Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Question

Good Evening,

I am having problem with my VDI environment and getting the UWP Apps to run correctly in my environment. I was wondering if anyone had any success and what settings they used to get it to work.

My environment:

Windows 10 1709 February patches

Citrix App Layering 1901

Citrix VDA 7.15 CU3

Citrix UPM 7.15 CU3

Citrix PVS 7.15.CU3

When I publish an image with OS Layer and Platform Layer and our current setup everything shows up right with an new profile and a domain account. Subsequent log ins I get different results. It starts with Calculator disappearing then sticky notes then eventually Microsoft Store is corrupt itself. I have tried so many different configurations I can not see or think straight. I am sure I left some information out so please let me know if you need anything else about my setup.

If possible I was wondering if there were any known issues with the versions of the citrix products I am using and all UPM/GPO configurations used to get this to work correctly.

Thank you for any help in advance

3 answers to this question

This issue has been complex and mind numbing. Long story short, with caching turned on the packaging machine becomes corrupt and breaks the windows store. This continues even after cache is cleared and turned back on. It got complicated when using corrupted layers and caching was off. I did not realize this for awhile and many tests. After disabling cache and recreating corrupted layers, I am back on track. A ticket is still open for a permanent fix with caching on. Thanks

Hello Vikas,

Thanks for responding. After a bunch of self testing and minimum tech help I have the assumption this is going to be a Citrix App Layering ELM issue. Sorry I can not upload any logs. I am not sure what information they contain or what security risk it may pose. I tried to keep names out but here is a summary of my correspondences:

I am having problems with my environment and keeping my Microsoft store UWP Apps to work. Primarly Calculator, StickyNotes, Microsoft Store, and Photos. I log in with a clean profile and everything shows up. subsequent log ins the Apps are broken and need some type of repair. Our Environment: Citrix App Layering 1901 VDA 7.15 cu3 User Profile Manager 7.15 cu3 PVS 7.15 cu3 Windows 10 1709 Can you send me the list of what should be synchronized/mirrored and excluded from UPM? Let me know of any known issues with the ELM or anything in our environment? I have see a lot of conflicting information on the web but I want to hear best practices from you.

Citrix Questions/comments

My Answers

What is UWP Store Apps
Sorry I do not have time to explain what store apps are. Please call back tomorrow

Citrix gave UPM settings for Store apps
By this point I found out it was deeper than UPM. I found out I was having problem when I had UPM turned off
I also found specific layers (adobe reader and Office) was causing this when I publish an image.
I could publish OS/Platform and Store apps work.
I published OS/Platform/Adobe Reader Store apps would not work
I published January OS Layer/Platform/Adobe Reader and store apps would not work
For testing purposes I ran the Add-appxpackage commands and with resetting store under Apps and Features with no luck

Received more documents on UPM- I found https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/profile-management/current-release/integrate/xendesktop.html#microsoft-storeuwp-apps Also I chatted with the assigned support person . He was out yesterday. He will be following up today

JW stepped in and backed me up stating this is an app layering issue opposed to UPM

Can you please test the below and let me know the outcome of the same.
1. Create a new Layer of Adobe with complete updates and publish without Office; then test the UWP behavior.
2. Once tested and if the result is positive
3. Create a new Office Layer with complete updates and publish including Adobe Layer, then test the behavior

Note: Please do not create version of Adobe or Microsoft Office layers, we need to test with New layers instead of Versions.

New OS Version

Added a version to the OS Layer and test UWP

image.thumb.png.d47e7e83d2f66c38384e7f00b0d21b20.png

image.thumb.png.fb4733283f306990ff7eeae8bbeb690e.png

image.thumb.png.293db8c665f3fc4c2514cc9b812a5a17.png

Open store to make sure everything is installed

image.thumb.png.66d21d2da515b030c7a3a701b1856512.png

Finalized the OS Layer

New Adobe Reader Layer

Used newly created layer to create a new Adobe Reader layer

image.thumb.png.3f6c0de1273db78cd5af8ca8e2305ddc.png

Installed Adobe reader

image.thumb.png.ee54d79cfc796543e8b93144c23bb15c.png

Finalized the Layer

image.thumb.png.610a0246f62e7782634e10521023b6e1.png

Created New OS/Platform/Adobe Image

Created a new image with OS/Platform/Adobe and published to PVS- No Elastic Layers

image.thumb.png.94de4b51bf17168a38fe28ebe927da1d.png

Microsoft Store does not work and is faded out

image.thumb.png.24c370ad23d1c940c46372df9416a135.png

Created New OS/Adobe Image

Created a new image with OS/Adobe Reader and published to vSphere-No Elastic Layers

image.thumb.png.b4979bbfa7b6b878c83961b52abd0d15.png

Publishing OS/Adobe in vSphere the Windows store does not work and is faded out

image.thumb.png.a60551de641dab2c2cf3f84a4bdbc1f2.png

In previous tests that failed I tried

adding a new version to the October OS version

Running the Add-AppX command on the OS, App Layers and full image for windows store

