Linux PVS Imager stuck at 98%

morgan Vielle

Question

Hello,

CentOS 7.3 64bits
VDA 7.15 LTSR

Citrix Studio 7.15 LTSR

PVS Server 7.15 LTSR

I try to create a Linux CentOS vDisk with PVS Imager.

No problem to connect to my PVS server.

I didn't encountered problem during the process until 98%

Then the program get stuck, notify me with a messagebox that the creation failed and give me an error in the terminal as you can see on the attached screenshot.

I had to cancel the installation decided to have a look at the pvs-imager log file, which tell me at the end of the file that the installation is finished without error and then cannot create a regular file...

INFO:pvs_tools.Volumes:Installation finished. No error reported.
INFO:pvs_tools.Volumes:cp: cannot create regular file ‘/tmp/Volumes.py-lL7W9J/boot/grub/i386-pc/’: Not a directory

I succeed to create several VM from this vDisk with PVS but impossible to register these machines.

pvs_error.PNG

7 answers to this question

I've made a ticket to Citrix Support.
And finally found two problems on my config.

• First :
    • I tried to use PVS with SSSD authentification but it doesn't work.
    • Then, I've found this : Linux streaming only supports winbind as the tool for joining a Windows domain.
    • Source
    • [EDITED] Finally, Citrix Documentation say that only Winbind is supported but I succeed by using SSSD and not with Winbind (another problem)
  • Second :
    • The pvs-imager provided by "ProvisioningServices715_9.iso" is "pvs_RED_HAT_7.18.1_6272_x86_64.rpm"
    • I was surprised about that. A different version is provided for the last 7.15 LTSR minor release.
    • The "pvs_RED_HAT_7.15.0_18089_x86_64.rpm" is provided by "ProvisioningServices715_3.iso". So you have to find an older release of 7.15 LTSR.

After having fixed these two problems, pvs-imager worked well and finished without error.

[EDITED] Finally, you just need to use "pvs_RED_HAT_7.15.0_18089_x86_64.rpm" to resolve the problem. Whatever the method to join the AD.

Edited by mvielle
Clarify the source of the problem
  • Like 1

Sorry but I think you made a mistake. I'm currently working on XenDesktop 7.15 LTSR and MCS is not supported while PVS is completely supported for CentOS/RHEL.

Source

Because MCS is not supported for Linux VDAs, choose PVS or the Another service or technology (existing images) deployment method.

A follow up for me to get it to work...

After I kicked off the PVS imaging to capture, I went to the volume it creates and manually created the folder it was trying to copy pvsboot.mod .

mkdir /tmp/Volumes.py-RandomChars/boot/grub/i386-pc/ -p

On 3/9/2019 at 10:46 PM, Rob Hugg said:

A follow up for me to get it to work...

After I kicked off the PVS imaging to capture, I went to the volume it creates and manually created the folder it was trying to copy pvsboot.mod .

mkdir /tmp/Volumes.py-RandomChars/boot/grub/i386-pc/ -p

Thanks for the tip, it helped me.

CentOS 7.6 1810

VDA 1903

PVS 1909

running on XenServer 8