Revit 15 

Revit 16

Revit 17

Revit 18

Infraworks 2018

3DS Max 2018

AutoCAD 2017

AutoCAD 2018

When I take one of these app layers (say AutoCAD 2017), create a template and publish it out the installed AutoDesk application runs just fine. 

When I create  a template with all of the AutoDesk app layers combined and publish it I get the below error:

"The License manager is not functioning or is improperly installed. AutoCAD will shut down now."

or if I run any of the Revit apps:

"License System Error 1"

I have confirmed that the FlexNet Licensing service is set to automatic and started.

Ran apps as Administrator

I reviewed the AutoDesk licensing data files and they look good. I confirmed that all the network licenses had a LICPATH.lic file that was configured with our licensing server.

I even compared the licensing data files against our current prod image which isn't layered and has the exact same AutoDesk apps installed and they data files match up exactly. 

I have already worked from https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/AutoCAD-2017-fails-to-launch-after-install.html

with our applications manager who is opening a ticket with AutoDesk on this but I wanted to post in here to see if anyone has had any issues with publishing image that contain multiple AutoDesk app layers. 

We have other layered images using the above mentioned AutoDesk app layers in prod but they are only utilizing one AutoDesk app layer. 

The next option is to start with a template that contains one single AutoDesk app layer and start adding additional AutoDesk app layers to it after publishing/testing but that is super time consuming and I would prefer to avoid that (if I can).

autcad error.png

revit license error.png

5 answers to this question

You know, I did an internal presentation of this exact scenario to illustrate file collisions in multiple layers, and I somehow failed to make a KB out of it.  Or if I did, I sure can't find it now.  Let me basically paste the salient excerpt.

You absolutely can install different AutoDesk packages independently – AutoCAD, TrueView, RevIt – and they will function independently.  The problem is that FlexLM, their network license manager uses a single file to determine what components are installed and need to have a license checked out.  That single file is C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Adlm\pit-2010\ProductInformation.pit, and each of those programs appends its information to it.

So if I create three separate layers for AutoCAD, RevIt and TrueView, each will have a copy of ProductInformation.pit that contains a listing for only that program.  In the published image, whichever package was created last is the only one that will be licensed.  In order to be able to have all three on the same published image, you need to include them in the same layer together, so that ProductInformation.pit will include the licensing information for all three products.

That specific example suggests another possible solution to a layer conflict, if you happen to know what file is having a problem.  Some customers have installed every single AutoDesk package together in order to get a ProductInformation.pit with all packages installed.  Then, whenever they create a new App Layer for any AutoDesk package, they manually overwrite C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Adlm\pit-2010\ProductInformation.pit with the version of the file that has everything.  No matter what combination of layers you include, and no matter what priority order they show up in, they all provide this license file, which allows all of the included packages to operate.

This only works, though, because FlexLM is fine if you provide licensing information for products that are not actually installed.  And it also only works because the packages do not otherwise conflict.  And, of course, it only works because you know what file to save.

So make a temporary layer with every component in it, and capture the PIT file from that.  Then version (or recreate) each of the separate layers and include the full PIT file.  Or version just the platform layer and put the PIT file there.  The PIT file doesn't have to actually be in an Autodesk layer, it just has to be in the last layer to get played into the image.  And the Platform Layer is always the last layer to get played in.  If you use that platform layer in an image that has no Autodesk software at all, then it's just another random text file Windows will ignore.

Now, the error you're getting kind of sounds different from the solution I'm suggesting, but I'd go with that in parallel, and if it doesn't help, see if Autodesk can tell you what else is getting squashed, and maybe the same workaround could apply.

And I'll try to remember to put this in a KB article.

• Like 4

That is super helpful!!! Just as a quick test - I grabbed the .PIT file from the existing prod image that this app layered image will be replacing (the AutoDesk apps match up exactly) and pasted it into the app layered image, started launching the apps and so far they all launch with no issue. This will be fine for now but I will need to figure out a better long term option for when we start upgrading to 2019 products and remove some of the older products.

Having them all in the same app layer together isn't ideal for us we have 5 different images that use single or multiple instances of AutoDesk products and our aim is to go 100% App Layered with all of our images. I suppose we could spin up a standalone VM that we use just purely for the creation of the PIT file where all the prod versions/instances of each AutoDesk application is installed.

Curious to see what AutoDesk say on this matter. 

Thanks very much!! 

This works for 2020 products. Not sure on 2021 products. I have heard from our apps manager that AutoDesk are looking to change their licensing model though where they will have users sign into a client to get their apps like users do with Adobe Creative Cloud or Bentley Connection Client and I thought I heard mention of this happening for 2021.