Welcome to our new Citrix community!

NetScaler Gateway: Virtual Server: Overview: Difference between "total connected users" and "current users"

Mark Nickolai 2

Hi,

I like to understand the difference between "total connected users" and "current users" in the netscaler gateway vserver overview.

I noticed that there are different amounts, so I assume that the total connected users are for a specific period of time, and current users are the real in this moment connected users.

But for which amount of time do the total connected users count?

e.g.:

sh vpn vserver -summary
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Name                   State      IP Addr           Port  Protocol   Curr Users      Total Connected Users TCPProfile  HTTPProfile 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1     vpn1.domain.com         UP        999.999.999.999  443   SSL        146             148             
2     vpn2.domain.com        UP         999.999.999.999   443   SSL        0               0               
3     vpn3.domain.com        UP         999.999.999.999   443   SSL        5               5                           

40 minutes ago, Mark Nickolai 2 said:

Hi,

I like to understand the difference between "total connected users" and "current users" in the netscaler gateway vserver overview.

I noticed that there are different amounts, so I assume that the total connected users are for a specific period of time, and current users are the real in this moment connected users.

But for which amount of time do the total connected users count?

e.g.:

sh vpn vserver -summary
      Name                   State      IP Addr           Port  Protocol   Curr Users      Total Connected Users TCPProfile  HTTPProfile 
1     vpn1.domain.com         UP        999.999.999.999  443   SSL        146             148             
2     vpn2.domain.com        UP         999.999.999.999   443   SSL        0               0               
3     vpn3.domain.com        UP         999.999.999.999   443   SSL        5               5                           

Hi Mark,

Here are the details:

Curr Users => The number of current users logged on to this virtual server.

Total Connected Users => The total number of current users connected through this virtual server.

Arnaud

I could be wrong, but I think its the difference between idle vpn connection vs active vpn connection.

A user can be logged on to the vpn, the client is still engaged, but no apps/data are using the tunnel (in full vpn mode) or active ICA connections in ica proxy mode.

These would still show up in total connected users; but not necessarily be in the current users aka active sessions count.  The Gateway still tracks this as a vpn connection as the tunnel is still established and the client can resume activity before it times out. 

The session policy or global vpn parameters have a session idle timeout (and client idle timeout) that can cause an idle vpn session to be logged off if not in use.

Session idle timeout (if 20 minutes), would cause the vpn session to close (aka logout) if no application uses the vpn tunnel for 20 minutes.

Client idle timeout (example 15 minutes), would rely on if activity is still happpening on the endpoint via local apps even if the vpn tunnel is not in use, keep the vpn tunnel open.  If the user is not using the ednpoint at all, then the client idle timeout could result in the vpn closing.

If you are in ica proxy mode, then the client idle timeout isn't a factor; but the idle session timeout might.

• 7 months later...

Old post, but this might help someone else.. 

From the blog, https://rakhesh.com/citrix/find-users-connected-to-a-netscaler-gateway/

Click on “NetScaler Gateway” in left pane. On the right you will find “Active user sessions” and “ICA Connections”. The former shows users who have authenticated against the gateway, and the latter is those who have an ICA connection open through the gateway. The lists could be different as a user might have timed out on the gateway but still have an ICA connection open. 

Hope this helps.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

hello all... Does this Support document help?

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX217728 

Summary: 

GUI - Active Users

Navigate to NetScaler Gateway > Monitoring Connections > Active User Session. This shows the list of active user sessions on the NetScaler Gateway.

GUI - ICA Users

Navigate to NetScaler Gateway > Monitoring Connections > ICA Connection. This shows a list of users who have an ICA connection open through NetScaler Gateway.