Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Temporary Internet Files "Current Location" blanked out

Ken Momrik

Question

My set up is VDA 1811, UPM 1811 and Server 2019.

It SEEMS like I find myself in a situation where the Temporary Internet Files "Current Location" is blanked out and the allowed space is set to 0.  Due to this... we are having issues with Outlook picture downloading , proxy credential passing, et. al.

I can see that this is or was a known issue in Windows 10 1809 at one point... but I can't find a solution.   People complain about having it happen... but no one seems to ever actually fix it.

11 answers to this question

2 hours ago, BART JACOBS1709152229 said:

Check this:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

Look to make sure that the key labeled Cache is set to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache

Confirmed that this value is as listed above... all seems well.

We opened a Case with Citrix, Case Number 79243840 - Citrix Virtual Apps. Their is a Child ticket with "DevAnalysis" = 79247331. We are waiting on a Response.

We tested with VDA 1906 and then VDA 1909, both suffer from this issue on windows Server 2019.

Windows Server 2016 is not affected.

To Workaround the issue, Disable Profile Streaming in Citrix Profile Management. On Next Logon the Temp Internet File Path is set and it no longer Reports 0 as the size.

We Tested this with a Server that only had 5 Policy settings total, one of which was the Remote Desktop License Server. We could Reproduce the issue just by Enabling/Disabling Profile Streaming.

On 10/9/2019 at 7:42 PM, Ken Claussen said:

We opened a Case with Citrix, Case Number 79243840 - Citrix Virtual Apps. Their is a Child ticket with "DevAnalysis" = 79247331. We are waiting on a Response.

We tested with VDA 1906 and then VDA 1909, both suffer from this issue on windows Server 2019.

Windows Server 2016 is not affected.

To Workaround the issue, Disable Profile Streaming in Citrix Profile Management. On Next Logon the Temp Internet File Path is set and it no longer Reports 0 as the size.

We Tested this with a Server that only had 5 Policy settings total, one of which was the Remote Desktop License Server. We could Reproduce the issue just by Enabling/Disabling Profile Streaming.

Did you find a proper fix for this? Disabling profile streaming is causing other issues during login so it's not really a proper solution in my case.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Andrew Sammut said:

Did you find a proper fix for this? Disabling profile streaming is causing other issues during login so it's not really a proper solution in my case.

Thanks!

You need to add this, undocumented line, into the "Profile Streaming Exclusion List - Directories" under Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Citrix Components\Profile Management\Streamed user profiles:

AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache

Also be sure to add the other 5 Documented entries found here, to avoid other potential issues:

https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/profile-management/current-release/configure/stream-profiles.html

If this setting is not configured here, the following folders in the .ini file are excluded by default:

AppData\Local\Microsoft\Credentials

Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\Credentials

Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\Crypto

Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\Protect

Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\SystemCertificates

So your entry should look like my attached screenshot.

Now that we are forced to make these entries, it will be important to check for new additions to the INI file or the link above in newer versions and maintain those in the Group Policy. As of this writing, they have not updated the link above to include the entry that fixes this bug.

This bug only affects Server 2019, not 2016.

ProfileStreamingFix.PNG

ev.thumb.png.9deb8596bcddaa932d9d0400eb4f8df5.png

47 minutes ago, Ken Claussen said:

You need to add this, undocumented line, into the "Profile Streaming Exclusion List - Directories" under Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Citrix Components\Profile Management\Streamed user profiles:

AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache

Also be sure to add the other 5 Documented entries found here, to avoid other potential issues:

https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/profile-management/current-release/configure/stream-profiles.html

If this setting is not configured here, the following folders in the .ini file are excluded by default:

AppData\Local\Microsoft\Credentials

Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\Credentials

Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\Crypto

Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\Protect

Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\SystemCertificates

So your entry should look like my attached screenshot.

Now that we are forced to make these entries, it will be important to check for new additions to the INI file or the link above in newer versions and maintain those in the Group Policy. As of this writing, they have not updated the link above to include the entry that fixes this bug.

This bug only affects Server 2019, not 2016.

ProfileStreamingFix.PNG

Thanks for this!

I just followed your suggestions, and while the issue with the temporary files being blanked out gets sorted, I am still facing issues with certain internal sites that simply do not work when Profile Streaming is on. Some pages just stay blank, others give the attached or similar warnings about browser local storage being disabled. 

The only way to get these to work while profile streaming is on, is to launch them in InPrivate mode.

As soon as I switch profile streaming off, all affected websites work well!

I went through all the file and folder exclusions and can't seem to pinpoint what might be causing this - i'm kind of lost at the moment!

ev.png

20 minutes ago, Andrew Sammut said:

ev.thumb.png.9deb8596bcddaa932d9d0400eb4f8df5.png

Thanks for this!

I just followed your suggestions, and while the issue with the temporary files being blanked out gets sorted, I am still facing issues with certain internal sites that simply do not work when Profile Streaming is on. Some pages just stay blank, others give the attached or similar warnings about browser local storage being disabled. 

The only way to get these to work while profile streaming is on, is to launch them in InPrivate mode.

As soon as I switch profile streaming off, all affected websites work well!

I went through all the file and folder exclusions and can't seem to pinpoint what might be causing this - i'm kind of lost at the moment!

ev.png

We never saw that specific error message. The main problem we saw manifested was Images in Outlook not being displayed from the web. Our settings looked like this, with the blank profile field when it was broken, and populated once we disabled Profile streaming. I would confirm you are seeing the path displayed as shown in one of these screen shots. We mostly use Chrome for web browsing, even internal sites. Good luck.

SessionID-31-NotWorking-ProfileStreaming-Enabled-430PM.PNG

SessionID-35-Working-ProfileStreaming-Disabled-423PM.PNG

8 minutes ago, Ken Claussen said:

We never saw that specific error message. The main problem we saw manifested was Images in Outlook not being displayed from the web. Our settings looked like this, with the blank profile field when it was broken, and populated once we disabled Profile streaming. I would confirm you are seeing the path displayed as shown in one of these screen shots. We mostly use Chrome for web browsing, even internal sites. Good luck.

SessionID-31-NotWorking-ProfileStreaming-Enabled-430PM.PNG

SessionID-35-Working-ProfileStreaming-Disabled-423PM.PNG

Yes, the path is in fact now being displayed. 

Thanks again for the info!

On 2/4/2020 at 4:29 PM, Andrew Sammut said:

Yes, the path is in fact now being displayed. 

Thanks again for the info!

Just as an update should anyone face this same problem - to solve it I had to add "AppData\Local\Microsoft\Internet Explorer" to the same list "Profile Streaming Exclusion List - Directories"