Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Apps can't be started, probably due to unregistered VDAs

Dominik Steffan

Question

Hi,

users have reported errors when starting apps which can only be resolved if the active session is logged off in citrix studio. In eventvwr i can find the eventID 1101:

The Citrix Broker Service failed to broker a connection for user '<user>' to resource '<resource>'. The Citrix Broker Service cannot find any available virtual machines. 
Please add more virtual machines to the site. If the problem is due to existing virtual machines not becoming available, see Citrix Knowledge Base article CTX126992.

There are 6 VDAs in the farm all registered atm but when i check the citrix\XenDesktop\BrokerMonitor logs at the time of the failure i find:

EventTime 2018-12-04T07:28:01.533000000Z 
  MachineSid S-1-5-21-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXX
  DeregistrationReason 1000 
  MachineName <machine> 
  MachineDnsName <machine dns>
  MachineIpAddress X.X.X.X 
  BrokerHostName <hostname> 
  OSType Windows 2012 R2 
  AgentVersion 7.6.2000.7219 
  IsMultisessionCapable true 
  FunctionalLevel 3 
  FaultState 1

How can i investigate the deregistration further? And what's reason 1000?

2 Win2012 R2 DDCs 7.6.2000

6 Win2012 R2 VDAs 7.6.2000

Yes an update to CU6 is planned, but not until Q2 2019...

Thanks in advance!

6 answers to this question

Conclusion:

In our environment links to citrix applications must not be removed after sessions.

So when starting the first session in the day users tend to open multiple applicationsat once. This occaisonally creates multiple logon sessions and causes the session initialization to fail.

Educating the users not to show off their insane APMs when starting apps helped resolvin this issue.

Nonetheless Workplace App should offer any kind of protection against this behaviour as StoreWeb does.

• Like 1

On the VDAs i get EventID 1050 from Citrix Desktop Service with the message:

The details in the event log entry are " Connection validation failed on domain '' for user '' for reason 'Deny'. "

as reported in https://discussions.citrix.com/topic/372375-event-id-1050-citrix-desktop-service/  or https://discussions.citrix.com/topic/394012-event-1050-citrix-desktop-service/matching the time i get latter events on my DDC.

It seems like the VDA gets deregistered at the DDC but i can't find any logs on the VDA concerning the deregistration or a new registration.

Could it be that due to an error the Desktop Service remains in an errorneus registration state?

The errors described above usually won't show up in Citrix Studio in Machine Catalog > add Columns "Last registration failure (+time)", so the last registration failures shown there would be the daily reboots at ~3:00 am with the correct Reason of "Agent shutdown".

When the brokering of an app fails the follwing eventids get logged in chronological order:

VDA:

Applocation: Citrix Desktop Service - Event ID 1050 (as mentioned above)

DDC:

Citrix\XenDesktop\BrokerMonitor - Event ID 9 (just containing failing machine's SID

Citrix\XenDesktop\BrokerMonitor - Event ID 10 (containing above message)

Citrix\XenDesktop\BrokerMonitor - Event ID 32 (SID + NoSessionsPresent false)

Citrix\XenDesktop\BrokerMonitor - Event ID 11

Application: Citrix Broker Service - Event ID 1101

Another thing to mention:

Today i got a more normal version of the behaviour where the same events got logged as above. With the slight distinction that Event ID 10 (from BrokerMonitor) got logged twice, the second time with DeregistrationReason 300 instead of 1000. This seems to be a deregistration that has been handled correctly since i can see that deregistration in studio. 

DeregistrationReason 1000 - don't see in Studio

DeregistrationReason 300 - see in Studio, infamous Unknown Error

In the meantime I'll give the VDA Registration Technical Troubleshooting Guide a read.

Since my last post we updated all of the VDAs to 7.6.6000 and most of the issues regarding de-registrations vanished.

Unfortunately Errors on the DDCs (which are 7.6.2000) still exist:

Failed to connect to data source 'The broker service reported an error. See the event log for more information.' ('http://<ddc1>/Citrix/BrokerAdminService/v2').

Verify that the data source is available.

User: '<user>'
Console operation: 'Retrieving running processes details…'

Additional diagnostics information (error message):
'Failed to execute broker synchronous command=GetRunningProcesses'

or 

Additional diagnostics information (error message):
'The request channel timed out while waiting for a reply after 00:00:20. Increase the timeout value passed to the call to Request or increase the SendTimeout value on the Binding. The time allotted to this operation may have been a portion of a longer timeout.'

