Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Printer redirect not working anymore on MacOS after change to use Windows Server 2016 as VDA

J Lo

Question

Found this article -> https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX140208

My situation may be not exactly the same. As my Citrix policy set to use installed printer driver first, if missing then use UPD. Also, not the same HP printer model.

The "Problem Caused" mentioned in the article said the missing of PostScript type driver is the reason. As I cannot find any PS type driver for my HP printer. So I download and install the universal PS type driver from HP official site. But still not working.

I want to know is Citrix going to fix this issue or not. Otherwise, I have to inform my colleague stop to use MacOS and Linux as workstation.

Moreover, the article said only affect those who use UPD. My case indicate that this problem does exist no matter use UPD or not. Hope Citrix can amend that article.

10 answers to this question

On 1/22/2020 at 9:08 AM, Jason Skilton said:

I have this issue also, the HP Color LaserJet 2800 Series PS (Microsoft) driver does not seem to exist in server 2019.

I have a ticket open with citrix support but not getting much traction with that.

Guys, I was having the same problem with my Server 2019 VDAs, but found the solution.  Follow the article listed here (https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX140208), download the 6.1.7600.16385 version of the LaserJet 2800 series driver and use a third party zip utility (7-zip, winrar, etc) to extract it.  That's the key, using a third party tool.  If you use Microsoft's baked in utility this will not work.  Once I used 7-zip and extracted, I was able to successfully install the driver and now my Mac clients successfully auto create their client printers.  Hope this helps.

• Like 2

Hello Carl,

The steps you provide made me feel confused. My printer is HP LaserJet P1102. The Windows Server 2016 didn't setup a print queue for it. I only import the driver.

The example show in your guide choose to add the driver in XPS Document Writer and the driver is for HP Color LaserJet 2800 Series PS (Microsoft). Is this an universal solution that works on all HP printer model?

On 1/8/2020 at 1:57 PM, Tor Audun Fiskvatn said:

I have a similar issue, it seams that this workaround is not working on Win Server 2019, any ideas?

I have this issue also, the HP Color LaserJet 2800 Series PS (Microsoft) driver does not seem to exist in server 2019.

I have a ticket open with citrix support but not getting much traction with that.

On 1/24/2020 at 5:03 PM, Ralph Doyle said:

Guys, I was having the same problem with my Server 2019 VDAs, but found the solution.  Follow the article listed here (https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX140208), download the 6.1.7600.16385 version of the LaserJet 2800 series driver and use a third party zip utility (7-zip, winrar, etc) to extract it.  That's the key, using a third party tool.  If you use Microsoft's baked in utility this will not work.  Once I used 7-zip and extracted, I was able to successfully install the driver and now my Mac clients successfully auto create their client printers.  Hope this helps.

Hey rdoyle570,

thanks for that!!!!! I´ve struggled arround trying to install this driver with only Windows Explorer extracting. What a shame on them!! 7zip helped ;-)

On 1/24/2020 at 5:03 PM, Ralph Doyle said:

Just to inform this did not work for me as described. This exact printer driver will not show up for me on Server 2019 even when searching for updates. 

Download the driver from this side:

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=HP LaserJet 2800

Regards, Cedric

On 1/24/2020 at 4:03 PM, Ralph Doyle said:

Thanks Ralph. 

I had the same issue on a VDI (windows 10 64bit) and its resolved following this.

Download driver HP LaserJet 2800 series PS, extract using 7 zip, go to printer drivers, have a disk > chose the extracted driver and install. 

On 1/5/2023 at 9:09 AM, Manohar Rai1709162842 said:

Thanks Ralph. 

I had the same issue on a VDI (windows 10 64bit) and its resolved following this.

Download driver HP LaserJet 2800 series PS, extract using 7 zip, go to printer drivers, have a disk > chose the extracted driver and install. 

I know this is an old post, and I have read multiple times over the past... The issue with the built in Windows Extract option, is that it dumps everything in a single directory.  It does not extract the handful of files and create a folder for everything else called AMD64.  This is why you get the "File Not Found" error, even after you see the printer model to select.  When you use 7Zip or the like, it extracts it in its proper folder structure.

Also, for those who can't find the .16385 version on the microsoft update catalog page, it is all the way at the end, usually on the second page.  There are two, one for 64 bit and one for 32 bit.  The one that downloads the cab file named:  driver_2d635282969f28e313ce95f6b462229202289f1d.cab is the x64 version.

Hope this helps someone down the road.