Welcome to our new Citrix community!

High memory usage on Windows 10 1709 VDI With VDA Citrix 7.15 CU3 / DMW.exe causing black screens

Nick Vercampt

Question

Hi

The memory consumption in our environment is very high :

RAM: 6GB

VDA: Xendesktop 7.15 CU3

PVS streamed image

Non-persistent desktops

Without any application running we already consume about half our resources

We also see strange behaviour of the DWM.exe process. I think the process should normally use arround 50MB, but in our environment it can use up to 300 - 500MB of RAM and for some users it crashes which causes a black screen (session is still active, but user can't do anything).

Performance options are already adjusted for best performance.

We have disabled graphics card acceleration in Office applications and Internet Explorer.

We have applied the Citrix optimization script.

But still the RAM seems to have a hard time.

Has anyone experienced these high memory issues or the dmw.exe issue before?

8 answers to this question

We are having this issue as well with the exact same setup 1709 win10 pvs 7.15 cu3 ltsr. etc. we have done a lot of troubleshooting on this and within our environment we have found that its down to pagefile exhaustion. If you keep the pagefile at the default system managed setting it doesn't appear to be able to go above 4GB's. when that tops out the DWM crashes and users cannot reconnect to their ICA session because their session drops back to RDP and the ICA channel doesn't reinitialise correctly until you reboot the machine. 

We also see a larger than usual DWM resource footprint, mine is currently at around 260MB's.

We are also using Ivanti within the enviroment and do appear to be seeing some nonpaged pool memory leaks, one from the application control component of Ivanti and the other appears to be a microsoft file filter driver. 

At the moment most of our desktops reboot at the weekend so we have just increased the page file for now to 8GB's to lengthen the time time between crashes. Obviously not a fix but makes things a bit easier, until we find out if the issue is also within W10 1809 as well. 

• Like 1

Add me to the list. Here's our environment:

RAM: 5GB

VDA: XenDesktop 7.15 LTSR CU2

PVS streamed image

Non-persistent desktops

WEM 1808

15GB Write Cache disk

2GB pagefile set to the Write Cache drive

One user in particular has been experiencing crashes at random times, with only a few apps open. When his desktop crashes, the entire screen just goes black and eventually closes. When this first happened, he was able to reconnect to that existing session and continue for a bit. The event log will show the following error: The Desktop Window Manager process has exited. (Process exit code: 0xc00001ad, Restart count: 1, Primary display device ID: Microsoft Basic Display Adapter)

I was able to reproduce this by launching apps until both the pagefile and RAM actually filled up, but it crashed hard enough to shut down the device. In my case, I have Memory Management enabled in WEM, which actually uses the pagefile. I've disabled it for this group of VMs to see if it helps alleviate the issue, but I'm curious to know if there are others out there, and if they wound up resolving the issue.

On 2/7/2019 at 10:34 AM, Dale Scriven1709156200 said:

At the moment most of our desktops reboot at the weekend so we have just increased the page file for now to 8GB's to lengthen the time time between crashes. Obviously not a fix but makes things a bit easier, until we find out if the issue is also within W10 1809 as well. 

So you were having issues with the pagefile set to 4GB? Ouch. I'm holding off on changing the pagefile to 4GB for the time being, since I want to let this WEM change go through.

Any updates on this? Does disabling WEM mem management help?

I have been trying to migrate users from 2008 to 2016 desktop but this issue is delaying the process. With my current setup I can use the VDI for about 5-7 days and then the dwm process crashes with a black screen. With pagefile set to system managed the pagefile usually gets to 2.5GB and then starts to cause issues.  My Windows 2008 desktops are created with the exact same VDA, WEM agent, PVS agent and they can run for 30 days+.

PVS streamed image

Non-persistent desktops

WEM 4.5

20GB Write Cache disk

System Managed pagefile set to the Write Cache drive

On 12-2-2019 at 6:11 PM, Nick Panaccio said:

Add me to the list. Here's our environment:

PVS streamed image

Non-persistent desktops

WEM 1808

15GB Write Cache disk

2GB pagefile set to the Write Cache drive

One user in particular has been experiencing crashes at random times, with only a few apps open. When his desktop crashes, the entire screen just goes black and eventually closes. When this first happened, he was able to reconnect to that existing session and continue for a bit. The event log will show the following error: The Desktop Window Manager process has exited. (Process exit code: 0xc00001ad, Restart count: 1, Primary display device ID: Microsoft Basic Display Adapter)

I was able to reproduce this by launching apps until both the pagefile and RAM actually filled up, but it crashed hard enough to shut down the device. In my case, I have Memory Management enabled in WEM, which actually uses the pagefile. I've disabled it for this group of VMs to see if it helps alleviate the issue, but I'm curious to know if there are others out there, and if they wound up resolving the issue.

So you were having issues with the pagefile set to 4GB? Ouch. I'm holding off on changing the pagefile to 4GB for the time being, since I want to let this WEM change go through.

Hi Guys

Were you able to solve this issue?

kr
Nick Vercampt

On 7/19/2019 at 6:09 PM, Dale Scriven1709156200 said:

We managed to "fix" ours by removing the Ivanti application control component from our image as that was causing issues between it and the FSLogix agent filling the page file. Looking at the previous replies it probably suggests similar leaky memory as well causing the majority of the issues. 

Are youable to expand on this answer?

Did you know in the end what specifically iVanti was doing to FSLogix. We are using the exact same setup and have had an issues for 6 or so months. The MCSIO fix in march solved the majority of memory problems but we are still getting a number of cases each month. Ballooning Non-Paged pool and eventually requiring a reboot as it doesnt get paged out to file and cant clear.