Welcome to our new Citrix community!

XenServer 7.1 cannot mount CIFS SR

Bill Artemik

Question

We have a XenServer 7.1 running and need to create a storage repository so we can create server VM's. However, when we try to create a CIFS SR we get an error: Unable to mount the directory specified in the device configuration request". 

We are managing another XenServer (6.2) on the same XenCenter console and we can mount this very same SR without issue. This is DEFINITELY related to just the XenServer 7.1 installation. Note it's installed on a HP DL380p G8 server. XC is 7.2.

How can I figure out how to mount this SR so we can create VM's?

15 answers to this question

Could be some sort of permission or ACL on whatever NAS is providing the smb share.

perhaps /var/log/messages or /var/log/SMlog can shed some light on the exact reason.

Do you get an error message in XenServer ? Can you for sure ping your SMB server ?

--Alan--

I think you're missing something here...

We have XenCenter 7.2 loaded. We are connected to TWO XS hosts in this same XC. One is running XS 6.20, the other is running 7.1.  We can create the SR on the 6.20 host. We cannot connect the SR on the 7.1 host! We are using the SAME credentials on both SR's. 6.20 connects without an issue. 7.1 chokes. I can ping from the XS 7.1 to the SR host, I can ping the XS 7.1 host from the SR host. I am using IP addresses to avoid DNS issues. It's pretty straight forward.

I have not tried to look at logs on the Xs 7.1 host yet. I'm not really that comfortable with Linux and the CLI (I can follow directions, of course but I don't know Linux like I know Windows).

What type of device is providing your SMB share? I honestly had trouble with SMB as well and switched

all of my ISO's over to NFS. 

As far as I know a free version should still be able to use the CIFS ISO library without a license, that just

specifically applied to having CIFS SR's for vdi storage.

--Alan--

Currently I am using my desktop PC to host the ISO share. It's a Windows 10 Pro machine. It has always worked fine for earlier versions of XenServer.

Is there a way I can copy the .ISO file to the XenServer host, somehow, and just run my installer from there, then delete the file? I cannot burn the ISO to a DVD because it needs a dual layer disk (6GB ISO) and I only have single layer disks. And the file is too big for a FAT32 thumb drive. Ugh. Frustrating!

All I really need to accomplish tonight is getting this VM installed.

It's a Windows 10 Pro machine. I used the second line you posted. I get an error 115. There is a reference to the mount.cifs(8) manual page. 

I suspect PART of the problem is the username. It needs to be Dom\User but I don't know how to present that. I tried Dom\Username but it concatenated that to DomUsername. Then I tried without the domain, just Username and still got the same 115 error message. :-(

It really never used to be this tough!

First, let me thank all of you who chimed in to help!

Solution found! I was able to ping the XS host from my PC (and future SR). I was able to attach XS1 (6.20) to this PC's SR (\\<IP>\ISO-Store). I was using the EXACT SAME info on host XS2. Except XS2 is on a different subnet (I have 2 NIC's in this PC). I was trying to use NIC 1 IP address when the XS2 host is on the NIC 2 IP address! When I tried to ping the NIC 1 IP address I was trying to use, from the XS2 host the pings failed...that's when the DUH light came on. XS2 is on a different subnet! When I ran a ping to the NIC2 address it succeeded. Then I came back to the PC and on XC I created a SR using NIC2's IP address and BOOM! It succeeded. We're off and running, now!

Thanks again, guys! Even though it was all my dumb fault (it's late and my brain is NOT at 90%) I appreciated your help in troubleshooting this issue! It's nice to not be alone with searching these issues. You were great.

1) i have Xenserver 7.1

2). I have 3 Windows 10 Pro n 3 Server 2012 R2.

3) All in same subnet,  i can mount SR from all server 2012 but not from any of  Win -10.

i created dir ISO under /root and made it a repository.  I used winscp to move iso file to this new local SR.

win10 pro still doesn’t work