Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Windows 10 1803 - HyperV -SCVMM 2016

Jonathan Puglia

Question

Hi,

I have installed a Windows 10 version 1803 with the last update from June. My infra Xendesktop is the version 7.15 CU2, the VDA is 7.15 CU2. The servers are on infrastructure hyper-V 2016 and SCVMM 2016.

When i create a new MCS catalog i have this error :

Task Information:
Start Date: jeudi, 5 juillet 2018
Start Time: 17:00
Finish Date: jeudi, 5 juillet 2018
Finish Time: 17:47
State: Failed
Master image: XDHyp:\HostingUnits\FHHVD05G VLAN 184\Windows 10 V1803.vm\Citrix_XD_1.snapshot
Requested machine count: 1
AD account action: Create accounts
Successful accounts: 0
Successful machines: 0

Terminating Error:
Image Preparation Finalization Failed
Stack Trace:
   at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.ProvisioningSchemeService.BackgroundTasks.ProvisioningSchemeTask.CheckForTerminatingError(SdkProvisioningSchemeAction sdkProvisioningSchemeAction)
   at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.ProvisioningSchemeService.BackgroundTasks.ProvisioningSchemeTask.WaitForProvisioningSchemeActionCompletion(Guid taskId, Action`1 actionResultsObtained)
   at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.ProvisioningSchemeService.BackgroundTasks.ProvisioningSchemeCreationTask.StartProvisioningAction()
   at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.ProvisioningSchemeService.BackgroundTasks.ProvisioningSchemeCreationTask.RunTask()
   at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.BackgroundTaskService.BackgroundTask.Task.Run()

DesktopStudio_ErrorId : ProvisioningTaskError
ErrorCategory : NotSpecified
ErrorID : ImagePreparationFinalizationFailed
TaskErrorInformation : Terminated
InternalErrorMessage : Image Preparation failed

Have you an idea ? With a Windows 10 1709 that's work fine

Thank's

10 answers to this question

I got it to work when disabling DHCP in machine creation before creating catalog... Or, for existing catalogs, do this. https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX217456. Hope it's same for you.

Here's the site setting for new catalogs...
Set-ProvServiceConfigurationData -Name ImageManagementPrep_Excluded_Steps -Value EnableDHCP

Edited by ahagman112
added info
  • Like 1

Did you try enabling the c:\image-prep.log in your master image - HKLM\Software\Citrix\MachineIdentityServiceAgent\LOGGING = DWORD 00000001

To see where the imageprep was failing

When catalog creation was failing for me (server 2019 on hyper-v/sccvm) it was because the 'Network Setup Service' was not terminating - after the pvsvmagent enabled DHCP

Simply stopping the network setup service manually via the hyper-v console caused the image preparation to complete

Am now using a powershell script to stop the netsetupsvc after 10 mins - you can download here - http://chawn.com/ImgPrepFail.htm

Hi, I just had the same issue with XenApp 1906.1.0 on Windows Server 2019 VMs running on Hyper-V with SCVMM 2016. The master image is also a Gen 2 VM. Updating the catalog did run in a timeout. During updating I recognized that the ...Preparation VM that ist temporarily created had no connection to a network. After manually connecting it to its home net, the catalog update was finished.

However, skipping the EnableDHCP-Task also solved the issue for me. Thus, there might be a bug in MCS preventing the Preparation VM to be connected to the network...

The Preparation VM is meant to be disconnected from the network - https://www.citrix.com/blogs/2016/04/04/machine-creation-service-image-preparation-overview-and-fault-finding/

How does MCS do Image preparation?

After the master image snapshot is selected, a copy is made, so that the catalog is isolated from the selected machine. A preparation virtual machine (VM) is created based on the original VM, but with the network disconnected, so it does not conflict with other machines and only attached to the newly copied disk.

There does appear to be a bug when Win2019 hosted on HyperV is prepared - the Network Setup Service, which runs during enabledhcp does not want to terminate

Skipping this step by disabling the task or killing the netsetup service manually appears to be the fix

It maybe that connecting the machine to the network 'bumped' the netsetup service

If you enable logging on your master image - HKLM\Software\Citrix\MachineIdentityServiceAgent\LOGGING = DWORD 00000001

You should see the following on a failed image prep

-------------------

Trying to stop NetSetupSvc
Waiting for NetSetupSvc to stop
Timeout waiting for NetSetupSvc to stop
The OS already restarted NetSetupSvc
Waiting for NetSetupSvc to stop after we started it

----------------------------

of course you have to retrieve the logfile before the prep machine is destroyed