Updated Privacy Statement

WEM 1811 Application Icon File Path Bug (?)

Julian Jakob

Question

Hey guys,

If you try to add some Icons to your WEM 1811 Applications, it would not work. A friend of mine tested it at another server OS and confirmed my discovery:

WEM 1811 Application:

grafik.thumb.png.af4fb6737e7d24b80831ce4f400c2a76.png

As you can see, per design I have to "Select Icon" browse to the C$ share of my VDA where the application is installed and if I select the .exe, WEM should change the UNC Path to C:\...

-> As you can see, there is still a UNC Path and so the Icon File in the prod Desktop would be white.

WEM 4.6 Application: (I think in 1808 it should also be OK)

grafik.thumb.png.94d16af41e21d58a68cffad8c0b50a1e.png

As you can see, I browsed to the UNC Path of my VDA where the application is installed and after I selected the .exe to the App, WEM is changing the Icon File Path correctly to C:\...

-> Icon File in the prod Desktop is created correctly.

If anybode has an idea how I can bypass this - I would say - bug, you're welcome to share.

Sure I know I could save all icon files to my WEM Infrastructure Server - local - and so I am able to browse to a local Path C:\... and so the icon file settings is written to the WEM Database, but I don't want to go through this workaround.

Thanks in advance and best regards

Julian

10 answers to this question

On 21.3.2019 at 11:57 AM, Marco Hofmann said:

I went from 4.7 -> 1808 -> 1811 without ever noticing this error. This is because is use the console differently.

You don't have to install the console locally, the WEM Administration console works happily by launching it from an administrative UNC path, for example if oyu have the Console installed on your Delivery Controller:

"\\delivery-controller-01\c$\Program Files (x86)\Norskale\Norskale Administration Console\Norskale Administration Console.exe"

This way you circumvent, that you have to search for the apps, that are installed on your VDA, as you can access them directly from the console itself. Makes my life sou much easier.

Thanks Marco, will give that „use console via UNC Path from the VDA directly“ a try. 

• Like 1

On 3/21/2019 at 5:57 AM, Marco Hofmann said:

I went from 4.7 -> 1808 -> 1811 without ever noticing this error. This is because is use the console differently.

You don't have to install the console locally, the WEM Administration console works happily by launching it from an administrative UNC path, for example if oyu have the Console installed on your Delivery Controller:

"\\delivery-controller-01\c$\Program Files (x86)\Norskale\Norskale Administration Console\Norskale Administration Console.exe"

This way you circumvent, that you have to search for the apps, that are installed on your VDA, as you can access them directly from the console itself. Makes my life sou much easier.

This helped me. Just copied the console to the UNC share and do the configs from the machine that has software installed.

• Like 1

Thanks James, same behavior here. 

„Downgraded“ (Export, fresh install, Import) to 1808, too. UNC Path at the Icon file Path, too. BUT Icon file is created, correctly. 

I think main problem within 1811 is the Path, how the Agent is creating the Icon file at the Desktop:

\\%COMPUTERNAME%\c$\example\test.exe

Would gladly know from which Version this problem is getting started. In my other environment (WEM 4.6) it’s converted correctly to the local path of the exe. 

Thanks for your input, will work with installation of console at the worker, too. Simple copy paste of the local paths. 

Regards

Julian

On 27.1.2019 at 0:55 AM, James Kindon said:

Install the console locally on a machine with access to the .exe / icon path, and you should be OK - I'd log with Citrix