Welcome to our new Citrix community!

What makes Maintenance mode trigger

Derli Junior

Question

Sorry I can't make this more clearly... but basically What I'm trying to do is monitor through a monitoring tool (Nagios) wheather a service entered a maintenance mode or not.

I've uploaded a picture of what I want to monitor... Notice that Server-b is now set as under maintenance, so new users won't log into this server for the period, all 3 other servers will accept new connections... I want to know what makes Server-B different from all others so I can set something up in order for Nagios to understand and alert me if need be.

Then Nagios will capture this server state and show if the service is in maintenance mode.

XenApp_Servers.png

15 answers to this question

15 hours ago, Tobias Kreidl said:

Look for the parameter "enabled":

enabled=true => running

enabled=false => not running (maintenance mode or shut down)

You can also check the parameter "host-metrics-live" which turns to false if the machine is not running.

-=Tobias

Is that a config file on the xenApp servers? If so, where do I find it?

By "service" do you mean if the XenServer host is up and running and available to run VMs on it, or what exactly? That's what the "enabled" and "MAINTENANCE_MODE" tokens tell you.

You should be able to do an SNMP query to get that info via Nagios. Might be trickier to get access to those parameters.

-=Tobias

16 hours ago, Alan Lantz said:

No, not that I'm aware of.  Maybe with some scripting and NPRE ?

--Alan--

That sounds interesting... I would like to go with NPRE and some scripting maybe with powershell?!

Suppose I have this scenario:

One frontEnd server named citrixFS01 and 2 xenApp Servers named citrix-XA01 and citrix-XA02.

Let's say I take one of the xenApp servers off and set it under maintenance... What differentiates one from the other? What's the one thing I can notice under service on windows or anywhere else that I can monitor

17 hours ago, Tobias Kreidl said:

By "service" do you mean if the XenServer host is up and running and available to run VMs on it, or what exactly? That's what the "enabled" and "MAINTENANCE_MODE" tokens tell you.

You should be able to do an SNMP query to get that info via Nagios. Might be trickier to get access to those parameters.

-=Tobias

When I said Service, I meant the service management window on Windows... If a service is up, I might be able to monitor that.

@Derli Junior Yes you can do this with a Powershell script.
If you establish an SSH session to your xenserver and use the XE command to retrieve the proper information of all of your VM's. You can store that information into a variable and do whatever you like with it. Using this method you can retrieve any type of information from your xenserver that is available on the host.
You can also query your poolmaster to get some details. However this might be a SPOF in a monitoring setup.
I would personally just get the info from each server.

Sorry to revive this --

Some of my user VMs go into maintenance mode seemingly random. 

When this happens, i want to know so that i can take it out of maintenance mode and likely reboot it.

Is there a Windows Event on the endpoint or the delivery controller that occurs so i can syslog it?  

Earlier in this thread, the word "parameter" was thrown around. Are you referring to the 'parameter' in Citrix Studio, or XenServer, or some other place?  These particular VMs I am dealing with are running in VMWare and not XenServer.  I am hoping to find a solution to monitor Maintenance Mode changes without having to run a script on the delivery controller, output that to a file or something, and then read that with a monitoring solution.

Thanks everyone

Archived