Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Windows 10 1803 startmenu not building up

Baumgartner AG

Question

Hello everybody

It is a newly deployed Citrix XenDesktop test environment based on 6 target machines. Installed is Windows 10 1803 Enterprise.

After login of any user, the start menu does not build up. When opening the start menu after logging in, you will only see a few Windows apps. (for example, Settings, Photos, Camera, Calendar, Mail, Microsoft Store, Search, and Video Editor.) Program folders or shortcuts to normally installed programs (for example, Office, Adobe Acrobat Pro, AutoCAD, etc.) are not displayed, regardless of whether they are provided in the ProgramData folder or via GPO.

Unbenannt.thumb.PNG.9e61258aed23c1c1c8c7673a2de8e03d.PNG

From time to time the start menu builds up after about 10-15 minutes, but this is rather rare.

If I manually restart the Windows Explorer via task manager after logging in, all start menu entries are immediately there.

Unbenannt5.thumb.PNG.72495156c97a02a41517b5cde25d4bac.PNG

has anybody else ecperienced this phenomenon or maybe is able to help?

VDA is on 7.15 cu3

DDCs are on 7.15 cu2

PVS Servers are on 7.15 cu3

Thanks and regards, Cedy

25 answers to this question

Hey Benjamin

Thx for your answer. At the time I posted this we had neither used nor configured UPM. Today we configured UPM because we want to use it in the future. Enabling and configuring UPM did not change anything about the start menu problem. 

Also I've set up a brand new vDisk Image with Windows 10 yesterday. The problem still occurs. Disabling all the GPO's did not help either... 

I'm really not sure anymore what I can do about this problem...

Hey Benjamin

Sorry for the late Answer, somehow it does not notify me about new answers...

Like I said in my previous answer: We didn't use UPM when the problem came up. UPM was configured last week, but didn't solve the problem. There are Settings in the UPM policy right now, but they don't help. 

// UNICODE INI FILE
[UPM configuration]
Created on=2018-12-03 12:03:14.364 (UTC), 2018-12-03 13:03:14.364 (Local)
For user=test
ServiceActive=1
ProcessAdmins=1
PathToUserStore=\\****\tsprofiles$\_Citrix_UPM\XenDesktop\%username%
DeleteCachedProfilesOnLogoff=1
LoadRetries=5
ProcessCookieFiles=0
OfflineSupport=0
DisableDynamicConfig=0
MigrateWindowsProfilesToUserStore=4
LocalProfileConflictHandling=2
TemplateProfilePath=
TemplateProfileOverridesLocalProfile=0
TemplateProfileOverridesRoamingProfile=0
TemplateProfileIsMandatory=0
LogoffRatherThanTempProfile=0
ProfileDeleteDelay=60
LoggingEnabled=0
LogLevelWarnings=1
LogLevelInformation=1
LogLevelFileSystemNotification=0
LogLevelFileSystemActions=0
LogLevelRegistryActions=0
LogLevelRegistryDifference=0
LogLevelActiveDirectoryActions=0
LogLevelPolicyUserLogon=0
LogLevelLogon=1
LogLevelLogoff=1
LogLevelUserName=1
MaxLogSize=10485760
PathToLogFile=C:\Windows\system32\Logfiles\UserProfileManager
PSEnabled=0
PSAlwaysCache=0
PSAlwaysCacheSize=0
PSMidSessionWriteBack=0
PSPendingLockTimeout=1
CPEnabled=0
CPSchemaPath=
CPPath=Windows\PM_CP
CPMigrationFromBaseProfileToCPStore=0
ExclusionListRegistry0=Software\Microsoft\AppV\Client\Publishing
ExclusionListRegistry1=Software\Microsoft\AppV\Client\Integration
SyncExclusionListDir0=videos
SyncExclusionListDir1=tracing
SyncExclusionListDir2=searches
SyncExclusionListDir3=saved games
SyncExclusionListDir4=pictures
SyncExclusionListDir5=music
SyncExclusionListDir6=links
SyncExclusionListDir7=favorites
SyncExclusionListDir8=downloads
SyncExclusionListDir9=documents
SyncExclusionListDir10=AppData\Roaming\sun\java\deployment\tmp
SyncExclusionListDir11=AppData\Roaming\sun\java\deployment\log
SyncExclusionListDir12=AppData\Roaming\sun\java\deployment\cache
SyncExclusionListDir13=AppData\Roaming\microsoft\appv\client\catalog
SyncExclusionListDir14=appdata\locallow
SyncExclusionListDir15=AppData\Local\windows live
SyncExclusionListDir16=AppData\Local\temp
SyncExclusionListDir17=AppData\Local\sun
SyncExclusionListDir18=AppData\Local\packages
SyncExclusionListDir19=AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files
SyncExclusionListDir20=AppData\Local\microsoft\windows\notifications
SyncExclusionListDir21=AppData\Local\microsoft\windows\cd burning
SyncExclusionListDir22=AppData\Local\microsoft\windows\burn
SyncExclusionListDir23=AppData\Local\microsoft\windows\application shortcuts
SyncExclusionListDir24=AppData\Local\microsoft\windows live contacts
SyncExclusionListDir25=AppData\Local\microsoft\windows live
SyncExclusionListDir26=AppData\Local\microsoft\uev
SyncExclusionListDir27=AppData\Local\microsoft\terminal server client
SyncExclusionListDir28=AppData\Local\microsoft\outlook
SyncExclusionListDir29=AppData\Local\microsoft\onenote
SyncExclusionListDir30=AppData\Local\microsoft\office\15.0\lync\tracing
SyncExclusionListDir31=AppData\Local\microsoft\messenger
SyncExclusionListDir32=AppData\Local\microsoft\appv
SyncExclusionListDir33=AppData\Local\grouppolicy
SyncExclusionListDir34=appdata\local
SyncExclusionListDir35=$recycle.bin
SyncExclusionListFiles0=AppData\Local\microsoft\windows\usrclass.dat*
MirrorFoldersList0=appdata\local\autodesk
MirrorFoldersList1=appdata\local\microsoft\vault
MirrorFoldersList2=appdata\local\tiledatalayer
StreamingExclusionList0=AppData\Roaming\microsoft\systemcertificates
StreamingExclusionList1=AppData\Roaming\microsoft\protect
StreamingExclusionList2=AppData\Roaming\microsoft\crypto
StreamingExclusionList3=AppData\Roaming\microsoft\credentials
StreamingExclusionList4=AppData\Local\microsoft\credentials
[UPM information]
UPMVersion=7.15.3000.123
UPM_Profile_Version=2
[Windows information]
MajorVersion=10
MinorVersion=0
BuildNumber=17134
ServicePackMajor=0
ServicePackMinor=0
PlatformId=2
CSDVersion=
OSLanguage=de
NumberOfProcessors=8
PageSize=4096
ProcessorType=8664
ProcessorArchitecture=9
ProcessorLevel=6
ProcessorRevision=21764