Running the Remove-Appx then Add Appx for windows store

Upgrading the ELM to 1902

Clearing vSphere cache before updating layers

Running chkdisk on OS, App Layers and Full image

Citrix responded-
have received your email with the screenshots, appreciate your support on testing. Please us the below link to upload the logs files for further investigation.

I had to follow up to see if they got my screen shots

Citrix responded-
I still dont see the logs uploaded to the Sharefile link shared with you. Let me wait for some more time and let you know.
Just wanted to understand, did this ever work?
If you create a new app layer, does "it" work?
Can you focus on "creating new layer from January updates". and
Test it A new layer is the simplest test: there are no conflicts with other layers, no domain GPOs, and it's basically a clone of the OS layer, but with AppLayering drivers should be running.

Just wanted to understand, did this ever work?
Yes, this has worked in the past. I have been able to open different UWP apps from any layer newly created or adding of a version
If you create a new app layer, does "it" work?
When I create a new layer or add a version Microsoft store does NOT work. It is grayed/faded out and does not open when clicked. I have tried running:

·          Sfc /scannow

·          ngen update

·         Get-AppxPackage –allusers *windowsstore*| foreach {Add-AppxPackage –register "$($_.InstallLocation)\appxmanifest.xml" -DisableDevelopmentMode}

·          Apps and Features\Microsoft Store\Advanced Options\ Reset

Can you focus on "creating new layer from January updates". and Test it
I used a November Patches OS layer that was lasted edited in December- Same results

image.png.e607801fc43e00bb0b4b079335db5f23.png
I used an August Patched OS layer that was last edited in August -Same results

image.png.ffc59c752fdab179339a16112491b7f3.png
For each of the layers I also tried to enable windows updates and update Microsoft Store and could not get it to reinstall, repair or do anything functional.
A new layer is the simplest test: there are no conflicts with other layers, no domain GPOs, and it's basically a clone of the OS layer, but with AppLayering drivers should be running.
These tests were all performed on new layers created with existing OS layer back to August

Thank you for the update on the tests suggested. I have received the ELM logs uploaded by you. However the ELM logs will not have any information about the issue you are finding on the published templates.

1. Just wanted to understand, did this ever work?
Yes, this has worked in the past.
I have been able to open different UWP apps from any layer newly created or adding of a version
On the above question and answer; what has been changed that broke the UWP usage?
2. If you create a new app layer, does "it" work?
When I create a new layer or add a version Microsoft store does NOT work. It is grayed/faded out and does not open when clicked.
For question 2 you are referring after the UWP usage broken right? Finally; Can you test disabling the UPM service on the layered Image and check if that works?

JW replied:

As Chris stated previously.. Just the base OS Layer + Platform layer without updated App layers works fine. Its only when he applies a recently updated App layer that the UWP breaks. UPM is working fine with our OS Layer + Platform layer + app layers that have not been updated. Chris creates this image and tests it without UPM... UPM is not the cause of this issue.. This issue is only occurring for updated/new layers with the latest Citrix app layering appliance.

what has been changed that broke the UWP
From Below: I used an August Patched OS layer that was last edited in August -Same results [cid:image001.png@01D4CE9B.2DDFEE50] From that perspective the only change was the ELM from 7.13 to 1901. Before it is asked I have already tried an upgrade to 1902 and same results
Finally; Can you test disabling the UPM service on the layered Image and check if that works?
The last round of tests you had me run did not even publish an image. The issues happen before publishing and is showing up when creating a new App layer AND adding versions to existing layers. At this point it is all local. There is NO GPO and NO UPM and still having problems before I can even finalize the layer. But to answer the question one of my original tests was testing the image with UPM disabled and I was still having the problem. That is what led me to start removing layers from my image to discover newly created layers is what has been throwing off the image.

Archived