Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Microsoft Teams - No WebCam Redirection with 7.15 CU3

Cathy Leik

Question

On Win10 persistent VDI from both Windows and ThinOS clients we have WebCams redirecting and available in Skype for Business Client but it will not show up in the Teams app which will be replacing Skype.     If I upgrade the VDA to 1808 then the Webcam shows up in both.   Trying to figure out if this is a known issue with Teams and if it will be resolved on 7.15 so we can stay on the LTSR.

24 answers to this question

On 2/19/2019 at 7:31 AM, Cathy Leik said:

Hi Sandro - we ended up opening a ticket with Citrix.  We found that it is a Citrix bug.  The workaround right now is to use Teams 32 bit client.   The fix will be in a future release but not sure of a date on that.  We are OK with using the 32 bit client, however the next hurdle is that we audio/video conferencing from a Wyse client is unusable.  It is fine with Skype since we are using the HDX Media RTME on the Wyse.   Teams is not supported yet in that and I've opened another ticket to try and get a date for that release.

It is not a bug - we do not support 64-bit apps with Webcam redirection in 7.15 (nor on any CU). You need 7.17 or higher, and Receiver for Windows 4.11 or higher.

As for Teams optimization, it is coming very soon and a Tech Preview program is scheduled for April. Citrix Workspace app for Windows is targeted first.

If you need support for Linux or Mac terminals, I suggest you contact your Citrix Account Manager to raise the priority.

• Like 2

Hi Sandro - we ended up opening a ticket with Citrix.  We found that it is a Citrix bug.  The workaround right now is to use Teams 32 bit client.   The fix will be in a future release but not sure of a date on that.  We are OK with using the 32 bit client, however the next hurdle is that we audio/video conferencing from a Wyse client is unusable.  It is fine with Skype since we are using the HDX Media RTME on the Wyse.   Teams is not supported yet in that and I've opened another ticket to try and get a date for that release.

• Like 1

hi,

thank you for the update. you mean you use the 32bit installer? How do you handle already "installed" teams client in users profile? Currently we have over 2000 users who already have MS teams in their user profile so I guess we would need to cleanup the profiles with MS teams and then use the 32bit installer to install into the user profile?

We are also using thinclients (igel) and are aswell waiting for the optimization. we have tested with default citrix optimizations (audio, video) and tested from a fat-client (connected through fat-client) and so far it's somehow usable, but not ideal. I have to test how it perform through our thinclients. What I know is that around mid of the year some optimization should be available, but we will see if this is true. 

anyway bad from citrix that they do not have a solution, because this is a killer if webcam is not working.

Yes we are using the 32 bit installer.   We are just starting the testing of teams so we do not have it rolled out widely yet.    

If you have Citrix support it would probably help our cause to open a ticket with them regarding these issues with Teams so that they know there are other people out there with the same need and hopefully keep it high on the priority list to resolve.    I'm going to open a ticket with Dell regarding our thin clients as well because they will need to offer the Citrix optimization as well.

We have tested the 32bit installer and it's working for us aswell. We are switching from 64bit to 32bit installer. We will cleanup all MS Teams folder in %LocalAppData% and %AppData% and then after re-logon users will get the 32bit client into profile. We have another issue with MS Teams (preview pane is black when you try to open any document in preview mode), currently with 32bit client we cannot reproduce it. Hopefully it will keep working with 32bit client. Maybe the issues are all related to 64bit and the issue with citrix.

I'll check if we can open a ticket, problem is that we then need some test image, test users .... and this for a longer time range because they need to gather some logs and so on.. this is always really time intensive :(

1 minute ago, Fernando Klurfan1709153904 said:

Did you install workspace app in the VDA by any chance too?

Can you follow section 8 , https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX132764, and report back?

I confirm that there is no workspace app installed on the virtual desktop

I've come across that document and have tried the steps in the doc with no success.

8.1 result: Integrated camera is not showing within Device Manager/System devices, it's also not showing under Device Manager/Camera, I tried to manually install the camera driver on the virtual desktop and it still didn't help

8.2 result: camera only works for Skype for Business after I've installed the HDX component on surface pro and virtual desktop, but camera for Teams is still not working

8.3 confirmed "Windows media Redirection" and "Multimedia Conferencing" are Enabled in Studio

8.4. do no see the webcam registry, not sure if it's because it's integrated camera hence it doesn't show

8.5. Added Teams.exe with HookProcess DWORD and restarted but camera still doesn't work on Teams 32bit app

Thanks

32 minutes ago, Nicole Hsieh said:

I confirm that there is no workspace app installed on the virtual desktop

I've come across that document and have tried the steps in the doc with no success.

8.1 result: Integrated camera is not showing within Device Manager/System devices, it's also not showing under Device Manager/Camera, I tried to manually install the camera driver on the virtual desktop and it still didn't help

8.2 result: camera only works for Skype for Business after I've installed the HDX component on surface pro and virtual desktop, but camera for Teams is still not working

8.3 confirmed "Windows media Redirection" and "Multimedia Conferencing" are Enabled in Studio

8.4. do no see the webcam registry, not sure if it's because it's integrated camera hence it doesn't show

8.5. Added Teams.exe with HookProcess DWORD and restarted but camera still doesn't work on Teams 32bit app

Thanks

What do you mean your cameras are not visible in Device Manager?

