is no risk. Remember that we just make the image that you use to build end-user VMs with.  All we're doing is providing you with another image.  You still need to assign the new vDisk to your device collection before anything else would happen.  So publishing has no danger at all (as long as you don't run out of disk space anywhere important).  And the dangers for updating your target machines is the same as you would have without App Layering.

Thank you, sir.  I appreciate your help and update.

Rob

Archived