Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Excel 2013 slow calculations

Martijn Kools

Question

So a user is on a relative old laptop doing Excel calculations, it's very fast. Now he logs on to XenDesktop and the same calculation takes forever. 

The XenDesktop is Windows 10 LTSB 1607 with XD 7.18. I gave it 4 vCPUs, 16 GB RAM next I gave it a GPU and tried with Hardware Acceleration in Office on and off, but nothing seems to make any difference.

How can I make it faster?

3 answers to this question

Is it Excel 2013 on the laptop as well? For us there was a noticeable performance difference in some functions from Office 2010 to 2013.

Are they both accessing the same file from a network share? (not one local/one network based)

Office isn't really multi threaded so the core speed may come into play here rather then the number of cores. If its a 3Ghz CPU in the laptop and 2.2Ghz on the server you may get a performance hit. (obviously that is simplistic due to differing architectures)

You can try disable office animations in Excel 2013.

To try and rule something out as stupid as it sounds. Stop the print spooler service temporarily and re-time the calculation.

Review your antivirus configuration.

• Like 1
On 9/27/2018 at 11:21 PM, Martijn Kools said:

So a user is on a relative old laptop doing Excel calculations, it's very fast. Now he logs on to XenDesktop and the same calculation takes forever. 

The XenDesktop is Windows 10 LTSB 1607 with XD 7.18. I gave it 4 vCPUs, 16 GB RAM next I gave it a GPU and tried with Hardware Acceleration in Office on and off, but nothing seems to make any difference.

How can I make it faster?

Any luck getting better performance on this. We are seeing similar results on excel 2016 and win 10 1803.