Welcome to our new Citrix community!

CVAD 1811 + Windows Server 2019 via PVS BSOD

Kasper Johansen1709159522

Question

Hi,

I have just recently updated a Hyper-V environment from 2016 to 2019, not an in-place upgrade. In the same process everything in the Citrix infrastructure (XDC, SF, PVS) was built from scratch on the lastest version, 1811.

I am currently experiencing BSOD during bootup on Windows Server 2019 targets only. The error message is SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (CVhdMp.sys) which usually is something around storage or networking, however I'm not seeing issues with Windows Server 2016 and Windows 10 v1809 targets. All targets are Gen2 (UEFI) targets in Hyper-V 2019 with SCVMM 1807.

All golden image machines are deployed via MDT, however I have tried to deploy a Windows Server 2019 directly from the ISO file and convert it to a vDisk (VHDX), it gives me the same error message. I have installed a golden image both with the latest Windows Updates and without any updates at all, it doesn't matter.

Before the upgrade of Hyper-V to 2019, I had Windows Server 2019 targets running just fine.

6 answers to this question

So a small update...

I have updated CVAD to 1903 and PVS to 1903, now the boot of a 2019 target no longer gives me a BSOD, however it looks like I may have a new issue. Currently I am not able to boot target devices on a vDisk in standard mode, only private mode. I only have Gen2 targets, so right now I am testing a Gen1 target, to see if I am able to boot.