Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Workspace/Receiver crashes frequently since Safari update

Gregory Armstrong

Question

Ever since a recent Safari update (the one that disabled NPAPI and requires manual launching of the .ica), Workspace 18.09 has been crashing about every 15 minutes.  I'm using it on a newer Mac with Mojave and an older one with High Sierra--same problem.  I'm getting this behavior on a variety of wifi networks.  I've tried disabling the anti-malware software, which hadn't changed anyway.  I'm not aware of any other recent updates to the system, other than possibly an update of the Microsoft Office software.

Nothing seems to precipitate the crash--I can be interacting with the desktop, just looking at it, or the system can be locked because I'm away from the desk.  

There are occasionally periods of up to several hours where it works without crashing, although nothing special seems to be associated with this.

I've tried downgrading to Workspace 18.08, Receiver 12.9 and Receiver 12.8.  Same behavior.  

Nothing stands out when I look at hate logs, although I'm not at sure what I should be looking for.  There are a few messages that seem to come up repeatedly in the console:

Process: Citrix Viewer

Message: CMIOHardware.cpp:339:CMIOObjectGetPropertyData the System is exiting

Message: CMIO_DALA_System.cpp:264:GetPropertyData error 1970171760 (<private>) getting property with selector (<private>) scope (<private>) element 0

Process: com.apple.WebKit.Webcontent

Process: sharingd

Message: Trying to grab power assertion while we already have one

Any ideas about how to approach this?

11 answers to this question

I'm not sure anyone is paying attention, but this is still happening on both my iMac and on two different MacBook Airs.

Looking at the data sent to the Console, the crashes always occur just after the console receives a message from the Core Audio daemon, something to the effect of: image.thumb.png.3687da79b5147aaa638f626259e14788.png

HALS_IOContextDescription.cpp:1113:PushStreamUsageToEngines_block_invoke:  IOContext 972: pushing 1 output stream(s) to 'BuiltInSpeakerDevice'

There are usually 2-4 such messages related to input and output streams, and the speaker depends on which computer.

We have the same issue with two of our Macbook Pros.

Workspace App seems to freeze every now and then.

We have a Citrix case opened but so far there is no solution.

The information with Speaker device is new to me not sure if we have the same log message.

At the Macbooks there is no crash file, only a hang file but it seems the support cant get any helpful information from it so far.

bfrohn80:  I haven't engaged with this in a while, since Citrix doesn't appear to be interested in it (other than asking me to publicly post some potentially sensitive data).

I think the audio device issue may have been a red herring--the same message appears when the app closes normally, so it may simply be part of the normal shut-down process.  Looking at the logs from the Citrix app itself suggests it has something to do with communication with the local card reader.  If I remove the reader and completely close Safari (Safari -> Quit Safari), the app seems to be a little more stable, although I don't have a lot of experience with this yet.

Okay--For anyone who may be listening out there...

Here is what is different about the crashes:

| 01-29-2019 | 11:42:28.448 | 9877 | 43 |       scrmcxt.c |  303 | SCVD_Cmd_ReleaseContextRequest | TC_SCARDVD |     TT_API3 | Received SCARDVD_CMD_RELEASE_CONTEXT_REQUEST command
| 01-29-2019 | 11:42:28.448 | 9877 | 43 |       scrmcxt.c |  495 | SCVD_Cmd_ReleaseContextRequest | TC_SCARDVD |     TT_API3 | Sending SCARDVD_CMD_RELEASE_CONTEXT_REPLY command
| 01-29-2019 | 11:42:28.448 | 9877 | 4 |      scsndc2h.c |  957 | SCVD_SendC2HAsyncCommand | TC_SCARDVD |     TT_API3 | sending SCARDVD_CMD_READERS_STATUS command
| 01-29-2019 | 11:42:28.448 | 9877 | 4 |      scsndc2h.c |  963 | SCVD_SendC2HAsyncCommand | TC_SCARDVD |     TT_API3 | VDSCARD: The asynchronous notification command for the smart-card-readers'-status-change event was successfully sent
| 01-29-2019 | 11:42:28.463 | 9877 | 4 |       cgpglue.c |  652 |       UPTraceAO | TC_CGPCORE |     TT_API1 | CGPCore: Channel 0: Sending CGP_CHANNEL_CLOSE message with close type 0 and service status 2.

| 01-29-2019 | 11:42:28.479 | 9877 | 4 |       cgpglue.c |  652 |       UPTraceAO | TC_CGPCORE |     TT_API1 | CGPCore: Received CGP_CHANNEL_CLOSE message.
| 01-29-2019 | 11:42:28.480 | 9877 | 4 |       cgpglue.c |  652 |       UPTraceAO | TC_CGPCORE |     TT_API1 | CGPCore: Received CGP_FINISH_RESPONSE message.
| 01-29-2019 | 11:42:28.480 | 9877 | 4 |       cgpglue.c |  652 |       UPTraceAO | TC_CGPCORE |     TT_API1 | CGPCore: Received CGP_FINISH_REQUEST message.
| 01-29-2019 | 11:42:28.481 | 9877 | 4 |     tdwinsock.c |  793 | Td_DeviceDisconnect |    TC_TD |     TT_API3 | TD Device Disconnect Sent. 
| 01-29-2019 | 11:42:28.609 | 9877 | 1 |        logapi.m |  630 |        LogClose |     none |        none | LOG STOP

The four cgpglue.c entries are different (i.e,, starting with "Sending CGP_CHANNEL_CLOSE").

The entry, "VDSCARD: The asynchronous notification command..." often (maybe always?) precedes this.  However, there are dozens of identical entries throughout each log that aren't followed by a crash.

I have have no idea what cgpglue is.

Anyone receive any update on this? We're receiving intermittent disconnects on Citrix Workspace for Mac and our logs are showing the same "Channel 0: Sending CGP_CHANNEL_CLOSE message with close type 0 and service status 2." message upon disconnect.

Is this related to the known issue listed under the last handful of Citrix Workspace for Mac releases of "Smart card sessions might disconnect randomly. [RFMAC-1816]"?

No updates that I've heard of other than that the random disconnects are continuing for me under v19.3.

Citrix seems to be carrying that "known issue" (i.e., "Smart card sessions might disconnect randomly. [RFMAC-1816]") forward with each update, so at least they're acknowledging it.  But as far as I can tell, they're doing nothing about it.

For anyone listening:  After the last update (8 April 2019), which again carried forward "known issue" [RFMAC-1816] without actually fixing it, I finally managed to convince my agency to allow me to connect with an RSA key fob (rather than smart card).  The random disconnects stopped.  

Hopefully, Citrix will do something about this during my career so that I can turn the key fob back in and go back to using my smart card..