Welcome to our new Citrix community!

App Layering User layer, 4 minutes to mount with SEP 14.2

Kyle Quinby1709157031

Question

We are running into an issue with App Layering 4.14 - 1812 where when the user logs in, the user layer is taking 4 minutes to mount. When SEP app layer is removed from the image, this issue disappears

The relevant part of the ulayersvc.log is below

2018-10-18 15:50:06,794 INFO 11 VirtualDiskService: Attaching virtual disk '\\co.com\users_default\Users\userID\108002_Win10Entx64\UserID.vhd'
2018-10-18 15:54:07,029 INFO 11 NativeMethodInterceptor: Native method 'CreateFile' took '239.5670306' seconds to execute.

Any thoughts?

Edit: Have since updated to 1812 App Layering and issue persists. SEP 14.2. No network scanning in the mix. Whitelisted Unidesk folder in program files, so layering service is not scanned. Even excluded the user layer network shares (even though network scanning is off). No dice

ulayersvc.log

8 answers to this question

Not really, no.  We're just making a call into Windows to attach that disk and waiting for the answer.  If you look in the Windows System and Application event logs, is there anything from anybody complaining about the disks getting attached?  Any new device detections shown in C:\Windows]inf\setupapi.dev.log?

I do have exactly one other customer reporting 3-5 minute delays attached elastic app layers when logging in the second time, which is quite similar to what you;re describing.  Until right this moment, I assumed it was environmental and strictly their issue.  Maybe what we learn from them will apply to you.

Do you have an image with Elastic Layering on but User Layers off?  I wonder if you login there and use DiskPart to attach the User Layer disk manually, what you would see.  Something like this:

diskpart.exe

select vdisk file=\\share-khan\Users\whatever\whatever.vhd

attach vdisk readonly

And just see how long that takes.  It would be a good experiment if you do the test with a user who has no elastic assignments, so the manual user layer attach is the first time this image has seen a VHD.

For what it's worth, we didn't see a slowdown with 4.14 and user layers although we only ran it for a few days because of the Word issue.   I didn't make any updates to the base image/layers just republished after upgrading the appliance.

We do not have any elastic application layers (just full user layer) and storage is local all SSD and shared from a reasonably up to date Windows 2016 VM.

Update cross posted from a similar thread here https://discussions.citrix.com/topic/392969-app-layering-4x-av-exclusions/

To circle back to this. After getting Symantec and Citrix support on a combined call, we attempted the following

Note : Network file access checks are off. Only scanning modified files

Whitelisting C:\Program Files\Unidesk folder entirely

Whitelisting the user file shares explicitly

Still no joy. Still exactly 4 minute logon delay when mounting the VHD with symantec in the picture. No errors in the elastic layer log service, just a 4 minute delay. Symantec verified all best practices for this are in place. Citrix confirmed. 

On 10/19/2018 at 8:52 AM, Gunther Anderson said:

Not really, no.  We're just making a call into Windows to attach that disk and waiting for the answer.  If you look in the Windows System and Application event logs, is there anything from anybody complaining about the disks getting attached?  Any new device detections shown in C:\Windows]inf\setupapi.dev.log?

I do have exactly one other customer reporting 3-5 minute delays attached elastic app layers when logging in the second time, which is quite similar to what you;re describing.  Until right this moment, I assumed it was environmental and strictly their issue.  Maybe what we learn from them will apply to you.

Do you have an image with Elastic Layering on but User Layers off?  I wonder if you login there and use DiskPart to attach the User Layer disk manually, what you would see.  Something like this:

diskpart.exe

select vdisk file=\\share-khan\Users\whatever\whatever.vhd

attach vdisk readonly

And just see how long that takes.  It would be a good experiment if you do the test with a user who has no elastic assignments, so the manual user layer attach is the first time this image has seen a VHD.

Gunther, I did run this exact test, and the command completed almost instantly. I verified no elastic layers had been attached yet before testing. 

I actually had the SAME EXACT issue, 4 minute delay logging in to the t, disabled SEP and the login delays wen away. I am running SEP 14.2 and was able to fix the issue by updating the Virus and Spyware Protection Policy.

In order to resolve, edit your Virus and Spyware policy tied to the OU where your VDI machines are and under advanced options select "Miscellaneous" then click on the Virtual Images Tab.

Confirm the following 2 settings are checked

Enable Virtual Image Exception for Auto-Protect

Enable Virtual Image Exception for Administrator-Defined Scans

Once I did that, I pushed out the policy and my logins were cut down to 20-30 seconds.

Archived