Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Screen does not refresh when using Citrix Workspace on Windows 10 Pro

Stuart Young-Murray

Question

Running Windows 10 Pro on an MSI laptop with an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 graphics card and an Intel UHD Graphics 630 card/chipset.  All drivers are the latest available and I have all current Windows updates and the latest version of Citrix Workspace as downloaded and updated from the Citrix website - 18.10.0.20023.  I am using the laptop screen, not an external display.

I can log in to my virtual desktop but the screen does not refresh when I click something or open a new program on my virtual desktop.  If I close and then re-establish the session, I can see the effect the previous actions have taken as only then is the screen refreshed.

Any ideas as to how I can fix this?

** Update 18/12 **

I have been in contact with the manufacturer, MSI who, after telling me to update the BIOS and downgrade the nVidia video driver to the one on their website (as opposed to the one published by nVidia)  suggest it might now be a compatibility issue with Windows 10 Pro.  I very much doubt that Workspace and Windows 10 Pro don't play well together and I suspect that something with the laptop hardware and/or its config is to blame, which was the reason I went to MSI for support in the first place.

If anyone has had similar issues with the same or different hardware, what did you do to fix it?

Edited by scyoungmurray

12 answers to this question

On 06/12/2018 at 2:27 PM, Stuart Young-Murray said:

Running Windows 10 Pro on an MSI laptop with an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 graphics card and an Intel UHD Graphics 630 card/chipset.  All drivers are the latest available and I have all current Windows updates and the latest version of Citrix Workspace as downloaded and updated from the Citrix website - 18.10.0.20023.  I am using the laptop screen, not an external display.

I can log in to my virtual desktop but the screen does not refresh when I click something or open a new program on my virtual desktop.  If I close and then re-establish the session, I can see the effect the previous actions have taken as only then is the screen refreshed.

** Update 18/12 **

I have been in contact with the manufacturer, MSI who, after telling me to update the BIOS and downgrade the nVidia video driver to the one on their website (as opposed to the one published by nVidia)  suggest it might now be a compatibility issue with Windows 10 Pro.  I very much doubt that Workspace and Windows 10 Pro don't play well together and I suspect that something with the laptop hardware and/or its config is to blame, which was the reason I went to MSI for support in the first place.

If anyone has had similar issues with the same or different hardware, what did you do to fix it?

Please open a support case if not already so that the team can look into this further.

Thanks

Kishore

On 12/6/2018 at 9:27 AM, Stuart Young-Murray said:

** Update 18/12 **

Experienced the same issue on a Lenovo Desktop M720q with the integrated onboard  Intel Graphics 630 chipset.

Tried upgrading video drivers and still nothing worked.

The solution was to upgrade to Citrix Workspace App 18.12 to fix the problem.

Pete

Hi  Pete,

At the time I wrote this, I was using the latest available version of the workspace app - 18.10 by the looks of it.  Today I have downloaded and tried the latest version of the workspace app hoping that it would work but the same problem still persists I'm afraid.

Thanks for the advice though

Stuart

Hi,

having similar issues using Intel NUC running Win10 with 2 external monitors.  I'd like to contribute my symptoms:

The main monitor connected from the HDMI port to the DVI input is "frozen" after the session recovers from sleep about 98% of the time.  The secondary USB-C to VGA monitor has no issues.  The mouse pointer moves around on both monitors but none of the windows or taskbars on the primary are updated.  To alleviate the symptoms, all that is required is to reduce the Citrix window (home) and re-expand it from the NUC.  Once alleviated, I confirm that all intervening mouse clicks and keystrokes have been action-ed on the primary monitor's windows.  Swapping the primary monitor over to VGA appears to reduce the incidence of the issue to about 80% I guess.

We have 3 NUCs.  Another NUC has a much lower incidence of this issue.  I swapped the NUCs and my incidence remained constant and that of the other staffer remained constant.  This suggests that the issue is sensitive to something external to the NUC.  We both have Samsung monitors but the other staffer has a different (later?) model.

Chris.

I'm also seeing the exact same issue. I find that switching the session between window and fullscreen causes the screen to then refresh.

Win 10 Pro

MSI GS65

NVidea 1060 GTX

Receiver  : 4.12.0.18020

Its still a massive inconvenience though, if i happen to leave the laptop for any length of time it sometimes just stops refreshing. An easy way to tell is when the clock in the tray stops changing.

I am having exactly the same issue flagged currently.

I am running the latest version of Citrix Workspace App (21.02.0.25) and have the latest version of Windows 10 (I am running Home) and video card drivers (NVidea GeForce MX350).

I have to tap my windows but and re-tap the window so that the screen refreshes. Incredibly unhelpful.

If anyone found a fix that would be fantastic. Thanks in advance.

Hi all,

another user with the same problem. I made the following tests:

- HP EliteBook 850 with Intel UHD Graphics 620 - several driver versions up to 27.20.100.8854

- Windows 10 and Windows 11 upgrade

- Workspace app 1912 LTSR (several CU), 2109,2112

- The problem only shows while connecting throu Citrix Gateway (tested several firmware version). Using VPN and direct ICA connections (i.e. 2598 o 1494) everything wirks perfectly.

- Does happen only against certain Citrix farms/setup. Testing on the farm where I have the problem connecting with another client (like a MacOS device or simply another Windows client)

Any idea on heling tracking the issue down is much appreciated....

I have a similar issue. I connect remotely through Citrix using multiple monitors. When I use my older Lenovo Ideapad, both monitors work fine (even though they are different sizes as far as pixels although neither one is using scaling). However, when I try to do the same thing on a newer HP computer (as well as I had tried on a newer Lenovo computer), one of the monitors lags and does not refresh the screen (essentially the display freezes even though I am moving stuff around). Sometimes this can last 10 seconds or more. So, it seems that there is some kind an issue with certain graphics cards or settings, since it works fine on my older laptop using multiple monitors but not two newer laptops. Any advice on how to fix this? None of the monitors are using scaling. I just downloaded the most recent version of Citrix on my personal laptop.

Hello, this solution helped for me;

First of all, please update to the latest Citrix Workspace version.

After that, update to your newest GPU driver. 

Go to Device Manager > Display adapters and after that right click the intel driver, click Disable adapter.

After that the screen will turn black for a second and the systems switches to the other GPU. (I have the GTX 1650)

Open Citrix workspace, and the window will refresh again.

I have just experienced this in 2022.  Yesterday I upgraded from a Asus GeForce GTX 1070 to a MSI RTX 3080.  My drivers are up to date.  Today my Citrix sessions stop refreshing/painting.  I can hear that the session is active because sounds will continue, but the screen doesn't refresh.  The only way I can get it to resolve itself temporarily is to adjust the Citrix screen size by either resizing or minimizing/maximizing.  After doing so the problem will go away for a short period of time before returning.