Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Grey/Black Screen - Published Desktop - 7.15 LTSR CU1 - Server 2016

Question

Hi all,

We are getting black or grey screens at login to published desktops. The environment is XenApp 7.15 LTSR CU1 - Windows Server 2016, Published Desktops, running on physical HP DL160 Gen9 servers (no GPU, other than the built in Matrox)

Restarting the DDC or VDA fixes the issue. I suspect the DDC resolves the issue as it causes the VDA to register with another DDC and restarting the VDA, well, that causes registration to occurs again. The published desktop session stays presented to the user as a grey or black screen indefinitely and the session needs to be logged off and server restarted. The session itself on the VDA looks ok - startup applications and other expected processes are operating normally. CR is not a factor - any version or client exhibits the issue.

It definitely looks to be VDA based.

CTX Support advised CTX225819 DisableLogonUISuppression - but this is specific to Published Applications and did not resolve the issue.

I'm aware of the private hotfix for a similar issue for 7.17 and 7.15 LTSR CU2 - but no chatter as yet that this issue affects LTSR CU1. https://discussions.citrix.com/topic/394538-continued-problems-with-black-screen-at-session-start-with-windows-10/?page=2

We've captured logs and sent through to CTX support, hopefully they'll highlight a cause. The platform has been in production for over a month as we've scaled up the user count - the issue only starting to occur in the last 5 days.

The only visible issues in event logs or similar we've managed to find are:

Event ID 1005 Source CtxUvi

"The Citrix Universal DLL Injection Driver has encountered an unexpected error."

followed by

Event ID 1003 Source CtxUvi

"The Citrix Universal DLL Injection Driver has detected an integrity error during process creation. The Citrix Universal DLL Injection Driver has been disabled."

These event log errors always occur just prior to when the grey/black screen is reported. We suspect that re-registering the VDA resolves this issue and allows logins back on - achieved so far by restarting the VDA.

We've setup scheduled task based email alerts to be notified when the CTXUVI errors occur so we can take action. We are also look to potentially self heal within that alert when the issue occurs by setting maintenance mode and/or restarting services (Citrix Desktop Service) to force a registration and see if this fixes the issue. 

That and awaiting feedback from Citrix Support on the logs and info we've provided.

Will update once we have further info. Has anyone encountered anything similar relating to CTXUVI event log errors and black/grey screens at login.

I did find this article, but doesn't match 7.15 and no further info regarding symptoms.  https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX226605

Keen to hear any ideas if you have some time!

Cheers

Iain

Edited by Ashen.NZ
Added CTX article I forgot to paste in.

5 answers to this question

Hello Iain,

Were you able to solve the issues you reported?

The CtxUvi event you mentioned is definitely the cause of the grey screen when launching a published desktop, this driver normally disables itself when something modifies some registry key/file system paths that should not be modified, it does this as a security measure.

Let me know if you are still having this issue.

Hi Diego,

We worked together on this support ticket. The CTXUVI service was failing with Trend Deep Security 10.x installed. This was due to Citrix hooking of Trend processes - putting in exceptions for Trend processes did not resolve the issue.

Downgrading to Trend Deep Securit 9.6.2.x resolved the issue - in effect, by working around the problem.

We were unable to capture debug logs via Trend Deep Security that had sufficient detail in them for Trend support to isolate the cause. 

Cheers

Ash.

On 9/24/2018 at 5:47 PM, Iain Johnston1709158342 said:

Hi Diego,

We worked together on this support ticket. The CTXUVI service was failing with Trend Deep Security 10.x installed. This was due to Citrix hooking of Trend processes - putting in exceptions for Trend processes did not resolve the issue.

Downgrading to Trend Deep Securit 9.6.2.x resolved the issue - in effect, by working around the problem.

We were unable to capture debug logs via Trend Deep Security that had sufficient detail in them for Trend support to isolate the cause. 

Cheers

Ash.

Hi Ash,

We have Trend Micro Officescan agent installed on our XenDesktops. I also see the same issue sometimes where I have to shutdown the machine couple of times and then it works fine. Any ideas?

Thanks