Since we also updated the DDCs to 7.6 CU6, users still report errors when starting apps.

The reports from users don't correlate with EventID 28 (no-available-workstation from Citrix Store Service) anymore, so I think that it's no longer (or has never been) an issue about VDAs being unregistered.

At the moment I see a lot of errors 1050 on the VDAs (Connection validation failed on domain " for user " for reason 'Deny'), about 10-20 per day.

Further investigations have shown that there may not be a direct correlation between error 1050 and faulty sessions. It's more likely that the following event has something to do with it:

EventID: 1480

Source: MetaFrameEvents

Failed to launch application <PublishedApp> with command line '"C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" ' on client '<clientname>' for domain/user '<userfullname>' in session '3'.   Ensure that the application is installed and that the user has permission to launch it.

This error seems to correlate with all sessions being unable to start apps.

Once this error occured in a session it is rendered unusable. No more apps can be started in such a session and consecutive tries to do so will trigger another event from DesktopWindowManager.
Here's the logs from the VDA of such a session:

04.04.2019 08:09        Citrix Profile Management        10        User <user> path to the user store is: \\UPMServer\UPM_Profile  Cause: A valid Citrix user profile has been found at the location indicated.  Action: None. This message is for information only.
04.04.2019 08:09        Citrix Profile Management        2000        The Citrix Profile management Group Policy Extension has started.   Cause: The Citrix Profile management Group Policy Extension has started to process policies for user '<userfullname>'.  Action: This message is informational and no action is required.
04.04.2019 08:09        Citrix Profile Management        2001        The Citrix Profile management Group Policy Extension has stopped.  Cause: The Citrix Profile management Group Policy Extension has completed processing policies for user '<userfullname>'.  Action: This message is informational and no action is required.
04.04.2019 08:09        Folder Redirection        501        Die Richtlinienanwendung und die Umleitung von Ordner "Documents" nach "\\SERVER\USER\Documents" war erfolgreich.  Umleitungsoptionen=0x1001.
04.04.2019 08:10        Citrix Desktop Service        1027        Der Citrix Desktopdienst hat erkannt, dass eine Benutzersitzung gestartet wurde. Benutzer '' hat Sitzung 'ca8f75bb-b56c-44c2-8ad2-98f583dc965b' gestartet.
04.04.2019 08:10        Citrix Desktop Service        1049        Die Sitzung 'ca8f75bb-b56c-44c2-8ad2-98f583dc965b' wurde getrennt.
04.04.2019 08:10        Desktop Window Manager        9009        Der Desktopfenster-Manager wurde mit dem Code (0xd00002fe) abgebrochen.
04.04.2019 08:10        MetaFrameEvents        1480        Failed to launch application Internet Explorer with command line '"C:\some\other\application.exe" ' on client '<client>' for domain/user '<userfullname>' in session '29'.   Ensure that the application is installed and that the user has permission to launch it.
04.04.2019 08:25        Desktop Window Manager        9009        Der Desktopfenster-Manager wurde mit dem Code (0xd00002fe) abgebrochen.
04.04.2019 08:26        Desktop Window Manager        9009        Der Desktopfenster-Manager wurde mit dem Code (0xd00002fe) abgebrochen.
04.04.2019 08:27        Desktop Window Manager        9009        Der Desktopfenster-Manager wurde mit dem Code (0xd00002fe) abgebrochen.
04.04.2019 08:39        Desktop Window Manager        9009        Der Desktopfenster-Manager wurde mit dem Code (0xd00002fe) abgebrochen.

So it seems UPM finished correctly. But the session gets disconnected immediately after it has been established (EventID 1027->1049). 

Maybe the error from Desktop Window Manager is the reason why the session gets unusable?
Consecutive tries to launch an application trigger event 9009 again and again but not event 1480. 

The Appplication name and command line logged in Event 1480 don't match. Internet Explorer is the mentioned App but the command line is that of another application started during session startup.

How can this be?

After event 1480 occured the session seems to be damaged.

With every consecutive try to start an app system32\TSTheme.exe gets started just before 9009 is logged.

Could this have something to do with switching between Windows 7 and Windows 10 machines and all that Aero stuff?

Edited by dsteffa628
forgot to mention error in event 1480