Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Change Citrix to New vCenter Server

Hassan Ali

Question

We have deployed a new vcenter server which has a new host name. How can we change existing vcenter with the new one in xendesktop environment. We have machine catalogs with both Server OS and Desktop OS. Do we have to recreate everything from scratch or it is juts a matter of recreating machine catalogs only? Can we use existing machines with the new catalog? How about Server OS machine catalogs with provisioned apps.

Could someone please explain in details steps on how to bring this change into our xendesktop environment?

7 answers to this question

MCS?

Import new vCenter certificate to all Delivery Controllers.

Add the new hosting connection.

Recreate all MCS Catalogs on the new Hosting Connection.

Add the new Catalog machines to the existing Delivery Groups. 

Delete the old MCS Catalogs.

For persistent machines, you’ll have to move them manually (assuming they aren’t linked clones) and then add them to a manual Catalog.

• Like 1

Hi Carl

I have installed vcenter certificate to all delivery controllers. But still unable to create hosting connection due to certificate error.  What could be wrong. I have placed the certificate in Trusted People Store. Since this didn't work I have installed the certificate in Trusted Root Certification Authorities and Third Party Root Certification Authorities as well. Still the same. But when I browse vcenter server from browser no certificate error is displayed.

image.thumb.png.321433aba9db25733861187d2ec5bf45.png

On 2018/11/2 at 4:05 AM, Hassan Ali said:

Hi Carl

I have installed vcenter certificate to all delivery controllers. But still unable to create hosting connection due to certificate error.  What could be wrong. I have placed the certificate in Trusted People Store. Since this didn't work I have installed the certificate in Trusted Root Certification Authorities and Third Party Root Certification Authorities as well. Still the same. But when I browse vcenter server from browser no certificate error is displayed.

image.thumb.png.321433aba9db25733861187d2ec5bf45.png

Please refer to article below:

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX224551

Our VMWare team is deploying a new instance (URL/Certs/etc.) It was my understanding that once the new hosting connection is added to Studio I will have to recreate the machine catalogs, but I've read on Reddit that there is a powershell script to update the UUIDs of the VMs to prevent this. The post https://www.reddit.com/r/Citrix/comments/531ron/migrating_to_a_new_vcenter_server/ references a script that was provided by /u/TheMuffnMan/.

What has everyone's experience been when migrating to a new VCenter/Hosting Connection with Citrix.

We have a mixture of PVS, MCS, and Standalone....the PVS pieces seem straight forward as we have about ~1200 targets, but MCS and Standalone seem like a pain

Do I need to recreate all the machine catalogs and add them back to the delivery groups?

Thanks in advance!

On 10/27/2018 at 8:03 PM, Carl Stalhood1709151912 said:

MCS?

Import new vCenter certificate to all Delivery Controllers.

Add the new hosting connection.

Recreate all MCS Catalogs on the new Hosting Connection.

Add the new Catalog machines to the existing Delivery Groups. 

Delete the old MCS Catalogs.

For persistent machines, you’ll have to move them manually (assuming they aren’t linked clones) and then add them to a manual Catalog.

Hi Carl,

can I use same procedure if I rename vcenter server?

Thank's