Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Performance differences between Workspace App for Chrome vs Workspace App for Mac/Windows/Linux

Nick Fuchs1709160433

Question

Can anyone here comment on the exact differences between the Workspace App for Chrome vs Workspace App for Mac/Windows/Linux clients? It seems that there is a performance difference from using a Citrix environment on a Chrome device vs a full Linux or Windows device. 

My presumption is that it's due the lack of availability of more of the protocol's features, like UDP & HDX Adaptive transport support.

Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks,

Nick

3 answers to this question

I wish I had actual numbers for you, but I have noticed this as well. A sessions usability is quite different on Chrome OS. For example, moving an explorer window to another monitor is smooth on a Windows client, choppy on Chrome OS. Video is smooth on Windows, choppy on Chrome OS.

The Chrome OS version of the app unfortunately does not seem to get the same attention from developers that other platforms get.

27 minutes ago, Matt Ware said:

I wish I had actual numbers for you, but I have noticed this as well. A sessions usability is quite different on Chrome OS. For example, moving an explorer window to another monitor is smooth on a Windows client, choppy on Chrome OS. Video is smooth on Windows, choppy on Chrome OS.

The Chrome OS version of the app unfortunately does not seem to get the same attention from developers that other platforms get. 

So, I work in a role that's focuses on Chrome OS/virtualization adoption. My general understanding from speaking with Citrix Workspace product teams and support (multiple times) is that, Chrome OS hasn't crossed into that early mass adopter category in enterprise yet, so they are waiting for more business to push feature parity forward. The problem with this thought process is the whole 'chicken or the egg' metaphor. I see organizations who would benefit greatly (both functionally and financially) from using Chrome OS in their enterprise, but either pass or stall on adoption due to lack of either features or performance-related qualms; thus limiting further penetration of Chrome OS. I have conversations about 3-4 times a week with clients using a combination with Citrix and have done so much analysis in my own lab. 

In regards to quantifying the performance differences, I agree it's hard to put numbers on it. However, the one thing I've noticed in regards to your mention of multi-monitor performance is that, when you introduce a second monitor on chrome os device, it falls down to 'Adaptive Display' and loses H264 Codec support, which I believe contributes heavily to the performance-related behavior on dual-displays.

46 minutes ago, Nick Fuchs1709160433 said:

So, I work in a role that's focuses on Chrome OS/virtualization adoption. My general understanding from speaking with Citrix Workspace product teams and support (multiple times) is that, Chrome OS hasn't crossed into that early mass adopter category in enterprise yet, so they are waiting for more business to push feature parity forward. The problem with this thought process is the whole 'chicken or the egg' metaphor. I see organizations who would benefit greatly (both functionally and financially) from using Chrome OS in their enterprise, but either pass or stall on adoption due to lack of either features or performance-related qualms; thus limiting further penetration of Chrome OS. I have conversations about 3-4 times a week with clients using a combination with Citrix and have done so much analysis in my own lab. 

In regards to quantifying the performance differences, I agree it's hard to put numbers on it. However, the one thing I've noticed in regards to your mention of multi-monitor performance is that, when you introduce a second monitor on chrome os device, it falls down to 'Adaptive Display' and loses H264 Codec support, which I believe contributes heavily to the performance-related behavior on dual-displays.

That is interesting and does very much make sense based on a few of my support experiences. The flexibility and pricepoint of Chrome OS devices was a primary factor in our choice to  consider a solution like Citrix and these performance issues have made it a bit hard to get buy-in from my users. 

Thanks for the tip on multi-monitors. I tested and I am able to duplicate as well. I'll probably reply to you on your other thread to keep things on topic. :)

Archived