Welcome to our new Citrix community!

networkcard problems

Andreas Mueller1709155062

Question

hello,

i have massiv networkcard problems due create layer.
My Environment:
Host : Hyper-V Server 2016
Client : Server 2016

ELM : 4.14

My steps:
1: create a vm scratch from iso, no updates applied.
2: import the disc to ELM
3: add version, install all updates
4: create "app layer1" with no software
5: create "app layer2" with no software
6: add version to "app layer1", install office2016 and all updates
7: add version to "app layer2" with "app layer1" as prerequisite

when the packaging vm starts it has no networkconnection, devicemanager shows "Microsoft Hyper-V Network Adapter #2" with a yellow exclamation mark with error 31

i run the cleanup script from George Spiers with no success.

any suggestions?

sorry for my bad english, i am from german

Greets Andreas

20 answers to this question

Why do you do sysprep in step 8?  If you want a machine to be generalized, use our Generalize Offline option.  We do not test manually running sysprep on the image, and I really do expect it to have problems.  I guess I still don't understand how you are deploying machines.  If you just want to make a stand-along machine, why not just set the machine name and join the domain?  I guess I also don't understand "implementing a unattend.xml".

Explain to me how you plan to deploy machines, and I can help you design a process.  I don'tu nderstand why your plan isn't simply:

4. Create platform layer, run unattend.hta to create the unattend.xml file

5. Create image, include OS and Platform Layer, set Sysprep to Generalize Offline.

6. Publish image directly to Hyper-V connector.

7. Clone new machine from published machine.

8. Power on the clone, it will go through Windows Setup and prompt you for the machine name.

9. Repeat steps 7 and 8 as necessary.

Actually, now that I think of it, I'm not sure Hyper-V has a "clone VM" option without SCVMM.  But still, don't run sysprep on the image.  Use our function to enable Sysprep, and as soon as the machine powers on, it will run Windows Setup, and you will only be prompted for the machine name.

6 minutes ago, Andreas Mueller1709155062 said:

i created 5 App Layers without Software. Then i try to add a Version to one of these (as an an example App Layer 5), the Network was broken.

then i delete 2 of the 5 App layer (App Layer 1 and App Layer 2) and add a Version to App layer 5, the Network works.

But if you ignore layer 1 and 2: you added a version to layer 5, the network was broken.  You canceled that version.  You added a version to layer 5 again and the network worked.  That's just bizarre.  Both new versions of layer 5 were based on the same previous version  They should have both behaved identically.

Check the System tab in the Management Console web page and make sure your layering repository is not running low on space.  Maybe deleting layer 1 and layer 2 freed up just a tiny bit of space, and we were running out without noticing.

On ‎23‎.‎11‎.‎2018 at 7:05 PM, Gunther Anderson said:

Why do you do sysprep in step 8?  If you want a machine to be generalized, use our Generalize Offline option.  We do not test manually running sysprep on the image, and I really do expect it to have problems.  I guess I still don't understand how you are deploying machines.  If you just want to make a stand-along machine, why not just set the machine name and join the domain?  I guess I also don't understand "implementing a unattend.xml".

Explain to me how you plan to deploy machines, and I can help you design a process.  I don'tu nderstand why your plan isn't simply:

4. Create platform layer, run unattend.hta to create the unattend.xml file

5. Create image, include OS and Platform Layer, set Sysprep to Generalize Offline.

6. Publish image directly to Hyper-V connector.

7. Clone new machine from published machine.

8. Power on the clone, it will go through Windows Setup and prompt you for the machine name.

9. Repeat steps 7 and 8 as necessary.

Actually, now that I think of it, I'm not sure Hyper-V has a "clone VM" option without SCVMM.  But still, don't run sysprep on the image.  Use our function to enable Sysprep, and as soon as the machine powers on, it will run Windows Setup, and you will only be prompted for the machine name.

Here are some background information about our environment. We are a data center with several clients. We serve about 8000 users on about 400 WTS servers. We have a software distribution that sits on an empty OS. This then creates a master image in which the standard applications such as Office, Adobe Reader, etc. and the client-specific software are installed. This image is sysprepded. From this image, the customer terminal server will be created. The complete process is automated. The idea is now to simplify the creation of the master image with app layering and to avoid any errors when installing the individual software components. I would create an OS layer and a platform layer and then assign layers to each app. If a customer now, e.g. an update of a customer software, we just need to update this one layer and publish the image. From this, our master will be created from the then again to terminal server to be created. If, in fact, the master's Sysprep were the problem, we could omit this step and use the app layer functionality. It would be important only that if we implement a Unattend.xml during the rollout an automatic configuration takes place and no minisetup from Windows. Sometimes we have to roll out about 100 servers at the same time, because everything has to go automatically. I will try it. Thank you so far for your support.
greeting
Andreas

