Welcome to our new Citrix community!

New VM won't boot and install.

Albert Lake

Question

Hi,

I'm new to virtualization and Citrix Hypervisor (,but have done some reading and have been watching master classes).

After setting up a new VM, the VM tries to boot but is can't. I've tried Windows and Linux ISO's from the built in templates, but non of the will boot and have a similar message as the file attached.

I am just learning at the moment so I've setup up Citrix Hypervisor (XenServer 7.6 with all updates) on a laptop with 8GB RAM and a Intel i5-6300U CPU @ 2.4GHZ.

What am I doing wrong here? Thanks for any help!

Capture.PNG

6 answers to this question

Yes, absolutely. The templates are just to tweak XenServer settings so when you install different operating systems they

behave properly. You will still need an ISO of your operating system of choice to store in your ISO SR Repository.  Thats

what you will mount and answer all of the operating system install questions. After your operating system is installed 

you will mount the XenTools Guest tools iso  to install the management agent which optimized networking.

--Alan--

Are you installing those VM's with ISO's stored on an ISO library or are they imported ?

Looks to me like the boot device is set to cdrom in the properties of the VM. Make 

sure your hard disk is set to be the boot device and that it is at the top of the list, 

definitely for diagnostic purposes. It could also be that your dvd just needs ejected

so it can boot from the hard drive.

--Alan--

23 minutes ago, Alan Lantz said:

Are you installing those VM's with ISO's stored on an ISO library or are they imported ?

Looks to me like the boot device is set to cdrom in the properties of the VM. Make 

sure your hard disk is set to be the boot device and that it is at the top of the list, 

definitely for diagnostic purposes. It could also be that your dvd just needs ejected

so it can boot from the hard drive.

--Alan--

Hi Alan,

According to the first image, the VM checks the dvd drive first and then the  hard drive. I also changed the order, but with the same result, just different order of error message.

I used the built in template to install win2k16 and I guessed that it uses the guest-tools.iso. But this might be where it goes wrong. I've not imported any ISO's myself or set up a shared drive with ISO's.

Untitled.png

Archived