Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Create PVS (vhdx) image of Server 2019, someone did that?

Lars Johansson1709152431

Question

We have just decided that we shall not go for server 2016 when we will start to upgrade. We use server 2012 today and will start creating xenapp servers with OS server 2019 instead.

So i have just installed a server 2019 machine and joined it to the domain. After that i installed pvs target software version 1808 and then i creating the image.

I have not used the imageing wizard, i use the PVS tool P2V.exe instead. It worked fine and i got an vhdx file. After that i convert this file to fixed size because
the default is dynamic. Then i import it i pvs console and added a manintenance disk to it and boot a target up. It boots perfect and i can logon to the server.

So far it seems to work as it should, but it is now it start to behave strange. I promote the maint disk into production and boot server up. It still boots correct and i can login in to it BUT now i have strange things with the pagefile. It says that i dont have any pagefile any more and the pagefile settings menu is popping up when i have logged on. I have tested MANY things and nothing is working, i have a e-drive that is the write cache. I tried system managed, i tried to set a fixed page on c-drive and also a fixed page on e-drive. Then i tried to choose no page at all, if i do that i dont get any errors. So after that i was trying to add a page file via GPO Preference to add the registry value for the page, but no page is created.

If i check the pagefile when it is in wrire mode i can see all the settings in pagefile settings on the server.

If i use the same target as above on the old 2012 image, everything is working fine, so it must be something with the 2019 image.

We use server 2016 and PVS 1808.

Something i was thinking about just now when i typying this message is that i did not use the provisioning services device optimization tool, can that be a problem?

(this tool) https://goo.gl/images/F347Pz

7 answers to this question

Hi,

For now I have only rolled out Windows Server 2019 in my lab-environment. I have a small MDT setup, which deploys everything automatically including Citrix VDA. So I have basically just switched out the OS from 2016 to 2019, run the MDT deployment job and imported my VHDX to my PVS server, no issues in that process.

I have not seen any issues regarding missing a pagefile. It sounds like your cache disk drive letter may be switched eg. E on your golden image, and D in your production servers, I have seen that happening a couple of times.

15 hours ago, Kasper Johansen1709159522 said:

Hi,

For now I have only rolled out Windows Server 2019 in my lab-environment. I have a small MDT setup, which deploys everything automatically including Citrix VDA. So I have basically just switched out the OS from 2016 to 2019, run the MDT deployment job and imported my VHDX to my PVS server, no issues in that process.

I have not seen any issues regarding missing a pagefile. It sounds like your cache disk drive letter may be switched eg. E on your golden image, and D in your production servers, I have seen that happening a couple of times.

But i dont have any E och D drive on my golden image, i have never had that before when i has creating vhdx-files from my golden image. How does your golden image look like, i mean do you some more drive letters and have you moved the pagefile to that drive letter on your goldenimage

Hi,

Yes, I always configure an ekstra disk in my Golden Image machine to "act" as a cache disk, I find it a bit easier to configure redirection etc.

I never move the pagefile around, I let it sit on C and let the PVS Target Device software move it, if needed. The only thing I do with the pagefile is set it at a fixed size, 4GBs. Otherwise you could end up with a pagefile consuming most of your cache disk, if some application decides to hog your RAM.