Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Win 10 1709 - UPM Chrome Bookmarks not updating

Jim LoBocchiaro1709158605

Question

It was brought to my attention after a recently 1709 upgrade while Chrome bookmarks still exist, any changes are not being saved by UPM

I have these in files to sync which was previously fine. I also tried adding to Folders to mirror per the possible need in @Carl Stalhood

website but that did not resolve the issue either.

AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\First Run

AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Local State

AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Bookmarks

AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Favicons

AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\History

AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Preferences

Then I turned to Chromes built in profiling with Chromes ADM files for group policy - which actually seems to work well except for the fact that it ALWAYS shows the welcome to Chrome tab at every boot. 

Any suggestions?

Windows 10 - 1709

VDA 7.15. update 3

17 answers to this question

Hi,

Glad I found this post as I have been climbing the walls over this particular "feature". We are running Windows 10 - 1809 on XenDesktop 1811, WEM 1811 + UPM enabled. In my case, I can see that the Bookmarks and Preferences files sync back if they are not present on the roaming profile server, however any subsequent updates from the VDI back to the roaming profile server for either of those files results in the deltas simply disappearing into the ether. The timestamps on both files do not change beyond the first sync back.

Internet Explorer does not exhibit this behavior.

Will have a tinker and see if I can get it to at least sync back and then work back from that. If I don't have any success, I guess I will have to raise a ticket with Citrix.

This is exactly what I have been playing with - I couldn't figure out how to get rid of the first run screen at every boot - Ill check this out!

Citrix Dev just told my to sync app data\local also, which I also find unacceptable. 

Hi All,

So whilst I haven't been able to get this working with the Chrome Data sitting under %localappdata% with UPM - I have been able to adopt another method that is currently supported within Chrome and appears to actually work.

Credit to Dennis Span (https://dennisspan.com/google-chrome-on-citrix-deep-dive/#GoogleRoamingProfile) for the workaround.

Essentially I have had to set Roaming Support within Group Policy and ensure that Disable Sync was set to not configured (both of these I have configured under Computer, but I believe that user policies also exist).

Then I updated our Chrome Shortcut to include the following arguments

--enable-local-sync-backend --no-first-run "www.google.com"

Use of all three elements essentially bypasses a sync notification that I observed at first launch, but you can change the home page to whatever you want. I think the deal breaker for me is a number of articles say to sync to the entire User Data folder which can bloat the profile at a fairly rapid clip. This method stores the data in one flat file and my initial tests suggest that a bookmark roughly increases the file by around 6kb and can store settings such as bookmarks, auto-fill data, passwords, per-computer browsing history, browser preferences and installed extensions which for our user base is exactly what they are after.

Hopefully this helps someone.

Thanks

Jason

Hi All,

So whilst I haven't been able to get this working with the Chrome Data sitting under %localappdata% with UPM - I have been able to adopt another method that is currently supported within Chrome and appears to actually work.

Credit to Dennis Span (https://dennisspan.com/google-chrome-on-citrix-deep-dive/#GoogleRoamingProfile) for the workaround.

Essentially I have had to set Roaming Support within Group Policy and ensure that Disable Sync was set to not configured (both of these I have configured under Computer, but I believe that user policies also exist).

Then I updated our Chrome Shortcut to include the following arguments

--enable-local-sync-backend --no-first-run "www.google.com"

Use of all three elements essentially bypasses a sync notification that I observed at first launch, but you can change the home page to whatever you want. I think the deal breaker for me is a number of articles say to sync to the entire User Data folder which can bloat the profile at a fairly rapid clip. This method stores the data in one flat file and my initial tests suggest that a bookmark roughly increases the file by around 6kb and can store settings such as bookmarks, auto-fill data, passwords, per-computer browsing history, browser preferences and installed extensions which for our user base is exactly what they are after.

Hopefully this helps someone.

Thanks

Jason

On 2/25/2019 at 4:24 PM, Jim LoBocchiaro1709158605 said:

Did you get any where with this? Still "working" with Citrix.

They told me to sync AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default - the whole dir. Which does work but inflates the provide quite a bit

I was adding exclusions but it seems that only some folders will actually exclude..

The guy I am working with had recreated all the behavior so far...

No I didnt. I am still struggeling with it. I have tried alot of surgestions but non have worked so far :-( Have you had any luck at all?

On 1/25/2019 at 10:05 AM, Christian Carlsen1709152759 said:

Cool, I will do that right away

Did you get any where with this? Still "working" with Citrix.

They told me to sync AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default - the whole dir. Which does work but inflates the provide quite a bit

I was adding exclusions but it seems that only some folders will actually exclude..

The guy I am working with had recreated all the behavior so far...

I haven't tried these explicitly on 10, but from my experience on 2012\2016 this set of exclusions\inclusions has worked pretty well for keeping the profiles trim while roaming critical pieces of data. Files to synchronize list appears to be larger on my end than yours. Try giving these a go.

Directories to Exclude:

!ctx_localappdata!\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cache

!ctx_localappdata!\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cached Theme Images

!ctx_localappdata!\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\JumpListIcons

!ctx_localappdata!\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\JumpListIconsOld

AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Storage

AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Service Worker

AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\GPUCache

AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\JumpListIconsRecentClosed

AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Thumbnails

Directories to Synchronize:

AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default