Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Windows 10 time off by 6 hours on any new machine

David Ray

Question

I have a frustrating and, apparently, uncommon problem with my App Layering machines. I only experience this with App Layering machines. Any new machine using an App Layering generated layer has it's time off by 6 hours. This is true on the packaging machines and on the final PVS booted Xendesktop machines (only newly created ones). This is annoying on the packaging machines but it breaks the Xendesktop machines. The VDA will not register with the DDC when the time is off that much. I have to manually logon via the hypervisor console for each new machine and get the time set... usually with NET TIME /SET /YES. After this they will work fine even after reboots. They seem to remember the time from then on.

The time is 6 hours ahead. Our time zone (which is set correctly in the OS) is US/Central time... -6 UTC. Interesting that it is 6 hours off... but it seems to be in the wrong direction for a timezone problem.

I have been trying for a long time to figure this out. I checked the hypervisor hosts (VMWare 6.0). The hosts have the correct time. I have tried having the VMs set to sync time with the host and not to sync time. It makes no difference.

I found that Windows Time Service was set to Manual in the OS layer. Maybe this is normal? But I set it to Automatic. No help. I applied various Google-found suggestions relating to the Time Service: w32tm /unregister; w32tm /register; w32tm <parameters to configure peer lists> ; w32tm /resync (abbreviated list of commands just to give you an idea). Doing this in the OS layer or Platform layer will get the time set currently but it does not help with future machines.

This has not always been a problem but can't figure out when/what changed. I didn't pay enough attention at first.

My OS is Windows 10. Initially it was 1803. Now it is 1809 (same OS layer). The problem occurred on both. I am on App Layering 4 1902. Also had the problem on 1901 at least and maybe on 1812.

Can't find that anyone else is having this problem. Hope that means it is something simple I am overlooking.

Thanks for reading.

/David

2 answers to this question

This really is the classic scenario for https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX230562.  Basically, a brand new VM has never established what timezone t's in from a hardware perspective, so VMware puts the virtual motherboard clock in its own absolute time (usually GMT).  The Windows image knows what time it's in, but the Windows image is a VMDK.  The VM itself does not know until it's been booted once and had its time set properly.  Then VMware gets the hint.

So change your connector template to be something derived from a machine that has booted properly in Windows and had its time set correctly.

Thanks.  That article was what I needed.  Don't know how I failed to find it when searching.  Setting the "RealTimeIsUniversal" value as described fixed my problem for sure.  I experimented some with the Template as it offers but the results were more ambiguous.  I expect that solution works too and I may test it some more.  In any case, I expect anyone else who has this problem with find a solution in that article.

Thanks,

David

Archived