On ‎12‎.‎11‎.‎2018 at 2:54 PM, Gunther Anderson said:

Is there a reason you are using 'Generalize Offline"?  How are you creating machines?  All we could do is look at the three setupact.log files (C:\Windows, \Windows\panther and \Windows\Panther\unattendgc) to see if there's a specific error.  And that's something that should be done in a support case and not a forum thread.  We also want you to test with no app layers, just OS and Platform, to make sure this isn't something coming from an app layer.

i don´t use 'Generalize offline'

i can´t figure it out. Here are my steps:
1. deploy new ELM version 4.13 - same problems with 4.14 and 4.15
2. deploy vm on Hyper-V 2012R2 (also tested with 2016), install scratch from iso, no updates.
3. import disc in ELM
4. create image with just the OL
5. deploy image
6. copy the vhd to our softwaredeploymentshare
7. deploy vm with the copied disc.
8. start vm, set static ip, rename, join domain, at last start sysprep with /generalize /oobe / quiet /quit.
9. create new vm (production-server) with the sysprep-vdisk, implementing a unattend.xml with vm-name, ip config, etc.
10. start vm
11. when set the image to "elastic layering = none" all run´s fine, when it set to "aplication layering" the vm´s start´s with "configuration could not be completed"

Is there a reason you are using 'Generalize Offline"?  How are you creating machines?  All we could do is look at the three setupact.log files (C:\Windows, \Windows\panther and \Windows\Panther\unattendgc) to see if there's a specific error.  And that's something that should be done in a support case and not a forum thread.  We also want you to test with no app layers, just OS and Platform, to make sure this isn't something coming from an app layer.

14 minutes ago, Gunther Anderson said:

But if you ignore layer 1 and 2: you added a version to layer 5, the network was broken.  You canceled that version.  You added a version to layer 5 again and the network worked.  That's just bizarre.  Both new versions of layer 5 were based on the same previous version  They should have both behaved identically.

Check the System tab in the Management Console web page and make sure your layering repository is not running low on space.  Maybe deleting layer 1 and layer 2 freed up just a tiny bit of space, and we were running out without noticing.

That was my thought too. I can´t explain it.

The storage has 230GB free.

24 minutes ago, Gunther Anderson said:

Static IPs will eventually be a problem.  See this article: https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX237731

We use the DHCP last lease time to determine which NIC is the current, valid network device.  We need to know the current network device when editing layers.  Otherwise we will construct the registry wrong.  If you're not using DHCP, there is no DHCP lease time for us to look for.  But that only matters when Publishing.

i will give DHCP a try.

17 minutes ago, Gunther Anderson said:

I don't think I understand your last results.  Are you saying that you created a layer, added a version to it, saw the network broken, deleted the new version, added a version again, and the network was not broken?  Can you give more details?

i created 5 App Layers without Software. Then i try to add a Version to one of these (as an an example App Layer 5), the Network was broken.

then i delete 2 of the 5 App layer (App Layer 1 and App Layer 2) and add a Version to App layer 5, the Network works.

Static IPs will eventually be a problem.  See this article: https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX237731

We use the DHCP last lease time to determine which NIC is the current, valid network device.  We need to know the current network device when editing layers.  Otherwise we will construct the registry wrong.  If you're not using DHCP, there is no DHCP lease time for us to look for.  But that only matters when publishing.

I don't think I understand your last results.  Are you saying that you created a layer, added a version to it, saw the network broken, deleted the new version, added a version again, and the network was not broken?  Can you give more details?

when i create App Layer 2 with App Layer 1 as a prerequisite it dosn´t work.

App Layer 1 contains Office2016x86, App Layer 2 Microsoft CRM, witch needs Office2016 as a prerequisite.

As we need office2016 also in other images it would be twice the effort to maintain office2016 2 times.

Removing the NIC in the Device Manager, even the hidden devices and rescanning does not solve the problem. Just removing the NIC via Hyper-V Manager and re-adding will work.

If you create App Layer 2 with App LAyer 1 as a prerequisite, does it work?  It's unusual to add a prerequisite when adding a version to a layer.  Usually you create the layer with the prerequisite in place, and always include it in future versions.

Go to Device Manager, and uninstall the Hyper-V network adapter.  Then rescan for devices.  Does the network card function then?

Archived