Start Menu Shows Blank Icons on VDA 7.15 LTSR CU2 with UPM Enabled

Andy White1709154166

Question

Hello,

So I'm testing upgrading our 7.6 VDA agent on a Windows 2012R2 VDA which we use for a published desktop to 7.15 LTSR CU2 and I'm hit with a blank start menu, I;ve followed this URL to run a reg key on login for the user which it didn't work, and wondered if anyone has fix ed this issue?  We use UPM.

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX234144?recommended

What we see:

image.thumb.png.01d01ee193cd7fba716c105a16ead6ce.png

If I search for an app and attempt to pin or unpin it populates

image.thumb.png.14ee79b6b1101b9dcbf3901d12882d35.png

Like this

image.thumb.png.e71b164158bf2adb0f820f4838c90166.png

Then all is good for the session.  If the user logs off and back we get the same issue.  This is what I tried, but still no luck.

Workaround 2

This is what I added based on the URL without success, adding a reg key to reset the cache, doesn't work, but have I don it correctly in your opinion?.

image.thumb.png.75ce5876ac79498fb91b34aa08af3c7f.png

Workaround 1

I also tried Configure the policy "Directories to synchronize" and add the folder "AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Caches".  HOwever a short time after we had reports some published apps were not loading, as soon as I removed this GPO they were ok.

image.png

After applying Workaround 2 (GPO against the VDAs) I get this if I log on to the VDA itself using remote desktop not via Receiver:

image.thumb.png.bde868acb942a579966936df6a3049cf.png

If I use Receiver, I get a grey screen and nothing else:

image.thumb.png.07aa823a9db10ddc80fb2f4a6e2c593b.png

Edited by g0nz0uk
Update and extra screenshots

11 answers to this question

Running out of ideas on this blank start menu issue.

I've tried:

1. To configure the policy "Directories to synchronize" and add the folder "AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Caches".  Looking at the GPO it seems all current file/folder inclusions or exclusions  are under a Computer>Policy not User.
  2. Tried a GPO to add a regkey called "ResetCache" as a Dword and decimal value as 1.

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell\StateStore\ 
DWORD: ResetCache 
Value: 1

image.thumb.png.3175d1e3fde58bc9f259cdf39f9aa088.png

3.  Tried the private fix to replace the UserProfileManager.exe on the VDA (LC9648).

If I turn off the Citrix Profile Management Service and log in, all it fine, but I get a default desktop and start menu.

Any ideas?

On 8/19/2019 at 9:44 PM, Thomas Dooley1709157758 said:

Hey g0nz0uk,

Did you get this fixed at all? we are seeing the same going from 7.15 (release version) to 7.15 CU4 at the moment.....

Thanks 

I am having the same issue with 7.15 ltsr CU4 which I just upgraded to from 7.11 yesterday. Is there a fix for the Start menu desktop background not showing any pinned apps? Anyone? thanks

On 10/21/2019 at 3:54 AM, Bruce McDonald said:

I am having the same issue with 7.15 ltsr CU4 which I just upgraded to from 7.11 yesterday. Is there a fix for the Start menu desktop background not showing any pinned apps? Anyone? thanks

We tried a few fixes but had to roll back in the end unfortunately....didn't get a chance to raise it to Citrix support either. 

10 hours ago, Thomas Dooley1709157758 said:

We tried a few fixes but had to roll back in the end unfortunately....didn't get a chance to raise it to Citrix support either. 

Hi tom163, did you try running the vda cleanup utility to completely remove the upgraded vda and upm and then reinstall vda fresh? I logged a case with Citrix support and this was their recommendation and it has worked on 7.15 ltsr cu4. Thanks

20 hours ago, Bruce McDonald said:

Hi tom163, did you try running the vda cleanup utility to completely remove the upgraded vda and upm and then reinstall vda fresh? I logged a case with Citrix support and this was their recommendation and it has worked on 7.15 ltsr cu4. Thanks

Hey,

We didn't no, I believe they were all upgrades from 7.15 (release version). Thank you for the heads up when we attempt this again we will use the cleanup first!