App Layering 4.15 MCS Azure Connector: Operating System Licensing Rearm Failed

Michael Shirtcliff1709159619

Question

Previous to 7.15 I have been using the excellent script provided by Rob Zylowski to convert the generalized image published in App Layering using the Azure connector and make it ready for use by MCS. https://www.citrix.com/blogs/2018/09/21/app-layering-on-azure-managed-by-citrix-cloud/

With the release of 7.15 we gained the following new feature:

Azure connector for MCS: There is now a separate connector to use for Citrix MCS on Azure. This connector defaults to the Not generalized option and improves user experience for MCS use cases on Azure by eliminating extra steps. https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-app-layering/4/whats-new/4-15.html

I reached out to Rob who kindly confirmed that with this new MCS Azure connector that the script would no longer be needed. However i have found through testing that the MCS catalog reports that the following warning:

This machine catalog has the following warnings: Image preparation failed to ream the copy of Windows installed on the master image. Confirm that the machines created in the catalog are licensed correctly. Operating System Licensing Rearm failed.

I have tried to disable both Osream and Imageprep via powershell but both options are blocked (this is restricted in Virtual Apps and Desktops as a service in Citrix Cloud). I raised a support request and even the support teams were unable to disable on the backend.

Subsequently i was advised to update the regkey to skip rearm as per https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX208191.

This had no impact.

Anyone else come across this or using the same combination with success?

Virtual Apps and Desktops as a service (Citrix Cloud) with VDA 1808.2 

App Layering 4.15 (Azure MCS connector)

Azure hosting

Workloads Windows 10/Server 2016

17 answers to this question

When i tested the new MCS connector I also go an error due to office activation however the image i used was deployed even though i got the error.  Did you notice whether your image was updated even though you received the error.  If so you should just be able to ignore it.  Obviously if it did not update then I think you should open a ticekt with support so they can get the issue logged.

Rob

Hi Rob, the image deployed is accessible. I've raised it with support as even if the warning is safe to ignore it still needs to be addressed inline with the products capabilities. Office activation is handled via click-to-run in our environment and the OS is built from the Azure Marketplace Windows images so should not be any activation issues.

I will be pushing an image update to the catalog today and will update this thread with success or failure of the image update process

So just to update, still seeing this issue with App Layering 19.2.0.17 and VDA 1811.1 with Virtual Apps and Desktops service.

Activation is reporting correctly as KMS activated. I suspect that this warning can safely be ignored from what i am seeing, really want it to either not flag in the first place or at least be able to be suppressed in the same way as the RDS licensing warning.

Going to piggyback this issue. I'm seeing this as well. Using 7.15 LTSR VDA with Virtual Apps and Desktops as a Service in Citrix Cloud.

Would really love if Set-ProvServiceConfigurationData -Name ImageManagementPrep_Excluded_Steps -Value OsRearm just worked as it should even in Citrix Cloud. Either that or allow you to suppress the warning. This is a build-out for a new customer to Citrix in general so having a random warning that you can't get rid of...looks bad!!!!

Tiffany, let me know if you have any success with this. I raised a case to request and did not have any success. The support team initially tried to set this via powershell from my side which i already knew was not possible, it was then escalated and the response that i was provided was that this is not possible to be set remotely even by support and the case was closed.

I'll raise a new case and reference this forum....

Yeah so opening a case was pointless. :32_expressionless:  You can see the response below. It is really not a good look for the functionality to be there outside of Citrix Cloud, but tell us to live with it inside of Citrix Cloud. 

With Citrix Cloud, that doesn't really need to happen as disabling the OS rearm is simply a bandaid with the configuration you are doing.  When utilizing App Layering with Citrix Cloud and you are selecting the AL connector, you need to make sure to select the MCS Connector for whichever hypervisor you are using.

Please try that first and then let me know.  And I have already confirmed with some of my App Layering SMEs that if you still see warnings in Studio, those are fine as long as you can confirm that Windows is successfully activated.

Yep. No luck. Because it is "cosmetic", they won't fix it. 

That is correct.  It is really just a cosmetic issue as it isn't affecting the machines themselves.  With that info and what has been provided thus far, I'll go ahead and archive the case.  If needed, you can call back in within 30 days to have the case re-opened.

I'm disappointed in this answer!!!!

Same response i got, for both the original case and the second case.

Agree that the warning being "cosmetic only" is not fine.... its either broken or not. Studio needs to be updated to identify and handle this correctly. This has been a known issue since end of last year as i encountered this when the Azure connector for MCS was added to App Layering and raised my initial incident at the time. Both Citrix Virtual Apps Service and Citrix App Layering have gone through a number of releases since then and the issue persists.

This needs to be added to the known issues in the App Layering documentation!

That issue happens when there is no template used for the master image so when it gets spun up the time can be off.  When using Citrix Cloud the only thing you can do is ignore the errors because you cant disable the activation parts of the MCS preparation in cloud.  But it should work fine and can be ignored.  With App layering we activate both windows and office every boot.

5 minutes ago, Rob Zylowski1709158051 said:

That issue happens when there is no template used for the master image so when it gets spun up the time can be off.  When using Citrix Cloud the only thing you can do is ignore the errors because you cant disable the activation parts of the MCS preparation in cloud.  But it should work fine and can be ignored.  With App layering we activate both windows and office every boot.

Right, we are not having issues with the actual activation either, but the warning message is still a unnecessary annoyance. Hope there is a fix for this on the roadmap.

I actually was provided a working "resolution" to this issue via escalated support ticket. When creating the final image template, in the app layering task details there will be a link to build a VM from an Azure template using the VHD that was created. Go ahead and build this VM, allow it to power on for a few min, then simply power it back off. Once this is done you can continue the same usual steps of building/updating the MCS machine catalog using that same VHD. You can also delete the VM that Azure built once this process is completed (since it will not delete the VHD itself).

Apparently this is allowing the re-arm process to complete before the MCS catalog is constructed. They acknowledged that NONE of this portion is in the documentation, and will be working to add it in. Hopefully in the road map this process will be automated by ELM so the extra step is not necessary.