Welcome to our new Citrix community!

MCS Machine Catalog Update - Reboots all free machines

Simon Dewhurst

Question

Hello,

I am wondering what options I have in terms of providing a more granular roll out schedule for updating MCS machines in a delivery group, for example.

I have 1 Machine Catalog that has 1 Delivery Group, If I select "Update Machines" > Select the Delivery Group > Select Snapshot > Select "On Next Shutdown (not right now) > Next > Finish

This will update the Disk image on all the VM's in the delivery group, but the problem is that it then goes and reboots all free vms which means while they are rebooting I have no available VM's in the pool for new users until they boot up and re register, wondering what ways people have come up with to only reboot a subset of free machines at 1 time to maintain availability?

I also do not want to force users to log out to apply the update on a schedule, I would rather it happen for those VM's on next shutdown / boot. (a bit like how PVS operates)

Note: Running 7.15 CU1 on Nutanix AHV.

Cheers.

6 answers to this question

23 minutes ago, Manoj Rana said:

Hi 

I am not sure if I understand very well but if user the option "Select "On Next Shutdown (not right now)" it will not going to reboot straight away you can reboot according to convenient.

Thanks

Manoj

Hello,

even if I select that option all the free powered on Vms reboot - I have no control over this happening it appears. So this is not expected behaviour then?

29 minutes ago, Simon Dewhurst said:

Hello,

even if I select that option all the free powered on Vms reboot - I have no control over this happening it appears. So this is not expected behaviour then?

no it will not going to reboot any of your VM.

You have to reboot them Manually whenever you want.

image.thumb.png.07c27a827e09e76790e1fed9168a2501.png

Thanks 

Manoj

5 minutes ago, Manoj Rana said:

no it will not going to reboot any of your VM.

You have to reboot them Manually whenever you want.

image.thumb.png.07c27a827e09e76790e1fed9168a2501.png

Thanks 

Manoj

Thanks - I must have a bug in our setup as when I select that option it does in fact auto reboot all the free VMs. I’ll log a support ticket with Citrix. 

Cheers

Actually, this is expected behaviour when the machines in question are Desktop OS.    With Server OS child machines, they will not reboot until you manually instruct them to do so.

In my experience, it only updates about 10 at a time (NB I have not carefully monitored this).   It is likely configurable via PowerShell how many at a time it does.   But I have some catalogs with well over a hundred machines in them, when it comes to updating master images for patching etc in quiet times with not many users logged in, I notice it does a handful at a time.   If there are fewer than (about) 10 machines without users, it does indeed do them all at once, and you will temporarily have a situation of zero free machines for new logins.