Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Recent files empty in File Explorer

Jan Bonne Eringa

Question

Within the published application File Explorer, Recent files do not show up in Quick access. Therefor I think documents (especially PDF files) can't be found, within the Recent file when attaching a file.

Does anyone have an idea why the Recent files list won't fill and\or recent (PDF) files won't show up in the Recent items list when attaching a file in an e-mail message.

This looks like two questions in one topic, but I think one issue has to do with the other...

Our environment is XenApp 7.15 LTSR on Windows Server 2016

5 answers to this question

No, there isn't a GPO in place that is preventing from retaining history.

We do use Citrix User Profile Management, but I have added AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent in the Directories to synchronize list.

For the user the folders AutomaticDestinations and CustomDestinations are created in AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent and filled with ms-files, but no .lnk files for the opened documents. These folders are copied to the central profile store when the user logs off.

When I as administrator log in to the server and open some Word\PDF files, they show up in the Recent files list, but I had to enable Show recently opened items in jump lists on start or the taskbar within Settings. This sets SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_TrackDocs:0x00000001, but when I set this registry key for the users, it has no effect.

• Like 1

Couple possibilities come to mind, do you have a GPO set someplace that might be preventing file explorer from retaining history? Are you using any profile management solution that might be tuned to ignore the contents of the directories storing that info on logoff? Specifically, this would be in %appdata%\microsoft\windows\Recent I believe. I haven't seen this issue myself with the same product versions.

I am doing some more testing and when copying the shortcut files (.lnk-files) from the administrator to an another user accounts Recent folder, the files show up in the Recent files list in Quick access and I can select those files from Recent items when attaching a file to an e-mail message.

It looks like the .lnk files are not created, and if someone has any idea why the lnk-files aren't created in the Recent folder I am happy to hear from you :10_wink:

I was experiencing this same issue with Server 2016. In my situation I was using redirected folders and Citrix profile management to handle profiles. I redirected APPDATA, but I found that  %appdata%\microsoft\windows\Recent did not redirect to the home drive. The fix was to manually change the Recent Shell Folder to the redirected path. For me it was P:\AppData\Microsoft\Windows\Recent. Change "P" to your redirected home drive path.  To apply this to all users I used a registry GPO.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

Recent  REG_EXPAND_SZ  P:\AppData\Microsoft\Windows\Recent.

This solution allowed me to see recent pdf's in Outlook.