Welcome to our new Citrix community!

No Startmenu Applications after logon

Robert Madrian

Question

Hello,

After logon the start menu is not populated with my defined apps in WEM and one app (Chrome) which is pinned to taskbar is there twice (see Picture)
after a refresh or start Chrome from the tasklist all are are there and the Chrome shortcut is only there one time...

here are the warnings/Errors from wem log:

VuemApplicationExecutor.DisableHotkeyIfAny()
This operation was returned because of timeout. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800705B4)

ObjectsCleanupController.TryCleanEmptyDirectories()
Access to the path "C: \Users\xdtest01\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" was denied.

MainController.CleanOrphanedStartMenuDirectories()
Some Orphaned Start Menu Shortcuts Directories may not have been cleaned correctly. Check Debug Log for more Informations

robert

Startmenu.JPG

11 answers to this question

Do you mean the Folder redirection of the Startmenu - no, I have not set this...

(what do you mean with force it back local?)

For me the WEM application Settings are not working as it should - I have set "Delete Start Menu shortcuts" but sometimes the

OneDrive Icon is there and sometimes not (see Picture) - if the Icon is there (I have removed OneDrive from Software!!) and I click

refresh in WEM the Icon is gone...

My Problem now is that I dont realy understand some Settings (especially Start menu Settings and cleanup Settings) - I cannot find a detailed
description/help of WEM - do I miss something?

Now I have another weird behaviour - I use Startlayout in GPO to assign a Layout with tiles for new profiles - if I use it without WEM aktive it works as expected  but if I activate WEM some tiles are moving to another place or are complete lost (see Picture) -  for now WEM is complete unusefull for the GUI configuartion especially the Startmenu - what I'm missing? (I use XenDesktop 7.15 CU2 + PVS 7.15)

it Looks like the same Problem here: https://discussions.citrix.com/topic/389379-wem-hangs-at-processing-applications-each-time-a-user-logs-into-the-vda-for-the-first-time/ but there is no solution :-(

robert

Clean.JPG

Startmenu.JPG

Startmenu_Tiles.JPG

Hi James,

I have read all of your Posts in Detail and have done different configurations - Rediect Cache on D: (I use PVS and not) - on startup I stop/start the Norskale Service and Refresh the cache...

As in my last post it seem that there is also a Problem with localized windows version see: https://discussions.citrix.com/topic/398853-weird-start-menu-behavior 

In the blog https://www.mycugc.org/blog/wem-advanced-guidance---part-3 I can read "I have instances where "hide common programs" kills the start menu in some environments and not others" - the biggest problem for me is that first there is no clear Documentation about all the seetings and there effects to Windows 7 or Windows 10 and it seems that there are many bugs inside- because it is not always sure what the settings does and on some reboots the Start Menu and the tiles are changed or empty!

robert

Hello,

It seems that I have solved that Problems - after upgrading to Citrix UPM 1808 it works now with the start menu - if I set "Delete Start Menu Shortcuts" all Errors in the WEM Agent logs are gone :-)

Now I can also set "Process Environment Settings" without a Problem - all works as expected _ seems there is a Problem with WEM 4.7 anf UPM 7.15...

robert

Your point about the relevance of settings per OS is a valid one, it's been raised around the place a few times - the challenge is windows changes the way it handles certain settings so frequently that I don't think anyone knows exactly what is what at the moment 

I tend to keep a lot of environmental configurations in GPO unless the environments are simple - one throat to choke. WEM cranks for things like GPP though 

Very odd about the upm and wem 4.7 compatibility. There should be no link between the two 

Fact is that since UPM 1808 it worls, maybe there is a bug in the previous version which causes this Problems

about WEM and GPP - we have a lot of Printer GPP because we cannot use Network Printers we have to add TCP/IP Printers and this costs a lot of time - is there a possibility to move them to WEM?
( I think WEM doesn'T support adding TCP/IP Printers

robert

myriad of ways to script it - depending if you want powershell, batch, vbs etc - choose your poison...

There is no best practice on this one, the important thing is getting the mapping delay out of the logon process - so external tasks are a good option as they process last of all (configure them to run silently)