Welcome to our new Citrix community!

A referral was returned from the server after upgrade to 7.15

giordano zanoli

Question

Hi All

I'm upgrading XenApp farm from CR 7.14 to 7.15 LTSR CU2.

The upgrade installation performed with VDAServerSetup_7_15_2000.exe completed successfully.

After the migration everything works fine but following messages appears after starting every published applications:

C:\Windows\system32\CtxMTHost.exe - A referral was returned from the server.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\system32\IcaImeUtil.exe -  A referral was returned from the server.

From user point of view it's very annoying.

Nothing was found on event viewer, do you have any idea on how to get rid of them?

Many thanks

8 answers to this question

Had the same issue on a 1912 VDA on Server 2016, for us the solution was to check the digital signature tab in the properties of each executable stated in the error messages, getting which CA was used to sign it and adding that CA to the "trusted root CA" system store.

The Signing CA recently changed to an intermediate "DigiCert SHA2 Assured ID Code Signing CA" and all the chain must be trusted.

Edited by Luca Aimone
typo
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, James Kindon said:

have you seen this post? Points to UAC and a registry setting to shut it up

https://discussions.citrix.com/topic/339886-error-message-appears-for-all-published-apps-please-help/

Hi James, thanks for the answer.

Yes, I already checked carefully that post but unfortunately it didn't help me because UAC is enabled by policy and turn it off is not an option.

I did also try to play with certificates and the publisher's certificate revocation but had same poor results.

What sounds strange to me is that nothing changes on policies or settings from 7.14.1 to 7.15 LTSR.

Was someone able to find other solutions?

Many thanks

On 2/11/2022 at 12:57 PM, Luca Aimone1709154902 said:

Had the same issue on a 1912 VDA on Server 2016, for us the solution was to check the digital signature tab in the properties of each executable stated in the error messages, getting which CA was used to sign it and adding that CA to the "trusted root CA" system store.

The Signing CA recently changed to an intermediate "DigiCert SHA2 Assured ID Code Signing CA" and all the chain must be trusted.

Thanks! I have the exact same scenario (1912 VDA based on a Win Server 2016 and I was able to fix the issue with your indications.