Welcome to our new Citrix community!

User Layer setup, I'm missing something

Martin Poirier

Question

I'm working on testing out the user layer and for some reason its not working.

I've created a storage location for it, gave the permissions necessary and added under Storage Locations.  I did enable User Layer in labs as well.  Upon logging into a desktop, I get the error that the desktop can't find the user layer.  Looking into the logs and its pointing to the default layer location, not the user layer location (its trying to use \\test-server\Unidesk4 which is the layer location and not \\test-server\Unidesk4User which is for the user layer.)  I have a feeling I missed something obvious, but have been staring at this too long.  I do notice the under the Mange Appliance tab, its not showing and item for the User layer service and its storage space.  Should it show there ?

7 answers to this question

There's no part of the System -> Manage Appliances tab that says "User Layer Service".  The line for Layering Service is telling you abut the space used in the 300GB disk attached to the ELM - the space for performing layering operations internal to the ELM.  So it won't have any information about your shares or user layers.

When you login, the system goes and reads storage locations from the JSON files that are always stored on the system file share.  If the user isn't allowed to read anything from the system file share, then they won't know to go look at the new storage location to create their User Layers.  And, for that matter, if they can't read those JSON files, they will never know they're supposed to have Elastic Layer assignments.

Let's lay this out in gory details.  If you missed something subtle, let's figure out all the subtle things you didn't miss.

So, you enabled user layers in System -> Settings and Configuration -> Labs, set the Elastic Layering Mode to Application Layering and set User Layer to Full in your Image Template, and published a new image with those settings.  And somewhere along the line, you wen to System -> Storage Locations, did an Add Storage Location, specifying your Unidesk4User share, and assigned it to some set of AD users and groups.  Is the user you're logging in part of the users/groups that you assigned to that User Layer?

In the ulayersvc.log (which you have, since you know what share we're looking at), it should tell you some of the decisions it made in the process of figuring out what to do with the User Layer.  There's no general guide to reading that log, but it's often human-readable.  Other than poring over that, I would suggest double-checking the JSON files in your Unidesk4 folder, and verify that Shares.json and ShareAssignments.json are there, and either make sense of their contents, or post them here, or open a case and we'll look at them plus the ulayersvc.log and see what might be happening.

1 hour ago, Gunther Anderson said:

So, you enabled user layers in System -> Settings and Configuration -> Labs, set the Elastic Layering Mode to Application Layering and set User Layer to Full in your Image Template, and published a new image with those settings.  And somewhere along the line, you wen to System -> Storage Locations, did an Add Storage Location, specifying your Unidesk4User share, and assigned it to some set of AD users and groups.  Is the user you're logging in part of the users/groups that you assigned to that User Layer?

Yes to all above.  AD group is created and my test account is a member.  When I Edit the User Layer storage location, it does show the correct AD group under the User Layer Assignments section.

1 hour ago, gunthera said:

In the ulayersvc.log (which you have, since you know what share we're looking at), it should tell you some of the decisions it made in the process of figuring out what to do with the User Layer.  There's no general guide to reading that log, but it's often human-readable.  Other than poring over that, I would suggest double-checking the JSON files in your Unidesk4 folder, and verify that Shares.json and ShareAssignments.json are there, and either make sense of their contents, or post them here, or open a case and we'll look at them plus the ulayersvc.log and see what might be happening.

Looking at the the Share.json it appears to point to the correct storage location :

"Shares": [
    {
      "Id": 655360,
      "Name": "Default Location",
      "Path": "\\\\test-server\\Unidesk4",
      "Priority": -2147483647,
      "IsDefault": true
    },
    {
      "Id": 2621440,
      "Name": "User Layer",
      "Path": "\\\\test-server\\unidesk4user",
      "Priority": -1,
      "IsDefault": false
    }

And the ShareAssigments.json shows the Name field as "Unidesk4_UserLayer_Test" which is the correct AD group i'm using.

The first reference in the log file I see for the UserLayerService is : 

UserLayerService: Searching for user layer for '<Domain>\<test account>' using pattern '\\test-server.<domain>\Unidesk4\Users\INTERNAL_<test account>\258000_*\test_account.vhd'

On 6/7/2018 at 7:22 PM, Gunther Anderson said:

Definitely open a case, get us the ulayersvc.log and the JSON files, and we'll look into it.

I have an issue with the user personalization layer in Citrix 1912 version. The layer is not getting mounted due to missing JSON files. The implementation articles does not mention anywhere how the files will be created. Event logs from the VDAs as below

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Citrix Layering Service
Date:          4/11/2020 12:11:33 PM
Event ID:      1310
Task Category: None
Level:         Information
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Description:
Could not find file \\****\CitrixUserData\UPL\SWIFTVDI\ShareAssignments.json

Date:          4/11/2020 12:11:33 PM
Description:
Could not find file \\****\CitrixUserData\UPL\SWIFTVDI\Shares.json

Date:          4/11/2020 12:11:34 PM
Level:         Warning
Description:
Unable to load the User Layer for user josephg during login, using temporary non-persistent user layer

Level:         Warning
Description:
Unable to load the User Layer for user josephg during login, using temporary non-persistent user layer

Description:
Could not find file \\****\CitrixUserData\UPL\SWIFTVDI\ElasticLayerAssignments.json

Description:
Could not find file \\****\CitrixUserData\UPL\SWIFTVDI\Layers.json

Date:          4/11/2020 12:12:04 PM
Level:         Error
Description:
Error encountered while elastically attaching assigned layers.  No layers have been attached.

Date:          4/11/2020 12:12:24 PM
Description:
User josephg logged in successfully.  No elastic layers were attached.