On 3.1.2019 at 4:13 PM, Thorsten Schmale said:

Hi baumgartner,

are you still facing these problems. We have exactly the same behaviour. :-(

Regards,

Thorsten

Hey Thorsten

Yes, we are still having the issue. I Reverse imaged the vDisk today and installing the latest NVIDIA Driver 412.16 right now. Will give some feedback when there's some news about it. 

Regards, Cedy

1 hour ago, Baumgartner AG said:

Hey Thorsten

Yes, we are still having the issue. I Reverse imaged the vDisk today and installing the latest NVIDIA Driver 412.16 right now. Will give some feedback when there's some news about it. 

Regards, Cedy

Updating the NVIDIA Driver did not solve the issue.... I'm starting to get lost in this. Even the support case at microsoft didn't give me any Idea what causes this problem. 

On 25.1.2019 at 6:54 AM, Thorsten Schmale said:

Same for us. It doen't matter which VDA version you use. Win10 1803 and 1809 (even 1809 LTSC) all have this behaviour.

The only solution for us so far is to use Win10 1607 LTSB.

Hey Tschmal

1607 is not an Option for us, since it does not run properly with 7.15 LTSR and the latest NVIDIA Drivers. We have to use at least 1803 for a proper functionality.

We noticed something similar on 1809 running 7.15 CU3. In our case, it seemed to be dependent on the onedrivesetup.exe running at logon. As long as the process was active, the start menu would not finish populating. As soon as onedrivesetup updated onedrive the start menu would populate. We manually removed onedrivesetup.exe to keep it from running at startup. After doing this the start menu would never completely populate. We have yet to find a fix for the issue.

Guys are you using Applayering? I have the same issue when I turn on elastic layers. Now I'm using user layering to solve the problem, but I'm traying to find a solution with UPM too.

My tests:

- App Layer without elastic layers: Working

- App Layer with elastic layers: Fail

- App Layer with old UPM profiles (comming from W2012) : Working if AppData roaming is enabled at UPM (thats crazy)

Enviromment: Win10 with VDA 7.15CU3

Have you found an update to this issue? I am running Windows 10 1803, with all Xen components upgraded to 7.15 LTSR CU3. We have been rolling this setup out for a few weeks with no issue. All of a sudden, starting yesterday, we are having this exact issue. If i restart Explorer.exe, the start menu fully populates, just like OP. Tne start menu breaks on the third login for my users, and every login after that unless I reset the UPM profile, which is obviously not a realistic option going forward.

7 hours ago, Leonard Blackman said:

Have you found an update to this issue? I am running Windows 10 1803, with all Xen components upgraded to 7.15 LTSR CU3. We have been rolling this setup out for a few weeks with no issue. All of a sudden, starting yesterday, we are having this exact issue. If i restart Explorer.exe, the start menu fully populates, just like OP. Tne start menu breaks on the third login for my users, and every login after that unless I reset the UPM profile, which is obviously not a realistic option going forward.

Still no solid solution for this. I just accepted it since I've tried every single solution which was given to me, and I couldn't solve it. 

I continued to use my login script which restarts the explorer about 20 seconds after login. 

14 hours ago, Baumgartner AG said:

Still no solid solution for this. I just accepted it since I've tried every single solution which was given to me, and I couldn't solve it. 

