Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Servers freezing since Xentools update

Martijn Kools

Question

So I've been preparing a new vdisk and updated to the latest XenTools from here which I usually do:  http://downloadns.citrix.com.edgesuite.net/14244/managementagentx64.msi (7.1.0.1270).

Built the vdisk from scratch like always and put it in Acceptance environment for users to test. Immediatley users started to complain about freezing ICA sessions. I logged on to the server and indeed, the server freezes for 10 - 15 seconds every minute or so. The console in XenServer freezes as well.

Windows Eventlog is telling me the following:

svchost (2748) A request to write to the file "C:\windows\system32\LogFiles\Sum\Svc.log" at offset 139264 (0x0000000000022000) for 4096 (0x00001000) bytes succeeded, but took an abnormally long time (22 seconds) to be serviced by the OS. This problem is likely due to faulty hardware. Please contact your hardware vendor for further assistance diagnosing the problem.

When i checked PVS, I've noticed a lot of retries, usually we have 0 - 2 retries but both servers running the image were already up to about 100. At one point when more users dropped from the server and logged off the retries stopped and performance became normal again.

My config:

- XenServer 7.4 with PVS accelerator active.

- PVS 7.18 (7.15 CU2 on the client)

- VDA 7.15 LTSR CU2

- Windows Server 2016.

I will downgrade to the previous version for now and test again. Just wanted to know if this is a known issue or maybe we have some other problem. Other servers running on the same Xen host with the previous version don't have any issues though so I figured it must be driver related.

10 answers to this question

Definitely sounds like 7.1.0.1270 has introduced a problem for you. So far I have only used it on conventional server VM's

and haven't tried it with my PVS environment yet. If I get a chance I will test that today, but my environment is quite 

different from yours so it may not prove anything other than the new version will work with an older PVS.

--Alan--

2 minutes ago, Alan Lantz said:

Definitely sounds like 7.1.0.1270 has introduced a problem for you. So far I have only used it on conventional server VM's

and haven't tried it with my PVS environment yet. If I get a chance I will test that today, but my environment is quite 

different from yours so it may not prove anything other than the new version will work with an older PVS.

--Alan--

Yes I use it on a few other VMs as well, no issues there. It seems PVS related but only if the server is on higher load.

We have the same issue and Citrix Support replied this:

We are aware of the issue with pvs with network retries  ,the issue has been resolved in latest xentools .

1.Download the updates.latest.tsv file from https://pvupdates.vmd.citrix.com/updates.latest.tsv.
2.Download the Management Agent MSI files referenced in the updates.latest.tsv file which will contain latest windows xentools.

PVS VM would require reverse imaging .

I can confirm 1327 runs ok, we've been running production on it for few weeks now without any issues.

Also I would highly recommend to built your vdisk from scratch (scripted) with every major change like drivers or VDA version upgrade. It made my life a whole lot easier and the system a lot faster and more stable.

Archived