Welcome to our new Citrix community!

How to update app layers with a new OS Layer

David Vinnedge1709158396

Question

Hello all,

I'm fairly new to the app layering process and I have a general question.

We've got a Windows 10 Build 1703 OS layer.  All our app layers are based off the 1703 build layer.

Now we're testing out WIn 10 Build 1803.  So, we've got a new OS layer for 1803.  What is the best practice to "upgrade" the app layers over to the newer OS layer?

Do I just create a new version of the app layer and associate it with the newer OS layer?  Do I clone the app layer and then start building from there?  Do I do a fresh app layer based off the new 1803 OS build?  Are there any "gotcha's" to simply updating the App Layer to the new OS build?  Would something like office 2016\365 behave well just updating it to the 1803 OS build?

Part of me thinks I should be fine just updating the App Layers to the new OS build.  Then again Microsoft likes to put all kinds of new stuff\shuffle things around whenever they come out with a new OS build and so maybe just updating the App Layer to the new OS build might cause unintended consequences....  Just looking for what the best practice is for something like this.

Thank you for your responses!

7 answers to this question

hi René,

If you create a "new" OS layer you will have to recreate all your layers.  Layers go with the OS layer they are created with.  So you don't want to create  new one you want to add a version to your existing one and upgrade it.  I normally do this by downloading a new ISO and using that on the new version packaging machine.  Remember to make sure the image size for the new version is big enough to handle the upgrade and don't remove the Windows.old folder we will do that after we copy what we need out of it.

Rob

• Like 1

Our expectation is that application layers will work without you doing anything but re-publishing your images with the new OS layer.  However, as you say, Microsoft may have changed things a bit so testing becomes very important.  So publish a new image and test it yourself and if you have app owners have them test, then have a group of real users test ideally from different departments.  Then you will feel better about rolling out the new image to all your users.

Apps that are more likely to have issues are those that are more integrated into the OS like Antivirus.

Rob

Rob, we have the same question here. We tried re-publishing the image with a new OS layer, but the new OS layer is not listed in the available OS layers. When we create a new image template based on the new OS layer, there no app layers to choose from. I suspect because there are no app layers created with the new OS layer yet.

So, how would we update our app layers or existing image templates to use a new OS layer?

Thank you for your responses!

René

Hi Rob,

Just a question around this.

we have recently updated our OS layer, which has caused an issue with our Office layer i think.

Faulting application name: WINWORD.EXE, version: 16.0.11328.20368, time stamp: 0x5d1735d8
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.14393.2999, time stamp: 0x5ce36b16
Exception code: 0xe06d7363
Fault offset: 0x000dc1a2
Faulting process id: 0x298
Faulting application start time: 0x01d53db52396e269
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\WINWORD.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 679f8f75-a9a8-11e9-a97b-000d3ad1aaaa
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

is there  a process from Citrix?

Should we update the OS Layer, then Boot and create a new version for our applications, the process seems pretty vage. what is the safest option? 

im going to boot a new office layer, although im not sure if i should run a repair or what.

Thanks,