I continued to use my login script which restarts the explorer about 20 seconds after login. 

I just found this link and gave it a try by maunally deleting the files in the UPM profile.

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX224835

Have you tried this?

Specifically, I deleted all "AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Usrclass.dat*"

Nevermind, I see you already have an exclusion listed "SyncExclusionListFiles0=AppData\Local\microsoft\windows\usrclass.dat*"

Edited by lblackman23
Update info
15 hours ago, Leonard Blackman said:

I just found this link and gave it a try by maunally deleting the files in the UPM profile.

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX224835

Have you tried this?

Specifically, I deleted all "AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Usrclass.dat*"

Nevermind, I see you already have an exclusion listed "SyncExclusionListFiles0=AppData\Local\microsoft\windows\usrclass.dat*"

Normally you don't synchronize localappdata anyway. So if you didn't force to synchronize those folders, they shouldn't be in the UPM profile.

This is kind of crazy. I am having the same problem. I just started a project trying to get profile management in place using WEM and this keeps happening to my Windows 10 VDA's. It's not every time and the start menu will go from no icons, to only some UWP icons to not working at all. When the start menu won't come up at all I can right click on it but I cannot right click any icons pinned or open on the taskbar. I didn't think to restart explorer which does fix it.

I've rebuilt my test environment and it happens every single time. It's really frustrating because I want to take this to production!

Have any of you opened a ticket with Citrix. This only happens if I implement profile management. This doesn't happen when using windows profiles. I'm not roaming AppData\Local\microsoft\.

I'm going to open a ticket with Citrix.

On 29.7.2019 at 4:59 AM, John Long1709161081 said:

This is kind of crazy. I am having the same problem. I just started a project trying to get profile management in place using WEM and this keeps happening to my Windows 10 VDA's. It's not every time and the start menu will go from no icons, to only some UWP icons to not working at all. When the start menu won't come up at all I can right click on it but I cannot right click any icons pinned or open on the taskbar. I didn't think to restart explorer which does fix it.

I've rebuilt my test environment and it happens every single time. It's really frustrating because I want to take this to production!

Have any of you opened a ticket with Citrix. This only happens if I implement profile management. This doesn't happen when using windows profiles. I'm not roaming AppData\Local\microsoft\.

I'm going to open a ticket with Citrix.

Hi jlong

I had a Ticket open with Citrix, but they could not help. I also opened a thread in Microsoft technet forums. Several people had similar problems and provided some fixes, but none of them helped me with this problem. 

So I ended up with running a script in user policy, which restarts the explorer 15 seconds after login. 

I will test this with Windows 10 1903 also and provide the infos.

Regards, Cedy

I have the fix. Quit using Citrix profile management. Just stop using it right now lol.

Microsoft purchased a company called FSLogix, which I read about in another post here. FSLogix does container based (vhdx) profile management. I went from not knowing anything about it on Friday to having it fully implemented in a test environment by Sunday evening. All while keeping my kids occupied over the weekend! My start menu issues went away immediately. Also my login times are sub 20 seconds. The other good thing is you don't have to fool around with inclusions or exclusions. Most of my last 2 weeks has been trying to figure out what to include or not in CPM. My issues with outlook search and profile management in a non-persistent VDI deployment are gone as well.

Microsoft's purchase of FSLogix is the final nail in the coffin for CPM as far as I'm concerned. Now if Citrix would realize this and focus entirely on WEM to make it better. Hell, maybe they already have and that's why problems like this are not being addressed.

Implement FSLogix, you won't be disappointed.

One other thing I kept running into is I was using windows 10 1809. I kept reading that 1809 is not supported here and there, so I went back to 1803. Since I'm using enterprise licenses it will be supported until mid to late 2020. Not sure if going back to 1803 helped, but it certainly couldn't have hurt.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/fslogix/overview

I'm glad you could fix your problem with this solution.

unfortunately, it is no solution to me (more like a workaround). I am pretty happy with UPM in general. It also gives us the opportunity to include/exclude folders and files, which is a very helpful thing for keeping the profiles small and clean. For Example we have to include an Autodesk folder in localappdata, which contains user and program files for AutoCAD 2020. ALso we are able to exclude temp directories like Google Chrome Code Cache Folders and others. 

Besides this, we are running XenDesktop aswell as XenApp Farms with server 2016, which is not supported by FSLogix regarding the documentation. 

A user could have about 4 different UPMN problems (XenDesktop, XenApp, AppServer and AutoCAD Server), this works like a charm.

Update:

Please take a look at this Post:

https://discussions.citrix.com/topic/391754-windows-2016-start-menu-blank-icons-with-715-cu1/?page=9

The Answer from kconder597 seems to solve the problem:

"With the help of our TRM and a dedicated escalation engineer, Citrix was able to provide a suitable workaround for this issue by modifying the following registry key:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell\StateStore\

DWORD:  ResetCache

Value: 1

"

I just deploy this entry with GPO at every logon. It really seems to work, all of the shortcuts and Folders are there in the start menu. 

Could someone please confirm this?

Regards, Cedy