Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Citrix App Layering w/ Windows 10 and PVS running on XenServer

Forrest Bridges

Question

Every time I try to use Windows 10 with App Layering and PVS running on XenServer I get a bluescreen w/ error CVHDMP.sys.    I currently have a working environment with Windows 7 without any issues.  I have tried both Windows 1709 and 1803 builds.  I'm using the latest App Layer version (18.12.0.15), PVS 7.18 and XenServer 7.1 CU1.  I have IPv6 disabled via the registry as recommended.  The Windows 10 image works perfectly when I published the Image from the ELM to the Hypervisor.

5 answers to this question

Normally that error is due to one of two things.  It could be a mismatch between the hardware used when you created your gold image and the PVS targets or It could be a ghost NIC.  Its always best to use a clone of your gold image as the template for your targets to make sure that the virtual hardware perfectly matches between your gold image used to create the OS layer and the PVS targets.  for Ghost NICs you would have to make sure there arent any layers that have ghost NICS.  So i would start by creating a new target based on a template created by a clone of the gold image.  If that doesnt work look at your layers for ghost NICs.

The process here will allow you to look for Ghost NICs.  I think its more of an issue

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX221733

Its also probably worthwhile to make sure the version of XenTools is appropriate for the version of Xen Server.

Rob

Hello,

First, with an elevated command prompt, i execute : 

>set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

>devmgmt.msc

Select View ->  Show hidden devices -> Remove Ghost Cards

Second, I configure Ethernet Card :

• uncheck QoS Packet Scheduler , Microsoft LLDP Protocol Driver , Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) , Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder , Link-Layer Topology Discovery Mapper I/O Driver
  • Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP
  • Disable Large Receive Offload (IPv4)
  • Disable Large Send Offload V2 (IPv4)

Third, I execute Citrix Optimization Script : https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX224676

Good luck!

Where exactly did you disable IPv6?  PVS doesn't really require you to disable IPv6, nor does App Layering, but if you want to disable IPv6, it must be done in the OS Layer.  If it's done in the platform layer, then you can have a problem when Windows goes to disable that in the published image.  It can disconnect the network temporarily, and that is fatal to PVS.

Are you sure you have done what PVS 7.18 requires?

https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/provisioning/7-18.html

Two things leap out to me:

• For Windows 10 version 1803, the functionality cache in device RAM is not supported; a target device craches when it fails to use reserved memory from bootstrap. To resolve this issue, Citrix recommends using Cache in device RAM with overflow on hard disk.
  • For Windows 10 1709, you must apply the OS update KB4093105, or later, before installing PVS components.

Otherwise, I agree with Rob, it sounds like a hardware mismatch.  I think the forum is the wrong place to try to dig into those kinds of details, but I'd want to know where the template VM for the connector came from, and what the relationship is between the PVS target machines and the connector template VM is.  Maybe just create a completely new VM, delete the disk, convert it to a template, and assign that to the connector.  Make a completely new Platform Layer.  Then use that template to deploy your PVS targets.  It doesn't really matter that the Platform Layer matches your original Gold VM, but it must match your target machines.

So I'm having this issue but with Server 2016 1607 and PVS 1903.  Any special considerations?  ELM and Components are 1903 also. 

It's been several days and a long Citrix support call trying a Registry change for the NIC ans creating a Template from the Platform layer and attaching the Writecache disk but none of this works. 

Might try the suggested changes to the NIC as mentioned above. 

Frustrating this takes alot of fiddling about but feel I should perceveir as it seems like it could help where I am at the moment.