Welcome to our new Citrix community!

How to spin up more VMs after the VMs have been updated

John Francis1709160537

Question

Initially I created VMs using Streamed VM Setup  Wizard. I created around 50 virtual desktops.
Now, when I updated the virtual desktops, I used one of the VM within this 50 VM and put it in maintenace mode and updated the VM and then put it in Production and rebooted the VM and other VMs so they got the updated.

My question is 

1. Let us say I want another 100 VM spun up and has to have the same updates as these 50 VMs. Can I use one of the 50 VM and convert it to a template and the use that to create another 100 VMs through Streamed VM Setup Wizard? 

2. What is the difference between Target Device Template and the template that will be used using the Streamed VM setup? 

If this is a dumb question, please excuse me, but I would like to know./

Thanks in advance!

2 answers to this question

You don't already have a template that was used when you first setup the 50 machines?

Target Device Template in PVS is just about having some basic settings applied for all target devices based on the PVS Device template

The Template used when streaming is the template for the VM spec stored on the Hypervisor itself

On 2/28/2019 at 7:19 PM, James Kindon said:

You don't already have a template that was used when you first setup the 50 machines?

Target Device Template in PVS is just about having some basic settings applied for all target devices based on the PVS Device template

The Template used when streaming is the template for the VM spec stored on the Hypervisor itself

Sorry I do have. And I know it gets updated from the vdisk as soon as it spun up. :) Duh... I was thinking something else.

Archived