Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Windows 10 BSOD: Inaccessible Boot Device after 1803 feature update

Patrick Hjelt

Question

I'm trying to install the latest Windows 10 Feature Update (1803) on a VM running on XenServer 7.4, but every time after doing the initial restart to install (or actually after a lot of installation items done, and a few auto-restarts), it ends up with the INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE BSOD:

image.thumb.png.7cce3f9e64359035b761357f846a9978.png

I would guess that the Xen PV storage drivers get overwritten by Windows' own updated storage drivers somehow, and that's what's causing this; so I tried to pre-emptively uninstall the Xen Agent (and the VDA just in case, since this is part of a XenDesktop environment (not using MCS or PVS, though, as this is a test workstation, so that shouldn't be an issue)), and also uninstalled my AV just in case. Same error message.

I even tried manually uninstalling all the Xen PV drivers, deleted the xenfilt registry entries (per some blog I ran across on how to completely remove xentools), and disabled the Xen services, but that only resulted in an immediate (after normal restart) BSOD with the same error message, so that's also a no-go.

Fortunately, I have a snapshot with a working Windows 10 from just before the installation (actually, it's from after the first failed installation, after I did a rollback to the previous version of Windows, but it works normally), so I can try out different approaches.

So, any suggestions how I should proceed on this?

- Pud.0

9 answers to this question

On 18/05/2018 at 7:02 PM, Alan Lantz said:

Mine isn't part of any imaging, maybe that is the difference. 

Mine isn't part of any imaging either (like I said, I use neither MCS nor PVS); it's just a regular VM with XenDesktop VDA installed so I can use it as a XenDesktop. But good to know this isn't a versionwide problem, but one apparently isolated to my setup. If all else fails, I can just do a fresh new installation (this is a test desktop, after all), and hope that one doesn't run into the same problems; I'm really only trying to understand why it's doing this, so I know to avoid any potential pitfalls in the future, when we'll have all our desktops on Win10.

- Pud.0

On 5/20/2018 at 11:44 PM, Patrick Hjelt said:

Mine isn't part of any imaging either (like I said, I use neither MCS nor PVS); it's just a regular VM with XenDesktop VDA installed so I can use it as a XenDesktop. But good to know this isn't a versionwide problem, but one apparently isolated to my setup. If all else fails, I can just do a fresh new installation (this is a test desktop, after all), and hope that one doesn't run into the same problems; I'm really only trying to understand why it's doing this, so I know to avoid any potential pitfalls in the future, when we'll have all our desktops on Win10.

- Pud.0

Did you ever figure this out? I am having the same problem right now.

Thanks,

Freddie

On 31/05/2018 at 6:22 PM, Freddie Vierra said:

Did you ever figure this out? I am having the same problem right now.

Unfortunately, no. I ended up just postponing the update for now, until I have time to do some more troubleshooting. If you do find out anything, I'm more than interested in hearing your findings. I will post here when I get the chance to test some more.

- Pud.0

Has anyone had any success in getting around this issue yet?  I have been facing the same issues for the past 4-5 months, attempting all possible solutions that I can think of to perform the upgrade successfully.  I am also trying to understand what might be causing the break as to avoid in the future!

I've had this same issue for the last six months or so and just kept putting off Windows Updating my Windows 10 VM. Today, I used the Sept 2018 Windows 10.1809 ISO to create a new Windows 10 VM. I was then able to fully Windows Update it without issue (so far). The ISO came from MSDN and I used our license server to license it.  I was never able to Windows Update the older Windows 10 VM without getting the "Inaccessible Boot Device" error and just wanted to get past it.

Hi guys,

I know this is quite an old thread, but I was fighting with the BSoD "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" for quite a while, too. But lately, I struggled over a way to solve this problem during upgrades (ie. LTSC 1809 -> 21H2). Here my steps to succeed:

*) download and execute RAPR tool and perform forced deletion of all xen drivers

xenbus.inf might require a 2nd attempt to get it off the system

*) uninstall the XenTools / XenAgent

NO reboot at this moment!

*) delete any remaining 'upperfilters = xenfilt' from registry (hklm\system\currentcontrolset)

*) not necessary, but worth to clean up

net stop xenagent && sc delete xenagent
del %systemroot%\system32\xen*.*
del %systemroot%\system32\drivers\xen*.*

*) reboot

*) perform the Windows upgrade from .iso

*) reinstall the xen agent & drivers

I hope, this helps others to get ahead on this topic.

BfN, Konrad

My steps: (the order of the steps is important)

1. Uninstall Citrix VM Tools with NO reboot

2. Open "Device Manager"-> "Storage controllers"

3. Uninstall Device "XenServer PV Storage Host Adapter" 

4. Set checkbox "Delete the driver.."  Press Uninstall, no reboot

5. Uninstall devices in System devices:

-XenServer Interface

- XenServer  PV Network Class

- XenServer PV BUS (002) 

- XenServer PV BUS (C02)

with selecting "Delete the driver.."  and no reboot

6 Open registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

7. Delete keys:

- xenagent

- xenbus

- xenbus_monitor

- xendisk

- XENFILT

- xeniface

-XenInstall

- xennet

- XenSvc

- xenvbd

- xenvif

9. Reboot VM

10. Reboot again when appear message  "XenServer PV Host Adapter needs to restart ..."

11. Install Windows