That is very strange.

all i can think of is to try Section 7.1

If you run the camera app in your endpoint, what resolutions are listed?

Then use the regkeys to force 720p

2 minutes ago, Fernando Klurfan1709153904 said:

What do you mean your cameras are not visible in Device Manager?

That is very strange.

all i can think of is to try Section 7.1

If you run the camera app in your endpoint, what resolutions are listed?

Then use the regkeys to force 720p

Locally on my Surace Pro Windows 10 machine, within Device Manager it shows Cameras > Intel(R) AVStream Camera 2500

Also within Device Manager under System devices it shows > Microsoft Camera Front  and MIcrosoft Camera Rear

However, on my virtual desktop, none of these 3 records exist within Device Manager

So i manually installed the camera driver on my virtual desktop and that created the first record of Device Manager/Cameras > Intel(R) AVStream Camera 2500

yes, i've also tried 7.1 to change the default height/width

i've tried 640x480, 320x240 and still doesn't work

Resolution listed in my endpoint camera app are: 1080p, 720p, 480p, 360p

When connecting to the same virtual desktop using an HP laptop also with integrated camera, the camera works fine for Teams

Seems to be a weird issue with the Surface Pro integrated camera

1 minute ago, Nicole Hsieh said:

Locally on my Surace Pro Windows 10 machine, within Device Manager it shows Cameras > Intel(R) AVStream Camera 2500

Also within Device Manager under System devices it shows > Microsoft Camera Front  and MIcrosoft Camera Rear

However, on my virtual desktop, none of these 3 records exist within Device Manager

So i manually installed the camera driver on my virtual desktop and that created the first record of Device Manager/Cameras > Intel(R) AVStream Camera 2500

yes, i've also tried 7.1 to change the default height/width

i've tried 640x480, 320x240 and still doesn't work

Resolution listed in my endpoint camera app are: 1080p, 720p, 480p, 360p

When connecting to the same virtual desktop using an HP laptop also with integrated camera, the camera works fine for Teams

Seems to be a weird issue with the Surface Pro integrated camera

you dont need the drivers on the VDA

ok at least you found the cameras in Device Manager in your client. 

In the VDA you must find the regkeys as shown in section 8.4  ...   If that is not happening we need CDF Traces on client and server

4 minutes ago, Fernando Klurfan1709153904 said:

you dont need the drivers on the VDA

ok at least you found the cameras in Device Manager in your client. 

In the VDA you must find the regkeys as shown in section 8.4  ...   If that is not happening we need CDF Traces on client and server

I only installed the drivers on the VDA as a test as I was running out of things to try 

I checked the registry in section 8.4 again and under 

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Citrix\HdxRealTime 

it does have a registry called "Filter Name" with the following value: 

Citrix HDX Webcam - Microsoft Camera Rear@device:pnp:##?#display#int3470#4&3b1d693f&0&uid13424

Just now, Nicole Hsieh said:

I only installed the drivers on the VDA as a test as I was running out of things to try 

I checked the registry in section 8.4 again and under 

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Citrix\HdxRealTime 

it does have a registry called "Filter Name" with the following value: 

Citrix HDX Webcam - Microsoft Camera Rear@device:pnp:##?#display#int3470#4&3b1d693f&0&uid13424

it doesn't have any sub-keys under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Citrix\HdxRealTime like the screenshot does though

4 hours ago, Arend Teraa1709160045 said:

Did you get a resolution for this?  I have a Surface Pro user reporting that their camera doesn't work with Teams and my environment is pretty much identical to yours.

I didn't get a resolution via Citrix but we did manage to get it working by:

1. uninstalling old Citrix receiver from surface pro and installing Citrix workspace app

2. created a new platform layer and upgraded VDA to 1912 LTSR from 7.15 CU3

3. we had created a new OS layer to address other issues as well but don't know if this is necessary

good luck

5 hours ago, Arend Teraa1709160045 said:

Did you get a resolution for this?  I have a Surface Pro user reporting that their camera doesn't work with Teams and my environment is pretty much identical to yours.

VDA is Windows Server or Windows 10?

As a last resort, you can exclude Teams.exe from all hooking. But you might loose some functionalities (e.g. switch between multiple cameras in teams – only the default camera is availabl)

Follow https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX107825

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\citrix\CtxHook] "ExcludedImageNames"="Teams.exe"

1 hour ago, Nicole Hsieh said:

I didn't get a resolution via Citrix but we did manage to get it working by:

1. uninstalling old Citrix receiver from surface pro and installing Citrix workspace app

2. created a new platform layer and upgraded VDA to 1912 LTSR from 7.15 CU3

3. we had created a new OS layer to address other issues as well but don't know if this is necessary

good luck

Thanks, I'll do some testing around those options.