Welcome to our new Citrix community!

WEM and AlwaysOn Group

Julien DESTOMBES1709158802

Question

Hello,

I need some advise to configure a deployment that is already in production on a single SQL Server to a SQL AlwaysOn solution (with the same SQL server).    Because today the database is not in AAG, the vuemUser has the default password (I don't know this password, does anyone do ?).

The recommandation is to change the user password to put the Database in AAG but I think that the master key of the database is encrypted by the vuemUser default password.

If I use the mmc I have to specify the master key password to put the database in a AAG group. Is there a way to alter the master key without losing the Citrix support or data in the database ?

There is a lot a assignation and recreate a new database is not a valid solution.

Thanks a lot for any help !

5 answers to this question

Thanks Carl for your answer.

That's the first step I tried on a testing environment but when I want to configure AAG in the mmc I have a message that's says my database is encrypted. I try to put the new vuemUser password and the wizard says that the password is not correct (I think it's because the master key has been encrypted by the default vuemUser).

If I used a transact SQL command to put the database in AAG group, the password is not required, but I don't know if I will be fully supported.

On 10/24/2018 at 1:02 PM, Julien DESTOMBES1709158802 said:

Thanks Carl for your answer.

That's the first step I tried on a testing environment but when I want to configure AAG in the mmc I have a message that's says my database is encrypted. I try to put the new vuemUser password and the wizard says that the password is not correct (I think it's because the master key has been encrypted by the default vuemUser).

If I used a transact SQL command to put the database in AAG group, the password is not required, but I don't know if I will be fully supported.

Julien - did you manage to sort this. I have a situation where the password I thought I entered for the vuemUser account is not the same as I have noted. I have tried changing the password in SQL and WEM database config (it test), but the AOG is not accepting the new password. I can only put this down to the original password still being in use, which I have lost. I could really do with a way around this rather than having to rebuild the databases.

Olly

Ho Olly,

Unfortunally not. The database master key is encrypt with the password you entered for the vuemUser at the database creation. If you change the vuemUSer password in SQL it does not change the encryption passphrase.

You have two options:

1 - Use transact SQL to configure the AOG (not sure it's supported by Citrix).

2- Recreate a new database (which it is not easy if you have a lot of assignment)

Regards

Archived