Updated Privacy Statement

Citrix Workspace performance on MacOS 10.14

Walter Hopgood

Question

Was finally forced to upgrade to Citrix Workspace a few days ago.  Ever since then, performance is HORRIFIC.  I can open a Cerner application, then immediately get the "spinning beach ball".  Click search, wait for beach ball.  Enter first term, wait for beach ball.  Enter second term, wait for beach ball.  Click search.  Wait for beachball.

Have NOT had this issue in the past at all.  At this point it's going to take me five times as long to do my job because Citrix is causing horrible performance issues.

Edit: I found Citrix Receiver 12.9.1 downloads, uninstalled Workspace, and installed Receiver, and no performance issues.  So it's not me, my network connection, or my computer.  It's Workspace.

Edited by walterhpdx
Updating with Receiver information

17 hours ago, Ben Wedlake said:

I'm seeing the exact same thing (well, except my Mac starts killing applications around 58GB)

It seems to occur when I leave the Workspace window alone for a while, and it occurs very suddenly - the computer goes from perfectly fine to a complete stand still in seconds.

Makes me wonder if the reported amount of memory is even real or is workspace somehow "fooling" MacOS here as everything is happening so fast?

On 10/11/2018 at 5:00 AM, Tejus Adiga M said:

Can you try out setting a configuration on Mac. Type the following command on Terminal app of mac and press enter.

defaults write com.citrix.receiver.nomas PreferMetalRendering -bool NO

Then Launch the session again.

Tejus

We are also experiencing constant freezing on MAC Mojave. Is there already an open SR # for this with Citrix support? I called and they are acting like this is the first time they heard of this issue. The SR # that i created is 78694732.

1901 seems to be much better.  One anomaly to watch for.  Whenever there is a popup box in Outlook you can't pick with the mouse while that popup is there.  For example, when selecting the X to delete an email, if the popup "Click to delete the item" show up it is too late to be able to select the X.

Dear Tejus,

I have installed the latest version: Version: 19.1.0.8 (1901) but the issue with the initial screen being stuck (grey) remained, I have had to use your suggestion in Terminal to add the command:

To be able to access the desktop, the only thing is that the screen is blurry, text in the applications seems to be a bit off, would you know how to resolve this? Thanks in advance!

I'm experiencing the same issue on Mojave on a Mac Pro 2013 with the D700 graphics chipset, even with the latest 19.3.1.25 version of Citrix Workspace:

- Extremely slow screen refresh

- Non-Responsive remote Applications

- Extremely delayed keypress and mouse response

- connection crashed / disconnects

These issues haven't been there with the 12.x versions on my machine.

The terminal command mentioned above didn't change anything

Still no resolution to this problem - have the latest upgrade to Citrix Workspace - added the terminal command.

System crashes 100% of time after connecting to Kaiser Permanente VPN to access EMR.

This is a problem with the Citrix software & Mojave.

My old laptop is running High Sierra with the latest version of Citrix Workspace & works fine.

When will this issue be resolved?

You still haven't solved this problem & Apple is set to release a new version of its software in the fall - it's not like Mojave just came out

I recalled our IT department & got someone who had a different solution: I was logging onto the hospital system through a VPN -then working my way through to the log-in & the system crashed.

Apparently you now directly access a web page log-in without using the VPN.

When you log-in on that site & open the patient records Citrix Workspace then launches & it, in fact, does not crash under Mojave.

Thanks for your response - I guess I wish all of our IT people were equally knowledgeable

@TejusAdigaM It appears that you're either a support person or developer for this product. I am also a software engineer and I work for a large government agency....and what I can't figure out is how this product (which i believe is widely used) has had issues on and off for YEARS. I've been forced to use Citrix Receiver and Citrix Workspace for years and it's ALWAYS unstable (at best) on a MacBook. Most recently, I've tried all of the suggestions in this long and winding thread and I'm still experiencing the beach ball of death. My activity monitor shows citrix viewer consuming 160% of CPU. I mean, how could this type of behavior get past your testers? Do you do testing? 

How is it that this product never works for any consistent amount of time. It's amazing. I'm running 19.6.0.32 (1906) on MacOS Mojave 10.14.5.

When is the next release due out? Will it solve these issues once and for all? Is there any way to get in touch with somebody at a higher level at Citrix to force your team to put a more concerted effort to make this product more stable? 

Seriously, this is sad.

We use Citrix across hundreds of organizations and have been for close to a decade.   Mojave on MAC was a serious break for Workspace and the graphical changes Apple made in Mojave were no doubt a compatibility challenge.  Mojave was indeed a painful point in time but we are finding 1906 to be very stable at this point and we have not hesitated to deploy it broadly.   Not sure what might be different in your setting but we obviously do not have the same setup.

On 10/11/2018 at 6:00 AM, Tejus Adiga M said:

Can you try out setting a configuration on Mac. Type the following command on Terminal app of mac and press enter.

Then Launch the session again.

Tejus

Hello Tejas! Can you please explain what this command does?