Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Restoring server from snapshot (XVA)

IT Helpdesk1709159240

Question

Hello,

I have a Xenserver Hypervisor on version 6.5. I need to create a server image that can be restored should a disaster happen. 

I'm aware that exporting a server typically requires the server to be offline. However I found that I can take a snapshot then export the snapshot and it will be the same file size that a server image backup would be. If the original VM were to be lost for whatever reason, is it possible to take this XVA file of a snapshot that I exported to file, and create a new VM based only on that?

Thank you

8 answers to this question

@freightcenter, yes, you should be okay. If backup/restoring active directory that can get weird too just so you know, but 

most other servers then will be just fine with a snapshot. If a server can recover itself pretty good with a power outage,

its about the same thing. 

@Robert xenprovider is a batch file you use to tie Microsoft's quiescing ability back to XenServer. As tobias states command 

line you use a slightly different command, in XenCenter you have a checkbox for quiesce. It has nothing to do with VMWare,

just everything to do with Microsoft OS asking applications to nicely enter a clean state before the snapshot proceeds.

--Alan--

• Like 1

Absolutely. Keep in mind unless you install the XenProvider (its in the install directory called install-XenProvider.cmd), 

your snapshots won't be quiesced, so I wouldn't trust a snapshot for databases without it. This is just for the Windows

world, Linux should be fine. Not sure about Linux Databases, I don't have any.

--Alan--

@Alan, i am very interested here as quiescing is a recurring problem with backups.   Would you please elaborate on the following. XenProvider?  Is XenProvider if the export was imported into vmWare?

35 minutes ago, Alan Lantz said:

Keep in mind unless you install the XenProvider (its in the install directory called install-XenProvider.cmd), 

your snapshots won't be quiesced, so I wouldn't trust a snapshot for databases without it.

The only catch with databases is making sure things are quiesced with databases. The NAUbackup option doesn't currently handle specific snapshot with quiesce operations.
XenOrchestra and various commercial backup solutions can do this.

Run from the CLI, you'd just use "xe vm-snapshot-with-quiesce" instead of "xe vm-snapshot" and of course, that VM has to support quiesced snapshot operations.

I could consider building it into NAUbackup at some point, given enough spare time.

For VMs without DBs, we use a standard snapshot, which seems to work fine for both Windows and Linux VMs.

-=Tobias