Jump to content
Welcome to our new Citrix community!
  • 0

Faulting application name: ShellExperienceHost.exe - Start Menu Breaks


andrew webber1709153696

Question

Hoping someone has seen this within AL. I have created an OS Layer based on Windows Server 2016 and have over the last couple of weeks been creating application layers etc. Bar some quirks here and there all seems to have been going ok. I went to update one of the application layers yesterday by simply adding a script to the build. I used BIS-F to seal the layer and finalised the image via the shutdown command as per normal.

 

When deploying the new template the Start Menu is broken and I see the Events 1000 and 5973:-

Event ID 5973

Activation of app Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy!CortanaUI failed with error: The app didn't start. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.

Event ID 1000

Faulting application name: SearchUI.exe, version: 10.0.14393.2339, time stamp: 0x5b1f177e

Faulting module name: SearchUI.exe, version: 10.0.14393.2339, time stamp: 0x5b1f177e

Exception code: 0xc000027b

Fault offset: 0x00000000001756c7

 

and

 

Faulting application name: ShellExperienceHost.exe, version: 10.0.14393.2339, time stamp: 0x5b1f1748

Faulting module name: ShellExperienceHost.exe, version: 10.0.14393.2339, time stamp: 0x5b1f1748

 

I went back to the previous app layer version and all worked fine. Any idea why this has happened? All I had done was copied a script file to a folder on the layer.

 

I have done the simple update a couple of times now to make sure I hadn't done something quite right, but every time the Start Menu breaks and those errors are logged.

 

Any help would be appreciated :)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment

6 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

If you create a completely new layer that contains the same data and finalize that, does it work?  It's worth understanding if this is something about adding the additional version to an existing layer, or an actual problem with the content of the new version.  I suspect it's a problem only with Add Version. 

 

In 4.12, we have a fix coming for registry permissions getting lost on the second or third (or later - it depends on the specific set of registry operations that happen) revision of a layer.  So any time I see "stuff breaks only on my second or third revision", I think it might be this bug.  So when you get prompted that 4.12 exists early next week, download and install it.  Then start from revision 1 again.  The nature of the bug is that revision 1 is fine, the damage actually happens in some revision N (usually 2), but you might not actually see it until revision N+1 (usually 3).  So you have to roll back to the last good revision and start from there, or just recreate any layers that you identify that have this problem.

Link to comment
2 hours ago, Gunther Anderson said:

If you create a completely new layer that contains the same data and finalize that, does it work?  It's worth understanding if this is something about adding the additional version to an existing layer, or an actual problem with the content of the new version.  I suspect it's a problem only with Add Version. 

 

In 4.12, we have a fix coming for registry permissions getting lost on the second or third (or later - it depends on the specific set of registry operations that happen) revision of a layer.  So any time I see "stuff breaks only on my second or third revision", I think it might be this bug.  So when you get prompted that 4.12 exists early next week, download and install it.  Then start from revision 1 again.  The nature of the bug is that revision 1 is fine, the damage actually happens in some revision N (usually 2), but you might not actually see it until revision N+1 (usually 3).  So you have to roll back to the last good revision and start from there, or just recreate any layers that you identify that have this problem.

It was in fact in my 4th version. I went right back to the 2nd version and did the same change and the issue did not appear at all. I will look to update to 4.12, but not sure that is listed as compatible with XenApp 7.15 CU2. We are using 4.10 as this is the version listed with that CU release.

 

Thanks again for taking the time to reply :)

Link to comment

Looks like I am having a very similar issue.  Have performed an upgrade from AppLayering 4.9 to 4.12 to try and resolve but if a new version is added to any layer it still breaks the Start Menu (in Server 2016) although I am not seeing the error you did in the logs.  Went through the layer recreation process after last upgrading to v4.9 (to get around the "it stops processing reg changes in new layers if there are too many of them" bug) and client is likely to abandon AppLayering completely at this point rather than go through any more repeat work recreating app layers yet again.

Link to comment

Did find a fix as issue was due to conflict between bug in profile management and a bug in applayering. Answer we tested in lab was to upgrade from the ltsr 7.15 XA to latest, and completely rebuild from scratch any layers initially created prior to AL 4.10. But as this was the second bug to force a rebuild the customer abandoned Applayering as a viable option so went back to straight PVS images that had served them well up until now.

 

Interestingly in recent Win10 Insider builds MS has split the start menu from the taskbar/shellexperiencehost into it's own process to address stability issues with it all. Will be interesting to see what happen when that makes it into full release.

Link to comment

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...