Welcome to our new Citrix community!

XenServer 7.1 upgrade path

George G

Question

Hello,

We have a pool of xenservers running on version 7.1 (unlicensed) and want to upgrade to version 7.6.

Based on my research I found that we have to install the latest updates on 7.1 and then upgrade the hyper-visors in the pool to 7.6.

In order to do that I guess we should first buy licenses, setup a Citrix licensing server, install the license on the current 7.1 servers in order to install the latest updates on them and then upgrade the pool to version 7.6.

Is that plan going to work or are we missing anything? Are there any other guidelines for this?

Thank you

18 answers to this question

It seems that the free edition of XenServer I currently have cannot be licensed with the trial license I received from Citrix.

Any ideas? Are there different type of trial licenses that I can acquire? 

Is there a way to upgrade from free xenserver edition 7.1 to Standard 7.6?  Or do I need to setup each host/hypervisor from scratch?

Thank you 

No, I think the trial is just for Enterprise and no a trial for Enterprise won't work on a standard version I bet.

And that really bites then. So that means you need to run your version for the 30 days before you get you

licenses instead of the 90 days granted by the trial license.

--Alan--

Thank you for the replies.

Okay so we have a Pool with 3 hosts running on 7.1 free edition. 

We will start doing an in-place replacement of these hosts and install from scratch the 7.6 standard edition, on each of these hosts.(one by one)

Does 7.6 standard edition going to be able to join the current pool which includes 7.1 free edition xenservers in it?

Or shall we create a new  Pool and migrate the VMs from the previous pool  using the "Move VM" option from one pool to the other?

What is the ideal method for doing the VM migration in case we have to create a new pool?

Thank you 

George

Hi,

I have a similar scenario - one host running 7.1 free edition (only with some patches which were available to the free edition)

Would it not be possible to upgrade with the 7.4 / 7.6 Boot CD while booting from CD and installing the newer version?

Setting up a newer XEN Hypervisor and migrationg / copying the VMs to the new host, re-install on the old host the new XEN 8.0 and remigration the VMs back to the original hardware (with XS 8 installed) seems to me not very straight forward.

Is this the only way of doing an upgrade to XS8.0 Free Edition??

Thanks

Jürgen

When you run free you are committing to being on the latest release of XenServer. Falling behind on versions is not an option.

To get from 7.1 to 7.4/7.6 or 8.0 you need to install clean. If you have a pool you can kick a server out, install fresh and 

migrate VM's and roll the new version across hosts . But yes, for single hosts its quite the pain to export VM's/install XenServer

and import VM's. That is why keeping current on single hosts is vital.

--Alan--

Alan,

just to clarify: for keeping single hosts current, you still could do the updates step by step, like having 7.4 installed, apply latest 7.4 patches, then go to 7.6 with patches and the move to 8.0. So far, so good. I am not bothered by the downtime one will have with single host evironments. All these releases are CR...

But having installed 7.1 makes the difference, because 7.1 is LTSR. ?!

Is it known, why you cannot do the same approach, like going from 7.1 (no CUx Updates) to 7.2 or 7.3/7.4? Will the installer abort? Or will the (local) pool be affected, VMs lost?

I could still apply the license, just did not like the whole licensing stuff as we only wanted to be able to open a service request, if needed.

Also, are there differences in the iso media, like installing the free edition and later license it - I guess it will give you then all features according the license you applied ?!

Thanks

Jürgen

If 7.1 is LTSR and licensed they permit and upgrade, but not 7.1 free, that is correct.

Yes, you have do the step by step upgrades 7.4/7.6/8.0 if you have those install medias,

but that is the trick as Citrix removes old ones as new ones become available.

7.1 CU2 can be upgraded to 8.0 using the install ISO.

There are no differences in the media I am aware of.

--Alan--

Alan,

I have done some tests, I installed a fresh XEN 7.1 and applied the (free) patches up to XS71E012. (yes, there are even more free patches available)

I created a VM with local storage. Then I upgraded to XEN 8.0 with the boot media and - voila - the XENserver is now on v8, preserving the existing local storage.

That was all what I wanted to achieve .

The reason is, we have customers using the paid version just for support reasons, but they still use the free edition to install...

So, you could update 7.1 without CUx to 8.0. Is this against any EULA? Why does Citrix say its not supported?

Thanks

Jürgen