Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Joe W

Question

I am currently in the process of rolling out a new Xenapp 7.15 farm (Windows 2016, ESXi 6.0U3, PVS 7.15, vDisk storage on Thick Provisioned VNX LUNS)

I am experiencing an issue where after a while (not sure if its hours or days) the VMs will enter a "Zombie" state.

Symptoms include:

• VM Power State shows "Powered On"
  • VMware Tools: "Not running"
  • CPU spikes with one thread pinned at around 95% (see screenshot)
  • Cannot ping its IP address
  • Black screen on console & no mouse. CTRL-ALT-DEL does not work
  • Can remote desktop but again presented with a black screen & no mouse control
  • Can remote connect via Computer Management in Windows but cannot expand Services, Event Viewer, etc.

I have seen some of the threads regarding the black screen issues but this appears to be only during bootup (which I was experiencing but have since applied the UPM fix)

The only solution I have found is to force a hard reset on the VM.

CPU.JPG

4 answers to this question

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 7:49 AM, Ludi Fang said:

Have you solved the issue now? I currently see the same issue after upgrading from 7.15 CU2 to CU3.

Nope. We've had to abandon/postpone our upgrade plans as the combination of Windows 2016 and Xenapp 7.15 seems to be completely unreliable/unusable.

Very disappointing, to say the least.

The problem is that these are provisioned vdisks so anything that is captured in the event log is lost once we are forced to reboot.

One thing that I will say we have found to improve performance in general is by enabling RSS (Receiver Side Scaling) on the target device.

We still encounter the occasional "zombie" vm though so this is not a permanent fix.